PDA

View Full Version : Whilst using the Satellite/TP Management Menu, Box just packed up.

waverider
06-09-2015, 09:09 AM
Whilst using the above.

The TV screen went black and the HD6000, was not responding to any commands.

The Power On-Green Led and Standby Red Led, are slowly alternating between each other.

I have tried removing all the connections and leaving overnight, but it is still the same.

Prior to this it didin't seem to respond smoothly to the commands and the on/standby buttons were not operating correctly ie if i pressed the standby button it would go to red for a few seconds and then switch back on, the off button would not switch off then it would, I would set the time and it did not show on the front display when i went back to the setup time option the GMT/summer time, option were correct but the time wasn't.

I am really not happy with this box, i have read other threads where they have had to use,(Recover STB using RS232).

When i go back to using my (9900HD) it is a treat to use.

jbvid
06-09-2015, 01:22 PM
I am really not happy with this box, i have read other threads where they have had to use,(Recover STB using RS232).

That is correct but usually for a reason, from your mentioned problems I would suspect corrupted firmware or over maximum listed channels in the STB.
jb

waverider
06-09-2015, 04:34 PM
Thanks for your reply,

A message did come up stating there was no free space or words to that effect a short while before it went off.

echelon
06-09-2015, 04:42 PM
in that case you overloaded the flash memory, probably due to too many channels

your old 9000 can hold 9999 channels or so, the new one 6000 tops (preferably less)

use the repair tool and a null modem cable from an xp pc, repair it, then factory reset it and update to the latest patch, then factory reset it again

load in a channel list BELOW 6000 channels

waverider
06-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I will give it a go.

waverider
15-09-2015, 11:32 AM
I have tried everything, including Tech support from StarTech, who connected to my computer and he was getting the same as i have been getting, he said i should contact the company i purchased the Spiderbox from.

I get the Text coming up in HyperTerminal and the green Led on the Null Modem adapter flickering indicating it is recieving data.

(Recover STB using RS232), the screen comes up but there is no option to select (2 Upgrade Application with Xmodem).

Yesterday i did get Spiderbox-HyperTerminal: A screen appeared with the following, 1. (Upgrade Application with FUM) 2. (Upgrade Application with Xmodem) 3. (Leave and Continue boot), i could not see any option to be able to select (2) i think i may have selected Transfer because a box appeared over the text, (Zmodem with Crash Recovery file send for Spiderbox) which was the name i gave in setup.

I thought it must have worked because instead of the two LEDs alternating the Standby Led (Red) was steady, when i connected everything up, the two LEDs were alternating again.

I think i was nearly there, but i am not doing something right.

I have also tried with (Putty).

echelon
15-09-2015, 12:13 PM
I hope you are NOT USING a usb adapter, and ARE USING a desktop or tower running windows XP ?

the above post contains NEITHER of those 2 crucial details

connect the null modem cable (make sure it is a null modem cable) from the 9 pin rear com port to the rs232 port on the box

try to make sure that this pc com port is set to com1 or com 2 , not anything else

com port tutorial is here https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?158068-Com-port-setup

then try to connect to the box

jbvid
15-09-2015, 12:37 PM
Hi
Just to add there is also a recovery film.
https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?165432-Spiderbox-6000-HD-Recovery-film
jb

waverider
15-09-2015, 01:59 PM
echelon. I am using a StarTech- RS232 DB9 Serial DCE Adapter with FTI, (ICUSB232FTN)

I was using my Desktop Win7.

I have installed (from your previous post which you did tell me) Windows PC and Virtual PC, sorry i forgot to use them.

jbvid. I have tried to open the video in the past, but when i do, i get the following (This Video doe's not exist)

Thank you both for your replies.

Aldo
15-09-2015, 02:06 PM
echelon. I am using a StarTech- RS232 DB9 Serial DCE Adapter with FTI, (ICUSB232FTN)

I have installed (from your previous post which you did tell me) Windows PC and Virtual PC, sorry i forgot to use them.

jbvid. I have tried to open the video in the past, but when i do, i get the following (This Video doe's not exist)

Then you can use the Recovery Setup procedure posted by blackdevil, and please follow all of the instructions included along with the recovery tool:

