PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ rcu

Satcat
17-08-2014, 12:27 PM
I've noticed that my new VU+ solo2 doesn't always respond to remote right away. I sometimes have to press a button more than once to get a response. Even though it's new, I changed batteries, but it made no difference. It is't a major problem, but was wondering if there's a solution.

DCG
17-08-2014, 01:10 PM
which image is it I noticed a slow change on open pli

Satcat
17-08-2014, 01:40 PM
I have vix image installed. I was reading elsewhere that it could be interference from plasma tv, is that possible?

DCG
17-08-2014, 01:55 PM
not sure about tvs but think I read some ware about portable phones

pheonix
17-08-2014, 02:01 PM
yes many things can interfere with the infra red sensor, even the humble power saving light bulbs can have a drastic effect on infra red remote control units. Try changing the default RCU frequency on both the RCU and receiver to see if that makes a difference, but remember if you reflash the image at a later date you will have to reset the RCU otherwise it will no longer control the receiver.

Satcat
17-08-2014, 02:33 PM
yes many things can interfere with the infra red sensor, even the humble power saving light bulbs can have a drastic effect on infra red remote control units. Try changing the default RCU frequency on both the RCU and receiver to see if that makes a difference, but remember if you reflash the image at a later date you will have to reset the RCU otherwise it will no longer control the receiver.

It's set on 2. I tried both 1 and 3, but just the same, but was worth a try.

Mickha
17-08-2014, 02:41 PM
You could try unplugging your television, and anything else that could cause interference, including a DECT telephone, then try your remote, just to change channel.
If it works normally then start plugging things back in, one by one, testing the remote as you go, to see what's causing the problem, if anything.

Satcat
17-08-2014, 03:49 PM
Changing channels is no problem, works fine. It's in menus that it stutters.
I just tried this:- went into menu, scrolled down, it goes down the menu 2 or 3 items, then stutters, then another 2 or 3 then stutters again. I then switched tv off and scrolled down again and according to the display on front of VU it seemed to be changing menu item on every press. So it sounds like it is interference from my panasonic plasma, but want's the solution. Don't say buy another tv. lol.

nml
17-08-2014, 04:33 PM
It is the plasma, I have had the same problem but strangely it is worse with some images then others the two that I have had the most problems with were Vix and Openspa the latter was worse.

However it is a lot better with Openpli 4. I don't know why, but give it a try I think that you will be impressed.

nml

Satcat
17-08-2014, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the confirmatiom nml. I'm new to linux, I've have only had the box for a week and have a lot to learn yet, but I'll certainly try that image when I become a little more confident.

What about Blackhole, can you report on that.

sonic1
17-08-2014, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the confirmatiom nml. I'm new to linux, I've have only had the box for a week and have a lot to learn yet, but I'll certainly try that image when I become a little more confident.

What about Blackhole, can you report on that.

Works fine for me bud everyone is different.

nml
17-08-2014, 07:23 PM
No I don't know about BlackHole with the Solo 2, not tried it.

Before I bought the Solo I used my Duo on the same tv with no problem this would suggest that code 1 is OK, I will give that a go when I have a chance.

A couple of other things, a number of people on other forums have reported that switching HDMI-CEC off works and other have said putting the tv in power saving mode works. Neither worked for me.

Finally don't worry about trying other images it just takes minutes to reflash just make a full backup of the image you have on now if you don't like the new image just flash the backup.

There are great tutorials in the VU section.

nml

Satcat
22-08-2014, 11:44 AM
I've been doing a bit of googling and discovered that solo2 with plasma tv's is a problem. One solution suggested was to put some masking tape over the sensor on the front of the box. I tried that with a small peice of black insulation tape but I got no responce from the rcu (too thick/dense). So I then tried a piece of brown parcel tape, and hey presto, problem solved. RCU was very responsive.
The only drawback is that the box looks awful with a bit of brown tape stuck on it.

Update. I've been experimenting with different types and sizes of tape and now have a piece of black insulation tape 10mm x 5mm stuck over the top half of the sensor, which is less obtrusive, and has solved the problem. :hurray: