PDA

View Full Version : Fibre Broadband

shellman
11-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Hi - Can't believe how good this little box now is...thanks again to the team for keeping us ahead of the rest....Just one quick question - I am thinking of upgrading my broadband to fibre to get more speed for us all around the home - does the box still work OK with that - and infact does the increased speed help at all with the occasional freezing particularly on IPTV ? Any help would be appreciated .

voyager1972
11-07-2014, 06:58 PM
i recently upgraded to fibre with a download speed of 66mb,,,, i have no issues with the iptv on the spiderbox,,also streaming with android mx2 ,.
before this i had a broadband speed of 10mb from a fixed wireless connecton which was the only option in my area at the time .i had nothing but problems with it, streaming was a nightmare.
now with the fibre i can do all at once with no issues, i see a vast improvement in online gaming ,black ops and mw are a delight to play again.....for me the fibre is well worth the extra few quid.

heyho
15-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Had fibre (Sky) for around a year now. Mine is rated at 40mbs. There's the Xbox, PS3, a main computer, a laptop, a couple of android/kindles constantly using it and the speed is great. Was at 4mbs before that so you notice a big difference. I also have to VPN in to work quite a lot and the response is almost like being in front of the remote PC. Go for it you won't be disappointed.

Remember though that, obviously, the fibre is only part of the picture. There's the wi-fi within your house to consider as well. I use a combination of 'hard' wiring using Homeplugs and also wifi (using a wireless extender as well for the silly area in our kitchen extension that is wrapped in Kingspan insulation and really kills the wi-fi). I ended up using a Homeplug with my 6000 as I was having problems with wireless but I know that was down to the actual location and not the box itself.

I also swapped the supplied Sky router for a Dlink DIR-615 which has 'better' wi-fi coverage and flashed it with the open source DD-WRT firmware.

Nikkas
15-07-2014, 02:05 PM
Fibre is da dogz! Anything 30 or over will get you good IPTV & even iPlayer type services in full HD.

echelon
15-07-2014, 02:12 PM
generally speaking , I cant see anyone having a broadband issue as long as their home BB exceeds 2 meg so a typical BB of between say 3 meg and 8 meg (or higher) is fine

I am not even on fibre as mine is copper 2 wire adsl with "up to" 18 meg and typically 9 meg and I dont have problems streaming so I fail to see how anyone with fibre and a much higher bandwidth and speed could have any problems at all

obviously wired ethernet is better than wireless (router to your satellite box) so that could be an issue on any wifi device and there are some modifications posted to get a better aerial onto this box , but that is true of any device and any box

the speed of the sender and contention rates can also be an issue but has nothing to do with the spiderbox , as I always say, drive a ferrari enzo behind an electric milk float and you are going as fast as the electric milk float !