PDA

View Full Version : Low signal problem

dog-man
08-04-2015, 02:50 PM
I am having a strange problem with my vuduo box.

Last year I changed the motor to a dark motor superior.

Before that it was Jaeger H-H 36v motor via a Gbox.

It worked fine and the signal was very good with my 1.1 Triax dish.

Since I changed to the dark superior motor, I have been getting a much lower signal on all satellites.
I thought I had not aligned the dish correctly so have tinkered with it on many occasions to get the strongest signal using my meter.
I know it is following the arc correctly, I know my usals lat / long are correct, so why the hell would I have a lower signal from the moment I install the dark motor?

Using my vuduo on Astra 19.2E, I get around 70% or lower / around 11. something db signal level.

Using my old DB7020 on Astra 19.2E, I get a signal level in the 90's / around 16. something db.

I appreciate that different boxes will give different signal levels that that is a huge difference.
Some channels on Astra 19.2 (I am using this sat as an example, all sats are the same) are sometimes not there for me (Tune Failed), or they will appear with a signal level as above then quickly drop to 0.

I have been wasting my time on the dish as that seems to be pretty much spot on (ish), so what the hell could be my problem?

Can it be as simple as my vuduo is on it's last legs?

This problem started literally when I changed to the dark motor, so is it possible there is a problem with that?
I have checked both ends of the cable and they are fine. I have tried another connection on the quad lnb. I have even tried other lnb's.

I don't really want to buy another receiver at the moment if I can help it.

dog-man
08-04-2015, 04:20 PM
Something is wrong though.

How can I get intermittent reception on Astra 19.2 with a 1.1 dish that is aligned correctly?

I dare say, I would have the problem on other satellites too, it's just that I have noticed it on this satellite.
I have no trees or anything in the way.
It is a clear view to the satellites.

dog-man
08-04-2015, 04:34 PM
I should mention that my signal levels on this vuduo were as expected (in the 90's) before I changed to a dark motor superior or whatever it is called.

echelon
08-04-2015, 04:39 PM
set the motor to astra at 19e and put the box on standby or turn it off

disconnect the motor cable and connect direct to the lnb, if necessary use a back to back barrel connector

switch the box back on and test 19e astra

if you get the same problems, its not the motor , but could be a cable or lnb fault (or the box ; or the image on the box)

if it works fine then, and only then , could it be the passthrough in the motor

Mickha
08-04-2015, 04:55 PM
Some channels, on Astra 1, 19.2E, are giving me intermittent problems, these seem to be the french channels, the signal quality can sometimes be in the high 80's, then as low as 30-40, e.g. Paramount, Disney Cinemagic +1, yet other channels, on the same transponder, aren't causing any problems.
The German channels scan in at the expected 99% and stay solid.

dog-man
08-04-2015, 05:09 PM
set the motor to astra at 19e and put the box on standby or turn it off

disconnect the motor cable and connect direct to the lnb, if necessary use a back to back barrel connector

switch the box back on and test 19e astra

if you get the same problems, its not the motor , but could be a cable or lnb fault (or the box ; or the image on the box)

if it works fine then, and only then , could it be the passthrough in the motor

Good idea.

I will do that.

It can't be the LNb as I have tried 3 and one was brand new.

Has to be one of the following: -
1) The motor is not passing the full signal for some reason.
2) A cable fault, but I can't see that being the issue unless mice have attacked it as much of it runs under floorboards so I can't see it.
3) A receiver issue, perhaps the box is at the end of it's life and the tuner is failing. I will try and force it to use tuner B if I can.
4) As you say, an image problem. I use openpli 4

dog-man
08-04-2015, 06:08 PM
It will be tomorrow now when I can get at the dish and bypass the motor.

dog-man
08-04-2015, 06:55 PM
I managed to find the time to bypass the motor and I also re-did the f plug to make sure it was good.

No difference, so it's not the motor.

dog-man
08-04-2015, 08:12 PM
I moved the box to another location to the cable that was connected to my old 7020.
I had the same signal levels as I did with the original cable so the cable is fine.

I also tried both tuners and both gave the same signal strength, so the tuners are fine.

So, it is looking like it may be the image.

I have flashed it numerous times with Openpli 4 with a usb stick as Openpli have been making some major updates for some time now, but they were installed over the existing image.

I seem to recall many years ago when I had a problem to flash the original vuduo image if I wanted to return to basically a factory setting. Then flash the image of my choice.

Is this right?

There has to be something wrong as for example, I cannot scan in all the channels in the M7 package on Astra 19.2E.
I should get all channels on this satellite with a 1.1 dish in SE UK. I certainly used to.

It's also strange that I get 0% signal level on some channels then they will suddenly change to around 70% then 0 then 70 and so on.

cosworth4x4
08-04-2015, 08:24 PM
just try another image, anyone to test .

dog-man
08-04-2015, 09:33 PM
I will probably try that tomorrow.

dog-man
13-04-2015, 11:30 PM
It seems that my problem was down to a faulty capacitor. (C848).

I changed this capacitor and the signal levels are higher now and the image quality looks much richer. They are still lower than I would expect so I will tweak the dish if possible over the next couple of days.