PDA

View Full Version : Who had one of these video recorders?

catseye
10-02-2017, 08:37 PM
If like me before you got into satellite stuff you probably started off with a video recorder & maybe a stereo sound TV!

Most likely was rented too

Anyway who had one of these back in the 1980's

EXTRAFACTO
10-02-2017, 08:51 PM
i had the vhs ferguson videostar...toploader...big buttons...and seemed it was capable of waking up neighbours..when loading or ejecting a tape
spent many hours labeling my video boxs...and yes always ran out of letter b...easy fix..number 3 and a felt tip pen
tv was 26 inch colour..forgot brand name...from der rentals...ferguson was 1.50 a month extra
good memorys..
my first sat stuff was pace 1000...11pm each saturday night...put in tape...recorded a naughty from tv1000...and sold down pub
became that popular..i invested 400 quid in a amstrad double decker...film in top..blank in bottom...copy...
bussiness was good...lol

dave13142
10-02-2017, 09:13 PM
I had the ferguson video rented it from a tv shop called martin dawes i think i had a tatung tv which i brought back from germany had to have a sound card fix cause in Europe they used different sound frequency first satellite reciever was a rockdale then got skyscan all i could afford lol

trotwood
10-02-2017, 09:13 PM
I had a similar one to the 4th picture,and then the newer electronic version.

catseye
10-02-2017, 09:17 PM
I had the ferguson video rented it from a tv shop called martin dawes i think i had a tatung tv which i brought back from germany had to have a sound card fix cause in Europe they used different sound frequency first satellite reciever was a rockdale then got skyscan all i could afford lol

Tatung had a massive factory over in Telford-employing 100's -now closed like many others

BOOGIBEAR
10-02-2017, 10:20 PM
used to rent one from radio rentals,,top loader and rent the films for £2.50 a night from the chip shop..alright for the weekend good times,,:nopity::drool5::drool5:

cosworth4x4
10-02-2017, 10:25 PM
can recall my parents had pic 4 jvc version.

JOE.MADDISON
10-02-2017, 10:50 PM
i had grundig same as the philips ,had big square cassets wit one reel above the other broke down 6 times in 9 months,comet exchanged it after a lot of hassel,for a aki vhs recorder and some tapes,it was problem free for years.

traveller
10-02-2017, 10:56 PM
Our first VHS recorder was a Hitachi with a cable remote that had a six foot stretch. The problem was that with two young boys 2 and 4 years old we kept the remote on top of the recorder and changed the chans with the front buttons. :D

KARABANGA
10-02-2017, 11:41 PM
Hi I had a Ferguson Videostar that cost me 800 pounds in those days. The VHS blank tapes would cost around 15 pounds but looking back it was worth it because of all the programs you would record while you were working or out enjoying yourself..Thanks for bring back those memories...how times have changed.. Regards

3tv
11-02-2017, 02:50 AM
back when remote controls were connected by a wire so you still had to get up if you were sat across the room to use it :)

catseye
11-02-2017, 10:15 AM
i had grundig same as the philips ,had big square cassets wit one reel above the other broke down 6 times in 9 months,comet exchanged it after a lot of hassel,for a aki vhs recorder and some tapes,it was problem free for years.

Joe I had the phillips one -it was a great machine
Used to turn the tape over & record other side so had 8 hours max
Not enough releases on that format killed it off

brain
11-02-2017, 11:09 AM
Hi Cateye,
My favourite was the Sanyo betamax in those days and Betamax was so much better than VHS, but again big business pressure made the decisions and it was phased out. Sanyo as a company were pretty good then for electronics, and I had other stuff too.
Interesting thread - Cheers - Brain

EXTRAFACTO
11-02-2017, 12:46 PM
will anyone admit that they went through the fake leather video book cases phase
i did...bought that many...used to get discount for bulk
xxx tapes recorded from tv1000 £2.00 each...in a fake leather book like box...£3.00
surpriseing how many people down pub wanted classy xxx

gadstamut
11-02-2017, 02:47 PM
We had a top loader JVC. Won in a competition in the local paper. It had a toggle switch for on off timerand a giant eject button, a panel on the top right for tuning in channels. BNC adaptors on the back for connections. Pretty awesome at the time. Oh and a remote that had 3 metres of cable.

catseye
11-02-2017, 03:13 PM
will anyone admit that they went through the fake leather video book cases phase
i did...bought that many...used to get discount for bulk
xxx tapes recorded from tv1000 £2.00 each...in a fake leather book like box...£3.00
surpriseing how many people down pub wanted classy xxx

You mean one of these!

I can remember buying 5 for £1 off the local market
All boxes had labels on to identify what was on them (sad I know)

philips
11-02-2017, 03:41 PM
Had the Philips video 2000. Excellent system but unit was so heavy that you got a hernia when moving it !