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?164187-Recovery-instructions-for-HD6000

echelon
15-09-2015, 02:15 PM

so you have IGNORED my previous post at post #4

in that case you overloaded the flash memory, probably due to too many channels

your old 9000 can hold 9999 channels or so, the new one 6000 tops (preferably less)

use the repair tool and a null modem cable from an xp pc, repair it, then factory reset it and update to the latest patch, then factory reset it again

load in a channel list BELOW 6000 channels

thank you for clarifying that you have totally ignored my advice, the same advice I have given dozens of members on here over the last 10 to 12 years

USE A DESKTOP OR TOWER PC

NO USB ADAPTER

NO OTHER WINDOWS EXCEPT WIN XP BOOTED UP FROM ITS OWN PRIMARY HDD

the tutorial I linked to tells you these things too

I have no doubt that its down to the tools you listed and suggest you follow my advice, otherwise this saga will continue

Aldo
15-09-2015, 02:23 PM
Whilst not wishing to sound contradictory, I am almost sure that I used the recovery tool with Windows 7 Ultimate.

echelon
15-09-2015, 02:29 PM
Whilst not wishing to sound contradictory, I am almost sure that I used the recovery tool with Windows 7 Ultimate.

that will probably work, especially if no USB adapter is used , because ultimate and pro have extra inclusions by M$ that the poorer and free versions dont have

also WIN 7 PROFESSIONAL should also work, but not HOME OR BASIC which is probably what the OP used (he didnt clarify the version of windows he was using) - there are good reasons why those 2 versions cost more than the stripped down versions like he is probably using

VISTA PRO should also work for the same reasons, not sure about VISTA HOME

these usb adapters cause no end of problems , so any testing of windows should be done from a desktop or tower pc preferably running xp pro with a direct connection from the rs232 port to rs232 port using a null modem connection cable wired up as in the tutorial I linked to

I always use a laptop running xp and with an inbuilt rs232 port (mine is a HP/COMPAQ ) , or a desktop or tower pc , again with built in rs232 9 pin com port , usually again an HP or a Compaq

if the OP is using win7 home or win 7 basic and a usb adapter, he may as well try holding back the north sea in THE WASH like King Canute, more chance of him holding back the tide :)

fabled
15-09-2015, 05:33 PM
I've recently had to rollback a spiderbox. The instructions to do so are on this site, but somewhat scattered as to all the info you need.

I had an old XP laptop with a serial port on the back. I made my own frankenstein RS232 cable from a couple of serials I had. Note it needs to be fully wired. Just using a 3 wire cable won't work. You'll see information on the HyperTerminal screen, but it won't stop for you to press 2.

Also HyperTerminal needs to be setup before you attempt to connect. Bits per second needs to be changed to 115200, and Flow Control needs to be 'None'.

After you've connected and pressed 2, you have a limited amount of time to go to Transfer, Send File, Browse, Select file navi_sxxxxx.stp and change protocol to 'Xmodem'. Press Send. Mine took about 13 minutes to complete. Good luck

waverider
15-09-2015, 07:41 PM
Thank you all for your replies.

My computer is a Mid-Tower, no serial port, I am running Windows 7,Professional 64bit.

I have just recieved an email from StarTech, Technical support, Officially, the majority of our products (including the ICUSB232FTN) don’t support virtualized environments. So it’s quite likely that if your setup is working through Windows 7 natively but not through a virtualized Windows XP setup, it just won’t work.
Regarding the flashing of your Spiderbox; we are able to assist you in getting theRegarding the flashing of your Spiderbox; we are able to assist you in getting the ICUSB232FTN working, but we cannot provide you with instructions on flashing the receiver since we’re not familiar with it.

Looking in Device Manager the ICUSB232FTN,uses Com5

echelon
15-09-2015, 07:46 PM
add an rs232 pc internal card to the tower and check your null modem cable is fully wired

I have amended the com port tutorial last post to give the pinouts and details for a fully wired crossover cable

win 7 pro may be able to do this if you scrap the usb adapter in favour of a proper serial port output, using a pci rs232 card

waverider
16-09-2015, 09:56 AM
Thanks for your reply echelon.

I have thought about your sugestion, i built my own computer, i should have installed a serial card then.

I have a brand new null F-F (VD76) which i bought a while back.

I also have instructions and a full pin layout on how to build your own null modem serial cable.

