PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a tm but is there more support on here for a spider

Dixie
04-03-2015, 01:26 PM
Howdie. I have decided to join here to hopefully get some good advice before I take the plunge and buy all the gear. Used to go on these forums a few years back and found them invaluable when setting up/ flashing my cable box. My interests are football and watching movies and do***entaries etc.
Just had an interesting conversation with a guy on the phone who I was attempting to buy satellite stuff from. He advised me not to bother Seriously how does he make any money. Anyway he was muttering something about transponders and advised me to go android. Basically is it worth getting a dish and what do people think of my choice of equipment. To be honest I haven't got a clue so all advice would be welcome and hopefully I'll learn enough to be able to one day help some of the new members.

This is what I'm thinking of buying.

Triax 1.1m dish
Technomate 5402 HD M3 Receiver
Technomate TM2600 H-H Diseqc motor - Metal gear by Technomate INVERTO Ultra Single Output Satellite LNB - Black

What think ye all. As I've said I've not a clue.

echelon
04-03-2015, 01:34 PM
depends on your location which I dont think you mentioned above

also depends if you have a suitable south facing wall to mount the motor and dish
it needs an arc from say 42 east to 30 west passing through due south (zero), with no obstructions

the equipment would do the job, especially if you want a bespoke box and not linux

bear in mind that the above would only get anything that is FREE up there
so as it stands you wont decode the scrambled channels, except maybe a few with softcams and biss keys
certainly nothing on 28 east where sly comes from, only freesat from there with no "added extra" (c or n line)

Dixie
04-03-2015, 01:49 PM
In North Liverpool mate.My south facing wall is about 12 feet from the next house. Would that mean it would probably only work on the chimney? Am I better with linux as I love free stuff. Is Spiderbox linux?

echelon
04-03-2015, 01:57 PM
In North Liverpool mate.My south facing wall is about 12 feet from the next house. Would that mean it would probably only work on the chimney? Am I better with linux as I love free stuff. Is Spiderbox linux?

In North Liverpool mate

ok, well the equipment would work ok

My south facing wall is about 12 feet from the next house. Would that mean it would probably only work on the chimney?

chimneys are not recommended for this, plus you cannot go above the roofline either , plus in theory a 1.1m dish needs planning permission although nobody may notice ;) ( 1 metre is the maximum)

I would say the wall is too close so your dish wont "see" anything)

Am I better with linux as I love free stuff

opening scrambled channels isnt free, there is always a cost involved

Is Spiderbox linux?

no its not linux, its bespoke and currently no longer on sale apart from old stock

VU boxes are linux

Dixie
04-03-2015, 02:16 PM
It's not looking good is it.:o15: Next door have sly dish on front of house pointing down the street and somebody else has one at the back of the house at the end of their extension sort of pointing towards the houses. We have an extension too so if his sly dish works at the back wouldn't my;) 1m dish work there too.

Dixie
04-03-2015, 02:44 PM
Getting green lines from 42E to 30W . What are the desirable satellites for the stuff that needs to be de-scrambled at a cost and are the apps for mobile phones any good for deciding if this is a go'er or not.

UPDATE

Just downloaded a free sat finder app for my phone and a compass and looks like the end of the single story extension is OK. Easily getting all the western sats up to 30W and it seems (if the app is accurate) that the eastern sats are high enough up in the arc that they are above the rooftops of the adjacent houses. Result :hurray:

Dixie
04-03-2015, 04:05 PM
Could still do with lots of advice on best equipment to buy.Don't really want to spend much more than £100 on a receiver but want one that will enable me to get at all the scrambled stuff and anything else that's good.

Found this one for £109 VU+ Zero HD Single Tuner Linux Enigma 2 Satellite Receiver

echelon
04-03-2015, 04:39 PM
please note we have a site sponsor here, goldwafers

please check their site for equipment etc , especially as its all genuine

the VU boxes are linux , unlike the spiderbox or technomate 5402

the spider would have been ideal but is no longer on sale (unless you find 2014 stock)

best motor is a darkmotor

the triax dish is good, got one myself

the inverto ultrablack lnb is also a great lnb (I use a twin)

official VU boxes are great, cant go wrong with a vu but needs some computer savvy to work properly

plenty of tutorials for supported boxes on here

sounds like you may be ok on the extension, but check our dish and lnb forums for pictures of existing setups etc

check the VU ZERO forum here for info on this new box to their range

Dixie
04-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Thanks very much lads for taking the time out to help me.Much appreciated.

den123
04-03-2015, 10:01 PM
just had the technomate 5402 m3 iam realy please with it can not say a bad thing about it

Dixie
04-03-2015, 10:47 PM
Echelon said this.

so as it stands you wont decode the scrambled channels, except maybe a few with softcams and biss keys
certainly nothing on 28 east where sly comes from, only freesat from there with no "added extra" (c or n line)

echelon
04-03-2015, 10:57 PM
Echelon said this.

