PDA

View Full Version : In line amplifiers

dog-man
04-08-2014, 10:59 AM
I am sure that I still have some 'in line amplifiers' that I used to use some years ago.
I can't recall why I stopped using them or why I actually used them.

Are they worth using?

What should I consider before using one of these, good and bad?

dog-man
04-08-2014, 11:13 AM
My cable runs are longer than your average run.

digicon
04-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Long Cable runs require Decent enough cable something like WF/TX165 then no need for in-Line amplifiers

Detlef
04-08-2014, 10:56 PM
I am sure that I still have some 'in line amplifiers' that I used to use some years ago.
I can't recall why I stopped using them or why I actually used them. . . . . .

You probably needed them when even the main Sats (28E, 19E and 13E) were much weaker.

As said, they are useful to drive long cable runs but on short runs or if mounted near the receiver they boost the noise and the signal so no gain.

dog-man
05-08-2014, 06:43 AM
Weather allowing, I might experiment next weekend.

I might also try a few of my old lnb's as I don't believe I am getting as strong a signal as I should be. Perhaps my current lnb is on it's way out.

TonyO
05-08-2014, 09:16 AM
In line amplifiers are a strange beast, sometimes they work brilliantly and some times they do nothing or even make the signal worse.

They cant improve the signal quality one jot but they can help you keep all the signal without losses that the lnb receives before poor cabling and badly weathered connectors drag the signal down losing you quality.

Poor connector joints or cable before the booster drags the whole lot down so the boosters only have a poor signal to work with so they don't work well then.

dog-man
05-08-2014, 01:42 PM
Inverto black ultra is good lnb.

That is the lnb, I am currently using.

Since using it, my signal strength has never been as high as it used to be.

Something is wrong and I am unsure what it is.

My guess is that either the dish is not completely accurate, or the lnb has been faulty from new.

I am in extreme SE UK and can only get a max of 76% / 11.5db signal strength on 19.2E.
I should be and was getting much higher. Nothing has changed except changing the motor to a dark motor and the current Inverto Ultra Black lnb.

Hopefully, the weather will be good next weekend and I will have the time to fiddle.

Mumbles
05-08-2014, 08:20 PM
A bigger dish would be better than an amplifier...