PDA

View Full Version : Replace DRX890 with Vu+ Duo2?

bulmers
19-10-2015, 11:20 AM
Toying with the idea of getting a Vu+ Duo2 with added DVB-T tuner and 1TB HDD.
Would this be a decent replacement for my DRX890? Mrs. bulmers uses the DRX890 a lot and Im wondering could the Vu+ Duo2 take its place ?

Any comments much appreciated

all the best,
bulmers

echelon
19-10-2015, 11:40 AM
either that or the solo2 (solo2 cant have the extra tuner though)

bulmers
19-10-2015, 11:53 AM
I like the terrestrial option so that leads me the the Duo2. Is it as easy to use as the DRX890 for adding recordings through the 7 day epg and for playback and general use?

echelon
19-10-2015, 12:54 PM
I dont have a duo2 (or a terrestrial tuner card in any box I own) but as they all use similar images then I would say that anyone with a reasonable knowledge of sat boxes and ftp can set one up and use it effectively

due to the fact that different images can be used, with different plugins, you would have to find what suits you and the missus best , so BH or VIX or OPENPLI etc , plus any required plugins too

they can be setup to obtain a 24/7 epg using plugins like crossepg

timer recordings can be set either from the epg or manually

instant record can be set , or pausing a live programme

series record may not work the same as on the amstrad, its hard to beat the slybox system as its very effective

you can ftp films and tv shows and music to the internal hdd and play them back

its a big ask to expect one to work exactly like a slybox, but the VU range are the best at getting close to it , better than a dreambox or clone

bear in mind that you wont be able to clear most of the 28e HD channels , including 5 HD , so assume that its mainly BBC1 and 2 HD and itv HD and c4 HD channels only

Detlef
19-10-2015, 03:48 PM
The difficulty is pleasing the missus. Unless she is almost as techy as you, you will get howls of protest.

As Echelon says, the Sky box is simple to use and very robust. On the down side, you can't backload recorded stuff to a PC or DVD in any acceptable quality. Also you can't share its card :D.