PDA

View Full Version : LAN connection dropping out using powerline sockets

rob588cliff
08-02-2015, 05:43 PM
Hi,

I installed a Spiderbox 6000HD box in my son's room a few months back. To get it working quickly I ran a LAN cable from the router to the box and all was good. About 6 wks ago I decided to purchase some Powerline Ethernet sockets, all appeared to be OK however, when the box is not used for any length of time (IE over night) the connection drops out. The only way to re-establish the Ethernet connection is to re-boot the Spider box.

I've proved that using a cable direct from router to spider box I don't get the issue.
I've tried two different brands of Powerline sockets and get the same issue (Devolo and TP link).
To resolve the issue I have to re-boot the spider box, I do not need to do anything with the Powerline sockets.
If I leave the TV physically switched on the connection is fine, no drop outs.
The Powerline sockets show throughout that the connection is fine (static green light) and this is proven by the fact that if I unplug the Ethernet cable from the spider box and put it into my laptop I get full Internet connection.

Any ideas what else I can try to resolve the issue ????????

Thanks

Rob.

PS - It's not practical to use a LAN cable long term.

jbvid
08-02-2015, 06:00 PM
Hi
Tried Wi-fi ?
Have a read here if your router has Wi-Fi
https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?168511-Is-there-a-way-to-improve-Wi-Fi-strength&highlight=WIFI+EXTENDER
Just to add you could also try changing your LAN connection from Auto DHPC to a manual address or Manual to Auto.
jb

rob588cliff
08-02-2015, 06:13 PM
Thanks.

I did try WI-fi last week however, cutting a long story short I can only connect to my wi-fi via Spider box if I disable my security on the router ! I Googled it at the time and there is a lot of talk about this with the Spider box.

jbvid
08-02-2015, 07:21 PM
Hi
I only need to enter the Router password into the Spider wi-fi menu menu to connect to my Router or the Wi-Fi extender.
Only 2 options then, try changing your LAN connection between Auto/Manual or Manual/Auto using your homeplugs, or get a Router that will accept Wi-fi. Direct cable is always the best option, then in my opinion Wi-Fi, then Homeplugs.
jb

rob588cliff
08-02-2015, 08:46 PM
Hi
I only need to enter the Router password into the Spider wi-fi menu menu to connect to my Router or the Wi-Fi extender.
Only 2 options then, try changing your LAN connection between Auto/Manual or Manual/Auto using your homeplugs, or get a Router that will accept Wi-fi. Direct cable is always the best option, then in my opinion Wi-Fi, then Homeplugs.
jb

Hi,

What do you mean by changing your LAN connection between Auto/Manual using your homeplugs ??

Thanks.

voyager1972
08-02-2015, 09:09 PM
i have the same issue with powerline adapters,,the connection drops out and i have to go into the network settings and connect again and everything is fine for another while...it dosent really bother me as it is a minor glitch.....and apart from that ,the box has performed flawlessly

jbvid
08-02-2015, 09:15 PM
@Rob
Change your LAN settings in the Spiders Network setup menu.
Its either set to Auto (DHPC) or Manual, change them, there are posts on here showing how to enter addresses manually, then see if your connection stays on when using your Homeplugs.
jb

voyager1972
08-02-2015, 09:44 PM
i have a static ip assigned to the box,,,,,,,and still have the issue......

jbvid
08-02-2015, 09:53 PM
Oh, out of suggestions then, looks like the O/P has to live with it or, change the Router to go Wi-Fi or use the direct cable connection.
jb

Roadrunner
08-02-2015, 10:15 PM
May also check on the routers Connection trigger if its set to Always ON ( the ON Demand aint always working correctly and could explain why when the same cable pulled from Spiderbox and plugged in to laptop gives connection)
. I think Jbvid mentioned all other possible solutions here (one other thing would be to use the homeplugs plugged in directly to the socket rather than the extension lead). I also use Homeplugs here on one of my boxes ( cheap BT Broadband Extender 200) and never experienced problems like that.

johnhenry
09-02-2015, 11:57 AM
Power Plug Connection problems on Satelite receiver, worth a check.
Over the past five years i have used Belkin Gigabit Powerline HD Networking Adapters ( Power Plugs ) to connect my Spiderbox to my Orange Livebox Router this saves having to run a long cable right across the room. However i started to experiance connection dropout problems. These constant drop outs were a real pain with me costantlly having to reconnect by turning off and on of the network and the receiver till it reconnected.

However the dropout problem was quite simple to correct only wish i had checked this earlier !

One evening i was disconnecting my laptop from the spare plug near to my Orange Livebox and i noticed my Belkin Adaptor which has three led lights was flashing on the middle led, which when i checked with the manual, stated that it was not connecting properly with the other adaptor on the other side of the room. Correcting the problem was so simple, after unpluging both adaptors i set them next to each other in a double plug socket and with the aid of a pointed tool ( paper clip would do ) i reset both adaptors back to their default factory setting by pushing the pointed object into the small hole in the adaptors put there for that purpose. Both adaptors then showed two constant lit led's ( power on led light and connection led light the third led only lights up once you connect again to your router ) this i did and connection was made nearly instantly.

Since doing this my channels have been rock solid, This problem came about because i had not checked these adaptors at least once a year, so if you use power plugs and you are having dropout problems it might be worth checking.

As ever it is nearly always such a simple problem which can be corrected so easily and remember to always keep your manuals, if you do mislay check on internet most manuals are on PDFs for you to download.