PDA

View Full Version : Warning clone VU+ remotes

bulmers
16-12-2015, 02:54 PM
Recently ordered an extra remote for my Vu+ Duo2 from the bay for €13.30 instead of €49 form UK. Now for €13.30 I knew they had to be clones but if they worked then no problem. It arrived about 3 weeks later and worked fine, Has all the functions as the original, even the TV codes work fine for controlling the TV volume and TV power. Everything seemed fine so I ordered another one for the bedroom. BUT about 2 weeks later I noticed that the batteries were going low in the first remote so I replaced them. Then 2-3 weeks later they went low again. I was using good Duracell batteries so I knew It wasnt dodgy batteries. Also the second remote arrived and it also seemed to be working just fine with all the working functions.

Im a TV engineer so now its time to investigate:
I used my meter to measure the quiescent current of the original VU+ remote and the clone VU+ remotes. (quiescent current is the current used when the remote is just sitting there with no buttons being pressed)
Results:

Original VU+ remote : 1uA (the lowest resolution my meter reads down to)
Clone VU+ remotes : 5mA !!!!!!! (5000 times more power consumption. ( 1mA=1000uA) )

Its no wonder that the batteries dont last any length in these clone remotes! They are consuming way too much power when not in use.

Just a warning to anyone interested in buying cheap remotes from the bay.

I have done a small mod to reduce the quiescent current down to 0uA. It involved fitting a small tact switch to the bottom of the remote that cuts the power to the remote when not in use. When I pick up the remote I just hold the small switch on which restores power to the remote. Basically gives the remote a momentary action on/off switch. The other option was to fork out almost €100 for 2 new genuine remotes. So Im happy to use the switch option!

cosworth4x4
16-12-2015, 06:59 PM
Mine is now faulty on all the chrome center buttons ,but when i do replace it think ill just buy it from here.:respect-062:

https://www.goldwafers.co.uk/Remote-Control-Units/

ozzsurf
16-12-2015, 09:15 PM
cant use crap remotes

i bought the new style remote direct from vu
ni-on 2 years ago
he had them up for 25 quid
with make an offer
offered 20

Sawdust
16-12-2015, 09:40 PM
The new style remotes are garbage compared to the basic originals. The centre chrome round buttons have failed on 3 remotes I've bought (all legit) I just got one off Aliexpress for 12 quid delivered and it seems fine, but only time will tell i guess. If this one fails im going to use the MK1 basic remote. Never had any issues with those.

Nikkas
16-12-2015, 11:59 PM
I'll add my experience also to this if I may. Broke my DUO2 original remote so went for the cheap option from the place already mentioned. Within a few months the OK, up & down buttons began becoming intermittent. Opening it up to clean contacts did nothing. Ended up getting one from forum sponsor which is still going strong 1+ years on.

Cheap doesn't always mean bargain.

bulmers
17-12-2015, 12:27 AM
Can these older style remotes be set up to control the TVs volume , TV AV, and TV power like the newer ones with the chrome buttons?

https://www.goldwafers.co.uk/Vu-Genuine-Universal-Remote-Control-Suitable-for-Vu-Duo-Vu-Solo-Vu-Uno-Vu-Ultimo-Vu-Solo2-Vu-Duo2-Vu-Solo-SE.html

Sawdust
17-12-2015, 11:51 PM
Yes I think the copy remotes dont but the OE ones do, but again im not 100%.

catseye
03-09-2016, 08:52 AM
Re the replacement vu duo 2 remotes

Are the replacements any better than the original supplied with the box?

Mine is on its way out with the chrome centre button not responding properly

mrdude
03-09-2016, 06:43 PM
Mine is now faulty on all the chrome center buttons ,but when i do replace it think ill just buy it from here.:respect-062:

https://www.goldwafers.co.uk/Remote-Control-Units/

The remotes are easy to fix, remove the batteries and the small screw and split the remote apart (small clips prized apart with sharp knife), on the circuit board - heat up the plastic cover with a hair drier and remove once the sticky glue stuff is warm. Then you can get a pencil and draw on the silver pads (coat it with a thin layer of graphite), when you put it together again it will work fine again.

cosworth4x4
04-09-2016, 05:02 PM
The remotes are easy to fix, remove the batteries and the small screw and split the remote apart (small clips prized apart with sharp knife), on the circuit board - heat up the plastic cover with a hair drier and remove once the sticky glue stuff is warm. Then you can get a pencil and draw on the silver pads (coat it with a thin layer of graphite), when you put it together again it will work fine again.

Thanks I did strip it down to find something had been spilt on it , and of course nobody knew anything about it , :eek:

mrdude
04-09-2016, 06:01 PM
Thanks I did strip it down to find something had been spilt on it , and of course nobody knew anything about it , :eek:

Typical - 'it wasn't me dad excuse', if I had a pound for every time I have heard that old chestnut - I'd be rich!