PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ Duo2 newbie needs guidance

bulmers
21-10-2015, 01:08 PM
Coming from an AZBox Premium from 2009 I just might need some help here. Rather then open 20 threads with 20 questions; Ive decided to just open this one and hopefully get answers to the many questions Im sure to have. And at the end, the information posted here should be of great help to those future Vu+ Duo2 owners.

Going to order my Vu+ Duo2 in a week and am just trying to sort various aspects of the setup before it arrives.

Where s the best place to download the latest image? Im going to try out Black hole first.

1.Should I just download and flash this? :
https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?171843-Black-Hole-2-1-7-MultiBoot

2.Whats the story with all the images here?, Are these the latest versions of Black hole or something else? :

_h**p://code.vuplus.com/

3.When I get the Vu+ Duo2, will there be an option to update to the newest version online through the menu, Or
is it best to just download and flash from USB?

Thanks

echelon
21-10-2015, 03:04 PM
1) depends which image you wish to use, so no easy answer

if its BH, then usually they are on here

if its VIX, you go to their open vix site and get the correct one for your box, usually the latest one

if its openpli or openatv, they have sites you can get them from

2) no idea, dozens of sites exist for vu images , so that must be one of many

3) I doubt it, they usually install an experimental image

I do not believe you can download a new image online into the box, its always been via the front usb from a stick

sometimes they issue online updates to the existing flash image , so if you have say bh2.16 they may update it online to v2.161 for example, but if you wanted to install 217 then its use the front usb socket and a stick

once you receive the box, you will have to decide which image to use and then flash it from the front usb, using a usb stick, following the instructions in the DUMMIES guide in the sticky threads

think of it like shopping , many choices of supermarket, once you decide which one you are using the choice inside will also bamboozle you

ask for advice and 10 people will tell you 10 different choices , so ask for cheese and 10 people will tell you 10 different cheeses !! each person will justify there own choice and diss the rest

unlike a spiderbox or similar, its not a simple choice of just using the latest patch , its a choice of OS and with many players you have to decide which to use

the main choices will be

Blackhole
openv*x
openpli
openATV

I would also suggest buying a 16 gig or 32 gig midget type usb stick as I recommended in other threads, to permanently use in the rear usb socket for storing epg data and picons etc (plus for making backups)

this is in addition to a smaller capacity usb drive of say 2 to 8 gig for flashing it using the front usb socket as and when required

I would also suggest fitting an internal 1 tb hdd , for recordings etc
I believe the duo2 can accept both sizes of sata hdd , ie:- desktop and laptop sata hdd drives

Aldo
21-10-2015, 03:16 PM
" Going to order my Vu+ Duo2 in a week and am just trying to sort various aspects of the setup before it arrives. "

If you were to order your new receiver from the forum sponsor, you have the option of which image you wish to have preinstalled, plus other items you may wish to puchase at the same time:

https://www.goldwafers.co.uk/Vu-Duo2-Vu-Duo2-2-Vu-Duo2-VuDuo2-Vu-Duo2-Full-HD-1080p-Twin-Linux-Receiver-2x-DVB-S2-Tuner-PVR-ready.html

you may also contact Lee and ask him any questions that you may wish to have answered.

cannydo
21-10-2015, 04:28 PM
As suggested by echelon many times remember and password your box for security obviously hehe.

Mickha
21-10-2015, 04:58 PM
2. That's the official VU+ site, with their own firmware, you can also find any updates, like the WOL, Wake On Lan, or the updated bootloaders.

bulmers
21-10-2015, 05:19 PM
2. That's the official VU+ site, with their own firmware, you can also find any updates, like the WOL, Wake On Lan, or the updated bootloaders.

Is it one of those firmwares that will have been installed from factory on the box?

And these have nothing to do with Blackhole, openvix, openpli or openATV ?

Thanks

DCG
21-10-2015, 06:07 PM
have a good read here if you have a printer it might help if printed out

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?162732-Dummies-guide-to-setting-up-Vu-Duo2

all extreamly good tuts

Mickha
21-10-2015, 06:34 PM
Black hole seems to have been developed, for the VU+, the other images would probably work with most Linux based receivers.
I like the options, in Black Hole, currently using Black Hole 2.1.5, on my VU+ Duo 2, but some prefer the Open Black Hole version, or one of the more versatile images, like Openpli, Vix, etc....
Strangely some Dreambox developers appear to have done a version, of Black Hole, suitable for the Dreambox, but having viewed screen grabs, of the menu, it doesn't seem anywhere near as good as the version for the VU+.

DCG
21-10-2015, 06:37 PM
Black hole seems to have been developed, for the VU+, the other images would probably work with most Linux based receivers.
I like the options, in Black Hole, currently using Black Hole 2.1.5, on my VU+ Duo 2, but some prefer the Open Black Hole version, or one of the more versatile images, like Openpli, Vix, etc....
Strangely some Dreambox developers appear to have done a version, of Black Hole, suitable for the Dreambox, but having viewed screen grabs, of the menu, it doesn't seem anywhere near as good as the version for the VU+.

as far as I know black hole dropped all support for dmm products and now only support vu

bulmers
21-10-2015, 08:13 PM
@ Mickha
Your using Black Hole 2.1.5 at the moment. Do you feel any need or desire to upgrade to 2.1.7 ?

Mickha
21-10-2015, 10:12 PM
@ Mickha
Your using Black Hole 2.1.5 at the moment. Do you feel any need or desire to upgrade to 2.1.7 ?

Not particularly, I tried Open Black Hole, which didn't have the customise options, of Black Hole, and went back to Black Hole 2.1.5.
I might upgrade, when I change my broadband provider, in November, and I get unlimited broadband at a reasonable speed, so I can try some of the extra features, but at the moment, 2.1.5 does everything I need.