Where i am getting confused is, i thought i needed a XP computer, or would i use the XP virtual PC

echelon
16-09-2015, 10:56 AM
cant tell you about virtual OS`s , never use them

if you add the rs232 pci card and use xp it should work as it has done for over a decade on "normal" machines

using win 7 pro or ultimate may also work as they have stuff the stripped out versions dont have, so you may not need xp once you install the pci card

I have no faith in the basic or premium versions of vista or win 7 or win 8 for these tasks

I have no faith whatsoever in those rs232 usb adapters and coldasice warned against them in the icecrypt forum here when using a null modem cable on those boxes

I have faith in the tried and tested approach of using a pc with built in FIFO com ports and xp pro , which have never failed me when programming boxes , routers and other equipment for over a decade

cant tell you what I dont know, but I do know a pc with built in com port running xp works

aldo says a proper pc running win 7 ultimate also works

those are irrefutable facts

waverider
17-09-2015, 02:41 PM
When i downloaded from Microsoft support they state you have to download Windows XP mode, and Windows Virtual machine.

When it is installed on your PC, it appears in the start menu as Windows Virtual Machine> click on that> then (Tasks) appear, click on Manage Virtual Machines> two items appear, desktop.ini, and Windows XP Mode.vmcx ...Hibernated> when you click on that, you get the following, Starting the Virtual Machine, then,Windows XP Mode-Windows Vitual PC appears which is the Windows XP start page.

To be honest in the past i am sure on one of the windows7, forums, there was a way to make a shortcut from (system32), then i just clicked on the shortcut and XP appeared, but that was in vista.

I have sent the ICUSB232FTN back for a refund, and after talking to Startech support again, they have told me to purchase the StarTech-PEX2S952, which also has two serial ports,i am waiting delivery.

Then i should be able to get the HD6000, working again.

waverider
20-09-2015, 09:13 AM
Just an update:

I have installed the serial card and using a null modem cable,and downloaded- HyperTerminal Trial verson from their website onto Windows 7 desktop.

Following (blackdevil's) instructions, everything was going fine until i came to (11) Select menu>Transfer>Send File,i typed, navi_s_326su_flash.gz.stp (should it have been s tp), a box came up saying (No matching file was found), so i selected Browse, and selected the repair file on the desktop and pressed the send button, a box appeared, Xmodem with Crash Recovery file send for spiderbox, but none of the boxes within this, were filling in with the progress information.

The Power and standby buttons on the STB stopped alternating, and the standby button was steady, this has happened before and when i connected everything up, they started alternating again,i just want to check before i connect everything up again.

waverider
30-09-2015, 10:28 AM
Mods please delete this thread.

jbvid
30-09-2015, 10:56 AM
Mods please delete this thread.
Hi
After all the help you received, it would be appreciated if you could give some feedback to the thread rather than delete it, ie fixed it, binned it, ongoing, send back to supplier, if fixed how? Your input could help other Forum users who may have this or similar problems.
jb

waverider
30-09-2015, 02:46 PM
Sorry,

It has been a total disaster.

1. The Windows Virtual PC was okay at first, then causing (BOD) with Driver causing problems locking me out of my computer, i managed to get back in using Safe mode.

2. The USB adapter i returned for a refund.

3. The Serial card, started to work untill it got to about 52% then stopped, i was told it was because of the chipset, i returned it for a refund.

4. Thanks to (Lee) for flashing my Box, because i dont have a XP, PC.

5. I unstalled everything from my computer, Virtual PC, HyperTerminal, and everthing connected with it.

6. Now i have a new problem, I installed the correct, mscam patch, the three dropdown options are there, when i click on mscam, on the key line when i try to enter 11 11 11 11 11, they remain at zeros, then it says failed to connect, when i click on okay it changes to connecting, i click okay and it wont connect.

Looks like 12 months gift gone for good.

Unless someone knows what the problem is.

blackdevil
30-09-2015, 04:11 PM
After entering 1111111111 ,press disc icon to save.

waverider
30-09-2015, 07:33 PM
when i get to MSCam, at the top of the page on the same line to the right there is a Wi-Fi signal, next to that there is a tv box,with another square box on top with an arrow pointing to it, next to that is the signal strength, both have a red circle and a diagonal red bar through them.

MSCam is on
Type On
Key-00-00-00-00-00
Connection status-Connecting
Expire Date-//
Register-OK

when i enter 11-11-11-11-11, the key remains zeros, i cannot see disk icon.

Working now.

I clicked on the key, line, another another item popped up allowing me to enter, the key, and it connected straight away.

Regarding the two red circles with the red bar through them i think they must be for when you are connected through ethernet.

Much appreciate your help.