that is true of 95% of boxes, one exception was the spiderbox which had a 12 month "gift" but still didnt open anything on 28 east without some internet "help" , so more 13e and 19e and 0.8w for example

39e opens with softcams (plus some others)

biss channels like bbc on 27.5w or others on 15w or 10e open with biss keys (plus others)

Dixie
04-03-2015, 11:22 PM
would the tm 5402 open everything with internet help or is it defo a Linux you need for that. I want something you can open everything on and don't mind downloading patches and stuff if that's what is needed. I'm reasonably PC savvy. Once built a desktop and used to do my own cable box. Just not satellite savvy.

echelon
04-03-2015, 11:33 PM
no box will open everything , no matter if its bepoke or linux

for example , sly HD wont open no matter what you try , be it UK or ITALIA

a lot of subbed cards are now paired to the box, so dont raise your expectations too high

internet "help" will help open some channels, but dont get over excited or you face disappointment

Dixie
04-03-2015, 11:45 PM
It's Linux then:respect-048: thanks

holmroad
05-03-2015, 01:02 AM
It's Linux then:respect-048: thanks

Its totally up to YOU Dixie, but as with Den123 I too have a TM5402HD M3 and am VERY satisfied with it, but obviously for what I want!
Much of 28E opens with internet help, even SOME HD channels (e.g. BT Sport & ESPN) - been watching Newcastle v Man U in beautiful HD on BT HD 1 tonight, no probs!
Two USB's - one front & one back.
Plus there's always IPTV viewable via M3, plus as echelon states some left via softcam, Biss keys and even smartcard, also hc XXXX via two options on M3, so it really DOES depend on what you actually WANT from your stb mate!

Dixie
05-03-2015, 01:56 AM
Just taken the plunge and gone for the Vu+ Zero, 1.1 Dish , Dark Motor and a 2 inch scaffold pole to put it up.

I watched the blues getting stuffed again.:cuss:

Need to learn more about IPTV Biss keys and cams. Haven't got a clue to be honest.

Aldo
05-03-2015, 10:09 AM
The TM5402 would of been a simpler way.

Or he could have possibly waited for the replacement receiver for the Spiderbox 6000.

holmroad
05-03-2015, 10:27 AM
Well he's made his decision now, so good luck to Dixie, sure he'll be ok - or rather his new box will be! lol!!

Dixie
05-03-2015, 11:19 AM

Is the Vu+zero very complicated or something ? Suppose I wanted something with more access to everything out there ;) and was advised Linux was probably my best bet. Don't mind if it's a little complicated I'm sure I'll pick it up. I've just thought is a two inch pole ok with the dark motor ?

Mickha
05-03-2015, 12:08 PM
We all had to learn, and I'm sure you'll quickly pick it up.
First check the guides, provided by Lee, from goldwafers:
https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?169821-Dummies-guide-to-setting-up-Vu-Zero

The most important part is setting up your dish/motor, most of us have gone through quite a few receivers, over the years, but tend to stick with the same dish.

Dixie
05-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Cheers for that. Was thinking of setting up motorised dish using USALS. Do you think that's a good idea ?

echelon
05-03-2015, 01:12 PM

Is the Vu+zero very complicated or something ? Suppose I wanted something with more access to everything out there ;) and was advised Linux was probably my best bet. Don't mind if it's a little complicated I'm sure I'll pick it up. I've just thought is a two inch pole ok with the dark motor ?

my dark motor is find on a scaffold pole, not sure of the pole dimension (which is a standard scaffold pole) but they are certainly ideal for the job , especially if used with robust T-K brackets

Dixie
05-03-2015, 01:35 PM
it's 50mm. Just checked out your tutorial for setting up a dish with motor and at first glance it looks slightly complicated but I like a challenge :p

Goldwafers are nice and quick they're delivering tomorrow. Will have to wait until Monday though for the rest of my gear from elsewhere.

My modem is in another room from the TV so I'm going to probably go with a WiFi dongle. Are these OK or should I ideally be going for a wired connection for pure uninterrupted reception when internet access is required.;)

Dixie
11-03-2015, 04:59 PM
Can anyone advise on a WiFi dongle. Are the Vu+ one's just plug and play are there any cheaper options that are just as good. Finally you can't just put an Ethernet cable from the box to a BT extender plug can you ?

Dixie
11-03-2015, 05:14 PM
The BT box is plugged into it at the moment I think I actually threw some of these plugs out a few months ago can I plug a splitter into it and would it conflict in any way. Would set up be any different. Just thinking my dish is not up yet but If I plugged my Vu+ in now I'd get internet if it was all working properly wouldnt I ?

DCG
11-03-2015, 05:50 PM
this should be asked in the vu forum
not tecnomate 5000

thread closed