PDA

View Full Version : moving s** dish

davemaden
18-02-2015, 08:30 AM
someone has asked me if i can re-position their s** dish on their wall , it only needs moving about 6 feet , i havent a sat meter , and the dish is used for freesat which is built into the new samsung curved tv . dont know if there is some sort of signal meter built into tv , but is it possible i may be able to just bolt the dish to the new location without having to re-align the dish , and whats the best way to go about this ? thanks

echelon
18-02-2015, 10:23 AM
should be easy enough

mark the dish where it is with a black marker or tippex anywhere it is liable to move (joints , brackets etc) and take a note of where it seems to be pointing, so you know where 28 east is as a rough guide

then unbolt from the wall leaving all the other brackets tight, ideally so nothing is moved at all

mark the wall in the new place and drill the 4 holes and put large rawlplugs in , same size as already used (tens ?)

bolt it up and test it for signal and quality

now here is how I would do it

I would drop a sat cable down to the floor and have a small portable tv outside nearby, plus something like a spider box or the old tm1500 connected to the portable tv by scart or composite lead (yellow/red/white)

I would then put it on a channel like "the vault" or "vintage tv" (using a working pre installed channel list on this test box)

press info (twice ?) to get the signal and quality bars up, then adjust the dish slightly from its markings to peak the signals (ideally get the best quality)

check a few H channels and a few V channels , perferably the lower signal ones

then tighten it up and reconnect the indoor sat cable, test the internal tv (or internal sat box) last

job done

in other words, use a suitable third party sat box to peak the dish , a spiderbox (or old technomate) is ideal for this , with a small portable tv outside where you can see the signal bars from the top of the ladder

davemaden
18-02-2015, 07:04 PM
thanks for that