PDA

View Full Version : Spiderbox 6000 connection via 3G Network

satscene
30-01-2015, 06:59 PM
Anyone connected by this option?

Just spent a fruitless afternoon trying to get a friends box connected this way (he doesn`t have landline). Tried both O2 and Vodafone dongles with no luck. Coverage for 3G is good in this area.

A blue flashing light on both dongles is as far as it goes. Tried to take off `Auto` settings in 3G menu and select under Manual but it still doesn`t connect.

Am i missing something here or what?

Roadrunner
30-01-2015, 07:19 PM
I tried to connect with a 3 dongle and no luck either. The light on it goes green as if its connected but network status shows: 'no connect'

echelon
30-01-2015, 09:05 PM
try using a "dongle type" router (one that uses mobile phone dongle , like edimax)

then have the spider connect to the router in the usual manner

satscene
30-01-2015, 10:05 PM
try using a "dongle type" router (one that uses mobile phone dongle , like edimax)

then have the spider connect to the router in the usual manner

Yes, have used the Edimax before, and it would probably work ok..

but when i queried this last year blackdevil replied with .. "It works with dongle.
Go Menu-Multimedia-Network settings and select this option. "

I then thought it was just a matter of plugging the dongle in and away we go,

maybe blackdevil could comment on this again - maybe its a firmware issue??

blackdevil
30-01-2015, 11:13 PM
Can you write step by step the procedure you follow ?
Are you using this option ?

satscene
31-01-2015, 01:04 AM
Yes BD i`ve used both the Auto option and the Manual one you posted there...

i changed to `European` then selected `U.K.`

the next line `Operator` doesn`t open - i thought i could put my provider in there ie, O2 or Vodaphone

??

blackdevil
31-01-2015, 04:55 PM
I am not in UK so i cannot test UK 3G internet providers.
You must wait a little untill i can confirm it and give a solution.

cutain
31-01-2015, 07:46 PM
slightly off topic, I have had either sky or virgin broadband for the last few years and have connected either wired or wireless.
last year I have a smart phone from ee with monthly data limit of 2 gig and pay about £8 per month. which I use for various apps.

although I have never used a phone to connect to my spiderbox, I did ask lee at goldwafers about this, but it was mentioned that connecting in this way could incur high charges if data limit is exceeded.

I would be interested if this is actually the case(phone to sb) as I have always needed fairly expensive broadband packages because the sbox needs connection to the internet.

murph
02-02-2015, 08:01 PM
I use a 3 network Dongle ,I plug it into a TP Link 3g Wireless N Router it works very well, I don't think you can plug it direct to spiderbox.
I also used dongle in my laptop and connected to spiderbox with a Ethernet cable as a network bridge .
easiest thing is to get a TP Link Router and go down that route (no pun intended),I use router then for internet on my laptop and spiderbox Iks ,Seallions etc
I used to use same setup on a pay as you go dongle and 3gig a month was plenty.

satscene
02-02-2015, 08:28 PM
Yes, it will work fine going through the 3G router ok, but according to blackdevils info it should be a straightforward plug in and connect.
As the settings are already there in the menu for other countries I`m almost sure it`s a firmware issue with our UK mobile providers not being recognised.
A caravanning friend has this set-up on one of the Openbox variants so i`m sure it could work the same on the 6000.

katy123
02-02-2015, 10:35 PM
i have had spiderbox 6000hd working off a mobile phone wifi hotspot with EE
it seems to work better on the foreign sats better.
i have had it working abroad using the same method
try the sim in a mobile phone ,mine is only 3g and works well

blackdevil
08-02-2015, 06:02 PM
We need a tester living in UK & having Vodafone 3G dongle.
Can contact me in pm.