PDA

View Full Version : flash by usb

nufc
30-09-2015, 01:56 PM
hallo trying to flash duo via usb now have open pli but would like to install blackhole formatted usb installed blackhole on usb turned tuner off inserted usb on front turned tuner on but still boots with openpli what am i doing wrong ?

DCG
30-09-2015, 02:37 PM
take from here

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?162732-Dummies-guide-to-setting-up-Vu-Duo2

1. Install image.
Download a USB image file, eg Blackhole Image from
https://www.satpimps.co.uk/forumdispl...Vu-Duo2-Images

Unzip the BlackHole-vuduo2_usb.zip file and extract the vuplus folder to a USB PEN Drive.

After unzipping to the pen drive you should have a folder on your pen drive named vuplus

In the vuplus folder is another folder named duo2

In the duo2 folder are 5 files.

initrd_cfe_auto.bin
kernel_cfe_auto.bin
reboot.update
root_cfe_auto.bin
splash_cfe_auto.bin

Power off Vu+ Duo2 with switch on the back
Open the front flap on the right hand side.
Insert USB Pen Drive into the front USB socket behind the front flap.
Power on Vu+ Duo2

When you see the "Update" message on the front display press the standby button (located behind the front flap)

Once the image has been successfully installed the receiver will reboot automatically.

nufc
30-09-2015, 03:01 PM
hallo m8 downloaded this image Open Black Hole 0.1 update 19-06-2015 Vu Duo from this site
there are 4 files
image version
kernel_cfe_auto.bin
reboot.update
root_cfe_auto.jffs2

nml
30-09-2015, 03:37 PM
If you have a Duo2 follow the instructions provided by DCG, if you have a Duo more or less the same but make sure you dont have a usb stick in the back. Shut down the box, turn off via the switch at the back insert usb in the the front and switch on via the switch at the back it should install.
Just make sure you have the correct file for your box.

nufc
30-09-2015, 03:47 PM
hallo i have DUO2 did exactly what DCG said in the instructions provided i converted my usb stick to fat 32 on my laptop then put file on stick then followed instructions but just booted to openpli ps there were only 4 files which i said in my last post

stevethejack
30-09-2015, 04:12 PM
I regularly had problems with flashing via USB (I used an MP3 player). I then started using a Micro SD card slotted in a USB Micro SD reader. Worked first time every time since. Always format it to FAT32 before putting image on the memory card.

Mickha
30-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Are you following the guides?

When you first turn the power on, via the rear switch, can you please check that the CFE version is 2, and not the old version 1, this goes very quickly so you might have to try it a couple of times.

If you have got the older bootloader please upgrade, to version 2, using your USB stick, or a different USB stick.

ian
30-09-2015, 05:13 PM
The VU as a model doesnt always like some USB sticks,theres no way of telling which will flash the box and which wont except by trial and error,so when you find one that flashes it keep it on one side just for that purpose.

So try a few other USB sticks instead of the one your currently using.
This may solve your problem.

Ian.

nufc
30-09-2015, 06:36 PM
hallo i have tried 2 different usbs both brand new still the same will get another one tomorrow mickha CFE version is 2 .tuner is 2 months old.

Mickha
30-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Have you tried holding down the front power button, as soon as you turn the receiver on, at the rear?
I've noticed that this gets my receiver, to finally recognize one of my USB sticks.
Also try another image, try downloading Black Hole 2.1.5

First delete the old vuplus folder, from your desktop, and load the new vuplus folder.

ian
30-09-2015, 07:33 PM
Yes I forgot that bit.

It deffo has to be USB 2 and also less than 8gb as nml said above and even then its pot luck which will work and which wont.

Out of 4 USB sticks I own only 1 works and this is kept on one side solely for this purpose alone as it took forever to find it,but this single stick works first time every time.

Ian.

nml
30-09-2015, 07:38 PM
Yes Ian I have an old tdk 4gb works every time.

ian
30-09-2015, 07:44 PM
Also its a case of cheaper is better,believe it or not its usually the more expensive ones that wont work.

Ian.

sonic1
30-09-2015, 08:05 PM
Also remove any other USB device and make sure you don't have a backup on a HDD if fitted or it will just load that.
Unplug the HDD if fitted just to be sure.

nufc
30-09-2015, 08:08 PM
hallo mickha tried that but still did not work blackhole 2,1,7 2,1,6 2,1,5 will try with another usb tomorrow thanks lads

nufc
30-09-2015, 08:10 PM
no hdd or usb installed also do i need to format usb every time thanks inadvance

nml
30-09-2015, 08:19 PM
This looks like the Duo image not the Duo 2 that has morefiles and is a lot bigger, if you want this image for the Dou2 the file is here.
https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?171846-Open-Black-Hole-0-1-Vu-Duo2

nml

hallo m8 downloaded this image Open Black Hole 0.1 update 19-06-2015 Vu Duo from this site
there are 4 files
image version
kernel_cfe_auto.bin
reboot.update
root_cfe_auto.jffs2

sonic1
30-09-2015, 08:21 PM
no hdd or usb installed also do i need to format usb every time thanks inadvance

I have a cheap old USB that has not been formatted for a year or more, I use it for flashing all my box's and I have a few :D

I am sure there is a nice HP format tool posted somewhere on the board, may be worth looking for.

ian
30-09-2015, 09:46 PM
lol I dont think mines been formatted for about 5 yrs as i also store all my invoices for work on it,and my extensions backup folder too,and simply load a new image or even a backup onto it as and when I need to flash.

It just a cheap as chips 2gb one,but it never fails when all the other bigger,more expensive ones always do fail.

Ian.

nufc
30-09-2015, 10:27 PM
thanks nml it worked straight away i think i had wrong image on usb thanks everybody