PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Actuator - Help Needed, Please

stevethejack
28-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Got a new 18" Jaeger Superjack actuator. I'm in the middle of taking down the old one, but I'm stuck removing the final bolt and wondered what I'm doing wrong.

The bolt in question is in the attached photo, after much WD40 both last week to let it soak in and today, I finally get the bolt to move, managed to get the nut off the bottom, but the bolt itself is not coming out.

Looking at it, there are 2 spacers either side of the circle of the actuator, do I need to do anything to these spacers, hold them while using the socket wrench from above?

When using the socket wrench, it's turning the bolt but not lifting the bolt up. I've tried putting pressure on the bolt from below by pushing the head of a hammer upwards while using the socket wrench, but it's still not lifting out of the hole.

I wanted to do this myself, both for the satisfaction of doing it myself (especially considering I'm not good with heights) and to save a few quid, but at a loss at the moment and may have to call in a satellite installer to finish the job.

Whatever help anyone can give will be most appreciated, cheers
Steve

ian
28-09-2014, 01:26 PM
The nut has nylon inside it (nylock) to prevent it undoing itself,thats why you found it hard,but the bolt itself is not attached to anything,it just pushes through the actuator ball joint and the spacers and also through the dish,so thread the nut back onto it,untill you feel it getting tight in your fingers,then get your persuader (hammer) and just hit the nut until the bolt starts to move upwards.

you are only putting the nut back on slightly to avoid damaging the threads of the bolt.once it moves,remove both the nut and the bolt.Job done.

Ian.

digicon
28-09-2014, 01:28 PM
those spacers and bolts come with the new actuator, so if you have freed the nut from the bottom it should just be a case of of maybe a slight hammer tap to work this free

stevethejack
28-09-2014, 01:29 PM
Job done - The spacers were rusted to the bolt. I used an adjustable wrench to hold the spacer while I moved the bolt with the socket wrench until the rust broke free, did the same with the second spacer, now actuator is completely off. I'll be greasing up the new one a massive amount, and now I have a ladder long enough to get to the dish, will be doing it a couple of times a year.

Thanks guys.

jrbmw
28-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Theres no thread on the spacers the bolt should knock out .Changed my actuator a few times over the years .
It may be the weight of the dish on the arm stopping it coming out.

jrbmw
28-09-2014, 03:00 PM
Sod that ladder lark .Took my dish off the side of the house and put it in the garden ......nice and easy for maintenance now and safer