PDA

View Full Version : what to do with CCcam.cfg??? clueless

super whites
31-05-2015, 12:00 AM
hi guys,
i have been tasked with setting up a vu solo2 box with a fixed dish. i have everything set up up to the point of putting on a cline.

the box is running pre flashed openvix and as my laptop was broke i was trying to put the cline in manually but didnt know how or where to do it.

the laptop is now fixed so i am able to put the attachment "CCcam.cfg(138B)" onto a flashdrive so is it now just a case of plugging the flashdrive into the fromt of the box and turning it on or is there more to it than that

echelon
31-05-2015, 12:14 AM
best methods are detailed in the sticky threads and tutorials

ie:- ftp the CCCam.cfg file to var/etc using VuCC , or DCC , or flash fxp, or filezilla
(direct from your laptop to the box over the lan network)

I have never tried using a usb stick but I suspect that you would need to install and use a file manager on the box, like tuxcommander ?

ftp from laptop to box is much easier

super whites
31-05-2015, 12:22 AM
thanks for the quick reply. might sound stupid here but uouls i need internet access on the laptop during the transfer. i can connect to the router and therefore the home network but cant seem to get internet access. or do i just connect the lan cable from laptop to vu box

super whites
31-05-2015, 12:29 AM
i tried looking here
https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?159958-Dummies-guide-to-setting-up-Vu-Solo2
but it seems to be for blackhole rather than open vix or does it not matter

echelon
31-05-2015, 12:30 AM
thanks for the quick reply. might sound stupid here but uouls i need internet access on the laptop during the transfer. i can connect to the router and therefore the home network but cant seem to get internet access. or do i just connect the lan cable from laptop to vu box

just connect the box to the router using a lan cable , check its ip address and log into it

I usually log in using DCC, set the password using passwd , then use an FTP program to login and transfer files

no internet is required for this , just a laptop , a router and both the laptop and vu connected to the router with their own ip addresses

it can be better to have an internet connection as well, but not required to program the box

the same procedures are used for BH and VIX and any other images , although file locations can differ

no you cannot connect a straight lan ethernet cable from laptop to vu, use a router as intermediary to get ip addresses

I recently wrote a rough and ready guide to setting up a vu in the duo section here

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?131480-How-to-Update-image-using-USB-Pen-Drive

super whites
31-05-2015, 01:34 AM
think im getting there but maybe im just making bits up as i go along.

what i am getting is
connect lan cable laptop to router
connect lan cable from box to router
open filezilla
now i have never used filezilla so dont really know where i get host, username, password and port from (you said something about DCC but i have no idea what this is)
i ftp the CCcam.cfg file into var/etc or usr/softcams folder (not sure which)
some number needs changed to 755

and thats it???

echelon
31-05-2015, 09:10 AM
these boxes require certain computer skills and knowledge you clearly do not possess, therefore its like you are running a marathon but havent learned to crawl yet

everybody who started down this road had no knowledge of filezilla or DCC (Dreambox Control Centre) and dozens of other programs , acronyms and the like

at the moment you are in totally over your head and need to step back and read, read, learn

the questions you are asking are basic and prove to me that in the last 12 hours since you joined here you have not spent the time reading the tutorials, despite me giving you some of the technical basics last night and even a link to my rough and ready tutorial, nor do you seem to have ready any of the DUMMIES GUIDES which tell you these basics either (otherwise you would have known that DCC is Dreambox Control Centre)

my point here is that you could go on an aircraft forum and say you were given a piper and are sat at the controls wanting to fly it to an urgent appointment miles away that somebody tasked you with , a qualified airline pilot with 30 years experience could answer and tell you how to get it off the ground and land it, but that doesnt mean you could actually do it

I will link the dummies guides for you to read, but if you still "dont get it" then its learn the tools of the trade in a simulator before trying the actual journey

I dont wish to be harsh, but am trying to get you to grasp the inexperience you currently have, these boxes are not for somebody who only knows how to plug in ethernet cables and a usb stick. this is not a "knock the newbie" post, more of a come back and do this when you have researched the subject properly and have an intermediate certificate in the tools of the trade and the knowledge that allows understanding of what you are being told

dummies links below (doesnt matter if they are solo2 , duo or dreambox, the tools work with all windows pc,s and linux boxes)

the knowledge comes as you build it up, rome wasnt built in a day !

when you have mastered some of the basics, and read the info until your head spins, plus can do the basics you were given, then you can ask for further help to achieve your aims, but on a technical forum like this we expect some expertise and prior knowledge from the members who require help, which is why we have the dummies guides to get the member on the correct learning path , plus the info is kept handy in the sticky threads , as we all need refreshers from time to time (even a pilot undergoes a competence test every 6 months)

you need to learn the basics of networking, setting and checking i p addresses, then learning some of the tools like DCC and VuCC , Filezilla and DreamBoxEdit (or Dreamset) for a start

these tools tend to have help sections in their menus or their home webpages, plus there is a wealth of information and you tube videos etc on their usage, same as there is on any subject

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

links

solo 2

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?159958-Dummies-guide-to-setting-up-Vu-Solo2

duo

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?133588-Dummies-guide-to-setting-up-Vu-Duo

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?133588-Dummies-guide-to-setting-up-Vu-Duo

I have just added some extra info in those links that give more idea of the acronyms used and the basics, please study them

Mickha
31-05-2015, 09:39 AM
The basics, for FileZilla, and any other FTP, File Transfer protocol, program, are quite basic.

Host is your receivers IP address, go into the receivers menu and look for a network setting, click on LAN, or WLAN, depending if you're connected using a cable or wireless, and adapter settings.

Standard Username = root
Standard password = Left blank, until you decide to add a password, as described by Echelon
Port = Left Blank

You don't need to alter CHmod for CCcam.

seagate1
31-05-2015, 02:09 PM
dont know if this will help him ip scanner. at least he should see whats connected. just a thought thank you.