PDA

View Full Version : hdd cable for solo2

sh500
13-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Hi all,

Been a viewer of this site for a while. But just signed up today...

I need the power Sata cable to connect a hdd in a VuSolo2 (the package has been lost ).

I know a user has said the 'p4sata1.jpg' would be suitable, but:

1) Only the P4 connector will be connected to the motherboard (and not the inline Molex).
2) I see that there is no 5v red cable connection between the P4 and Sata connector. Doesn't laptop (2.5") hard drives require the 5V feed as opposed to the yellow 12v?

Or have I got it all wrong?!

gbmitie
13-10-2014, 06:06 PM
61578yes you have got it all wrong. All you need is the correct sata cable, have you checked carefully!! One came with my solo2. have a look at images

this is the cable in the box, note the square 4 pin power to MB and the sata to mb, can you not contact supplier?

sh500
13-10-2014, 07:51 PM
61578yes you have got it all wrong. All you need is the correct sata cable, have you checked carefully!! One came with my solo2. have a look at images

this is the cable in the box, note the square 4 pin power to MB and the sata to mb, can you not contact supplier?

The Solo2 is a friend's and he does not know where the package/box is. I know they come with one and also what the original one looks like - the point is I don't have it.

echelon
13-10-2014, 09:14 PM
I think you will have to make one up, either by making up just the power side cable and using a standard sata cable of suitable length,

OR using an all in one (combo) sata cable at the hdd end and joining a P4 cable to the power side, making sure the correct colours go to the correct pins, using the picture in post #2 as a guide

so basically making the power cable side work using the correct plugs and wiring the correct pins together, assuming the P4 connector is correct for the solo 2 motherboard socket (making sure it has red/yellow/ + 2 black wires)

the sata data cable will be standard

^^COMPASS^^
13-10-2014, 10:18 PM
This looks like what your looking for
Dell OptiPlex 745 755 USFF SATA Power Cable UX136

on the bay item Number: 281223931096

echelon
13-10-2014, 10:23 PM
or try this item number: 400718442072 as its a lot cheaper, lol

or better still 361045825584 or 151405988533

sh500
14-10-2014, 10:06 AM
I tried the 'Dell' cable (found from work) I thought my luck was in. When connected, the box only shows the power light on the front. Nothing on the digital screen.

As soon as I pull either end of this cable, the box starts up fine. The Dell cable is wired slightly differently, well it has the extra 3.3v? orange cable. I can't modify the pins as it's near impossible to remove the pins from the P4 connector end.

I was also considering the other p4 connector with multiple power connectors. I will need a Molex to Sata power adapter too. This seems like it has the same pin outs already.

Worst case, as suggested, I will need to chop and recrimp a cable to fit a p4 plug.

Why can't they just use industry standard inline Molex on the board!

echelon
14-10-2014, 11:16 AM
I did notice that orange wire and wondered about it myself

the ideal is make your own up using the multiple cable and ensure the colours and voltages are correct, then wire it to a sata power lead so the power is connected correctly , and use a standard sata data cable - this is what I would do to fix it as I could not actually find the correct lead apart from those we uploaded pictures of , so its adapt a molex one and use a P4 suitably wired cable as long as the P4 fits the mobo

stevethejack
14-10-2014, 11:58 AM
I have a spare SATA cable from a Vu Duo - I'm assuming it'll work in your Solo2 (can anyone confirm this?). PM me your name and address and I'll pop it in the post to you.

hda5
14-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Power connector cable for Duo is different to the one used in a Solo2, Steve.

Duo2 connector will work in Solo2 but not one from a Duo.

stevethejack
14-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Cheers for the info - I have a Duo2 but no spare cable for it, so can't help.

Sh500 - Worth being nice on the phone to Vu, see if they'll send you one free of charge - you never know

sh500
14-10-2014, 02:28 PM
All the replies are much appreciated. Thanks for the offer of cable Stevethejack. But yes, the cable is different.

I think making the cable is best bet then. I'll try to source a blank p4 plug with pin connectors included. Can I get away with just using pliers as opposed to a dedicated crimp tool?

cosworth4x4
14-10-2014, 04:28 PM
you dont really need to buy a new plug , just do what ech says above cut them half way between each connector , then just join them back together matching the pin positions on board to hdd, you have the picture above posted by gbmitie.

you can solder them or crimp back together , just tape them up well so you get no shorts.

sh500
15-10-2014, 10:12 AM
you dont really need to buy a new plug , just do what ech says above cut them half way between each connector , then just join them back together matching the pin positions on board to hdd, you have the picture above posted by gbmitie.

you can solder them or crimp back together , just tape them up well so you get no shorts.

I don't think there are any pre made p4 plugs that that have the same pin configuration as what is required. Either its just two yellows and two blacks. Or its got the extra orange wire.

echelon
15-10-2014, 10:59 AM
doesnt matter too much about the colours, but try to rearrange as many as possible to be the correct colour in the correct place

then put red tape or a red sleeve around the "red wire" (even if its black or yellow or orange in actual colour)

possibly use any orange as a substitute for red (so you know its actually red)- put some red insulation tape around it too , to identify it

you will now have 4 pins of the "correct colour" in the correct orientation

now solder these to the correct colours on the combo sata lead you buy (or a power sata lead) - I would use heat shrinking over the soldered joint to insulate it - so 4 soldered connections, insulated by heat shrinking or electrical tape, test to ensure the power voltages are correct (and earths) and that should be it , one cable made up from two and wired accordingly

so when you have all four the correct colour in the correct place

sh500
15-10-2014, 01:09 PM
doesnt matter too much about the colours, but try to rearrange as many as possible to be the correct colour in the correct place

then put red tape or a red sleeve around the "red wire" (even if its black or yellow or orange in actual colour)

possibly use any orange as a substitute for red (so you know its actually red)- put some red insulation tape around it too , to identify it

you will now have 4 pins of the "correct colour" in the correct orientation

now solder these to the correct colours on the combo sata lead you buy (or a power sata lead) - I would use heat shrinking over the soldered joint to insulate it - so 4 soldered connections, insulated by heat shrinking or electrical tape, test to ensure the power voltages are correct (and earths) and that should be it , one cable made up from two and wired accordingly

so when you have all four the correct colour in the correct place

Yes, I can do that of course, but thought it would be a 'messy' option ha.

I've gone for bay item: 111478487700

Will cut off one end of a SATA power cable and connect to the above connector.

sh500
25-10-2014, 02:01 PM
Hi all,

Just an update..

The blank 2x2 connector finally arrived.

I cut off an existing plug from a 2x2 ATX 12V cable, which had a SATA power on the other end. Crimped on the new plug following the correct pin out colours. Everything works fine.

NB: The white 2x2 plug is the existing plug and the black one is the new blank plug.

See attached pictures.