PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a new CODEC or pack?

doubleudee
26-01-2016, 11:49 AM
I am trying to play a movie I downloaded from a torrent site:-

Lucky.Number.Slevin.2006.720p.BRR IP.HEVC.x265.AC3-MAJESTiC.mkv

but it fails to load/run, all I get is a blank screen, I can play other mkv files I've downloaded from the same site, but do I need a special codec for this type or won't it play anyway on my VU+ DUO2?

Thanks

saintomer1866
26-01-2016, 12:17 PM
The duo2 will only play H.264 (x264) video compression and not H.265 (x265)
you will need to invest in the solo 4k to be able to playback h.265.

So even though both box's will play mkv files the key point here is the compression method used.

St.O

mrdude
26-01-2016, 04:08 PM
I am trying to play a movie I downloaded from a torrent site:-

Lucky.Number.Slevin.2006.720p.BRR IP.HEVC.x265.AC3-MAJESTiC.mkv

but it fails to load/run, all I get is a blank screen, I can play other mkv files I've downloaded from the same site, but do I need a special codec for this type or won't it play anyway on my VU+ DUO2?

Thanks

You should get yourself an Nvidia Shield TV - they are extremely powerful and quite slim and small to sit on top of your Vu+ Duo2, they blow any other android box out the water and are very efficient to run, Kodi is very fast on it, games play great, netflix / plex / iplayer etc all work great, 4k is supported - as are all codecs. It had lollipop on it just now but Marshmallow is getting released this month - that allows you to use a USB drive as part of the system storage, It comes with a rechargeable controller - which is much like the xbox controller.

Instead of buying a new receiver - just think about that box as a 'companion' to go along with your vu+ duo2 as you will have the best of both worlds - a great sat STB and the best Android TV box on the market, between them you will be able to play anything video or music wise currently released - games and other apps.

Personally I have this setup - I use an android launcher called HAL launcher on it - which shows all my sideloaded apps, you can load apps on via wireless with an app called wifi explorer. If you want to go down that road and need any more info - you can let me know and i'll try and help you out with info on sideloading - you can do this buy putting an app on a usb drive and installing via a file explorer - not rocket science.

digicon
26-01-2016, 06:10 PM
I also have the Shield TV well worth the £150 asking price it has played all my 4K UHD WEB-DL rips and all my other media, one point do not buy the 500gb version as this uses a standard drive the 16gb uses an SSD and is twice as fast no idea why Nvidia did this at all.

I have a 64gb class 10 microSD card in mine as extra backup but as mentioned when MM gets released it will be all one storage.

ozzsurf
26-01-2016, 06:36 PM
or
use the x264

Lucky Number Slevin 2006 720p BluRaay x264-YIFY

mrdude
26-01-2016, 07:58 PM
I also have the Shield TV well worth the £150 asking price it has played all my 4K UHD WEB-DL rips and all my other media, one point do not buy the 500gb version as this uses a standard drive the 16gb uses an SSD and is twice as fast no idea why Nvidia did this at all.

I have a 64gb class 10 microSD card in mine as extra backup but as mentioned when MM gets released it will be all one storage.

I have the 500gb version and it's very fast - loads all my 20+ games stored on it in no time. Also Kodi is an Instant load so, maybe you are talking about bootup time? mine takes around about 30 seconds from turning the power on to loading Hal launcher, but if you can bear that, the extra storage is great.

I bought mine in the xmas sale - 500gig shield TV with free remote for £179.99, they had them at that price on black friday - also the 16gig version with the remote was £129.99 at xmas and £119.99 on black Friday.

mrdude
27-01-2016, 05:25 AM
@digicon

If you want popcorntime for android TV here is the ARM64 bit version for your Shield TV.

http://www92.zippyshare.com/d/OOqWtrqT/21137/mobile-arm64-v8a-development-local.apk

This is different from the normal version as it's specifically for Android TV - if you want I can give you a link to the source code so you can mod it yourself if you know how to compile android apps and sign them. There's a couple of bugs - but it's very usable and plays movies and things just fine.

digicon
27-01-2016, 11:29 AM
@mrdude

Thanks i dont actually use the popcorntime app as all my media is gotten from usenet with NZBGET straight to my NAS, i see some folks have installed full android 5.1 OS on there shield which gives them full access to all the Playstore apps instead of the watered down couple of hundred that Nvidia allow.

as for the Boot times yes mine boots instantly on the 16gb probably around a second, got mine in the Black friday deal and it replaced the Intel Nuc i had with Kodi, Showbox app works pretty good as well although i am a purist for the movies and TV series i only ever watch full Blu Rays with Dolby TrueHD / Atmos /DTS-HD etc.. i cant stand the smaller rips with AAC 2 channel audio and look like poop on a massive screen.

Must admit though i have a few of the newer HEVC/X265 rips with FLAC audio and the Quality on these are amazing and the Shield dont even break into a sweat playing them

Regards

doubleudee
01-02-2016, 07:41 AM
Thanks all, not looking to spend more money as near retirement now, will use x264 from now on.