PDA

View Full Version : Icecrypt S1600CHD can't see any satellites

lower
16-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Hi All,

My first post here so please be gentle :)

We've recently relocated our kitchen and wanted a small satellite box that we could hide behind the TV. My father in law had a spare Icecrypt S1600CHD that he used in Spain so we thought we would try that.

We have a oval mesh sky dish with twin LNB that used to feed an ancient thomson sky box (pre sky+ era). With that setup, it worked perfectly.

I have subsequently extended the cable run to the new kitchen. The same dish with new cable still works perfectly with the old box in the new location.

However, i have now connected up the Icecrypt box and cannot get any kind of signal. I've updated the firmware to the latest firmware and done an auto satellite search with no success. I've also worked my way through all the satellites listed but cannot see a signal from any of them.

I'd expect to see some kind of signal, even if it was the wrong satellite. Can anyone suggest what might be wrong?

DJSat79
16-01-2017, 08:22 PM
Check the F connector on the cable then,
Try going to menu, sat install. Check a specific frequency/ pol / sym rate (eg)...
sat = astra2 (or check for a specific freq on the sat you are on)
Freq = 10847 v 23000
Pol = auto
LNB Power = 13/18
If there is a signal, then the signal + quality bars should be seen.
Good luck

lower
16-01-2017, 09:23 PM
That's what I don't get. I've scrolled through all the satellites, and none of them register a signal or quality. Yet there is a signal and the old Thomson box that we used as a free view box works.

buck401
17-01-2017, 08:49 AM
Check that the Diseqc switch option is set correctly.
Good luck

lower
18-01-2017, 09:54 AM
Worked through all the Diseqc settings last night and changing them didn't give me any kind of signal. Yet there is a signal because the old Thomson box still works and shows decent signal strength and quality in the settings menu.

I can only assume that there is a fault with the Icecrypt box.

Thanks for the input.

DJSat79
18-01-2017, 11:30 AM
Please confirm what satellite and channel are you picking up OK on the Thomson box.
(I'll explain why I ask later)

lower
18-01-2017, 10:21 PM
Please confirm what satellite and channel are you picking up OK on the Thomson box.
(I'll explain why I ask later)
The honest answer to that question is that I don't have a clue.

The dish was already in position when we bought the house 4 years ago and we haven't moved it.

Is there a way to tell?

DJSat79
19-01-2017, 08:44 AM
I want to help you. For any fault-finding you need to start from a confirmed known position.
You say the Thomson receiver worked OK - Does it work now with your dish and extended cabling?
If not, then I suspect the dish or LNB or cable/connector is at fault.

lower
19-01-2017, 11:41 AM
I want to help you. For any fault-finding you need to start from a confirmed known position.
You say the Thomson receiver worked OK - Does it work now with your dish and extended cabling?
If not, then I suspect the dish or LNB or cable/connector is at fault.

Your help is very much appreciated.

To be clear, the Thomson box works perfectly in the new location with the new cabling. We don't have a sky subscription so use it as a freeview box. It seems to pick up all the free to view channels perfectly. When i went into the settings on the Thomson box the signal strength was about 50% and quality at about 75%. The weather was poor last night when i checked it.

I connected the Icecrypt box and couldn't get it to work so i then connected the Thomson box to check my wiring and it worked perfectly. I then reconnected the Icecrypt box to have a further fiddle and still can't get any signal. I then reconnected the Thomson box and have left it connected and working.

With regard to the Icecrypt box, i've updated the firmware using the link on this site and then updated it again by connecting the box to my router and downloading the lastest settings using FTP. I've tried two of the updates available, one of which makes reference to the Astra2 satellite.

I am based in Leicestershire by the way. Any help you can provide is much appreciated. The Icecrypt box is perfect from a size perspective for what we want so it would be great to get it to work. It was previously connected and working in Spain, picking up UK channels via a big dish. I don't know what satellite is was picking up over there. The only other thing that's changed is i bought a power supply off **** for it to replace the one that came with it which had a euro style plug on the end.

If its helpful for me to get up on a ladder and check the compass direction that the dish is pointing in, i can do that relatively easily.

lower
19-01-2017, 11:52 AM
Ross_37- thank you for your PM. Unfortunately i can't PM you in reply because my post count isn't high enough yet!

Mobley2
19-01-2017, 12:10 PM
Check that the LNB settings are set to Universal or Ku10.700, if Universal does not show, on the Icecrypt. It may have been set to C-Band or something else
when it was being used in Spain

regards mobley2

DJSat79
19-01-2017, 12:30 PM
Hi Lower,
If the Thomson is ok, try getting itv 2 on the Icecrypt as follows...
menu, istall, sat install.
"ok" on satellites and scroll up to "sat6" and "ok"
set this as follows
LNB type = Universal (ok on LNB then right scroll till uni is set)
TP index = no tp
Diseqc=disable
pos=off
22k=off
0/12v=off
pol=auto
toneburst=off
LNB Power=13/18v (this can be boosted - right scroll to get 13.5/18.5)
press "yellow" for tp edit
enter freq of 10758, sym rate 22000, pol = vertical.
If all ok, signal+qual bars will show.
Good luck

lower
19-01-2017, 10:07 PM
Hi Lower,
If the Thomson is ok, try getting itv 2 on the Icecrypt as follows...
menu, istall, sat install.
"ok" on satellites and scroll up to "sat6" and "ok"
set this as follows
LNB type = Universal (ok on LNB then right scroll till uni is set)
TP index = no tp
Diseqc=disable
pos=off
22k=off
0/12v=off
pol=auto
toneburst=off
LNB Power=13/18v (this can be boosted - right scroll to get 13.5/18.5)
press "yellow" for tp edit
enter freq of 10758, sym rate 22000, pol = vertical.
If all ok, signal+qual bars will show.
Good luck

Thank you for your help with this.

Have set it up exactly as you suggested. Still no signal showing on the ice crypt box. Thomson box still working.

Unless there is anything else to try I can only assume that the box is not working properly.

DJSat79
20-01-2017, 11:15 AM
Hi Lower,
The only other thing is to connect a volt meter across the F-socket (use a small paper clip for the centre pin) and, when in the Sat install menu, check that it is 13v when on Vertical and changes to 18v when Horizontal is set.
If it doesn't, then it looks like the Ice1600 is faulty, especially if the Thomson is OK on the Freesat channels.