EXTRAFACTO
11-02-2017, 04:46 PM
@catseye
yes them are the ones
the video shop sold them for 25p each
struck myself a deal at 15p each if i bought 20
like i said...some people down pub thought their xxx collection became classy xxx in one of these..lol

KARABANGA
11-02-2017, 05:22 PM
Hi Reading all these coments has made me nostalgic regarding all the old satellites systems and equipments.ie D2mac cards and BSB square dishes etc. I have had satellite systems since 1984.. Maybe someone can start a thread regarding old satellite systems etc....Regards.

Mobley2
11-02-2017, 05:22 PM
My first one was a Ferguson Videostar 3v23, massive front loader, great machine, with a Ferguson TV, also had Philips 2000 machine and
Sony Betamax for a while, still have 3 Video Recorders, one is a Video/ DVD dual machine, handy for transfers.

regards mobley2

EXTRAFACTO
11-02-2017, 09:04 PM
first was has stated fergusion video star
then i purchased the money maker...amstrad double decker video recorder
first sat box..was a pace 1000..fixed dish...1.w tv1000
a mate set it me up...i had a green strip of like motherboard type of thing
i put in pace...typed in numbers he gave me through the menu...then channels worked
usally lasted about 1 month...then he gave me new numbers to input
i say gave...charged £3 but for me it cost xxx in a leather book like case
he would not tell me where he got codes from...he fobbed me off with story about a mate in ireland emailing them to him
oh.. and he did not have any satalite stuff....jezzzz..i was thick in the past lol

dxhound2003
11-02-2017, 09:28 PM
Hi Reading all these coments has made me nostalgic regarding all the old satellites systems and equipments.ie D2mac cards and BSB square dishes etc. I have had satellite systems since 1984.. Maybe someone can start a thread regarding old satellite systems etc....Regards.

You are in the Satellite Nostalgia part of the forum here. Click on that at the top of the page.

catseye
12-02-2017, 01:57 PM

Use this thread m8
https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?172744-Who-had-one-of-these
Upload some pics if you still have them

KARABANGA
13-02-2017, 02:42 AM
Hi Thanks for the info..i dont think i have any photos as you can imagine none of todays gadgets were around in those days.. but i still got my old BSB square dish system gathering dust in the garage. Regards

andy gg
15-02-2017, 12:12 PM
I still have a Sony Betamax in the cupboard and about 40 tapes it might be a collectors piece soon.

regards
andy gg.

TonyO
16-02-2017, 01:03 AM
I had a Furgy 3V23 vcr, it lasted nearly 18 years until the repair bills made it uneconomical, I then bought a french S-vcr which jammed up continuously and eventually the main processor chip packed up and they didn't make it anymore, I then gave up with casstte recorders and and used HD recorders which were a pain at first, they have been ok for the the last 10 years.

kegnkiwi
19-02-2017, 10:41 AM
We had the video2000 when I was a kid, like most people we use to rent it. You could record on both sides of the tape.

catseye
19-02-2017, 11:04 AM
We had the video2000 when I was a kid, like most people we use to rent it. You could record on both sides of the tape.

I bet you rented it from Visionhire ??

kegnkiwi
20-02-2017, 07:42 PM
Not visionhire it was a local video/tv rental place called norman ellis in leeds. We had it for years.

noff
04-11-2017, 11:19 PM
Our first VHS recorder was a Hitachi with a cable remote that had a six foot stretch. The problem was that with two young boys 2 and 4 years old we kept the remote on top of the recorder and changed the chans with the front buttons. :D

Exactly that one.

After a while though it would occasionally record with no sound

maurice
05-11-2017, 07:30 AM
Missed this thread for some reason, been through a ticked where ness.
Last year dumped 100's of VHS/Beta tapes in Fake Leather case's in Spain and about 4 Machines due to
our return to the UK. 2 very heavy Beta (Sony) and (VHS) 1 JVC (photo 4), 1 Toshiba.
Had hours of fun copying TV1000 muckie stuff, them were the days.

Tally
15-12-2017, 05:49 PM
My mum and dad had a fergy videostar top loader from rumbelows then when I got my first job saved up and bought a Marantz video recorder and found out it could bypass the macrovision copying protection by accident my mates were well jealous

Tally

dragonm
15-12-2017, 07:08 PM
I had a Samsung 5000 multi standard VCR. It was great hooking up to satellite tv, able to sort out PAL, NTSC and Secam broadcasts, probably the best one I had.

filmfan46
13-01-2018, 10:11 PM
I had the Philips v2000 the same as in the picture. I used to buy the E240 tapes. Played and recorded on both sides. I always thought was better quality than VHS. No camera input so you could`nt copy tapes unless you bought the optional adaptor then you had a proper audio and video input..
They were days Then a few years later I bought my first sat system 13 deg west , 10 deg west and I think 28 deg east. Great fun.

mrdude
13-01-2018, 10:29 PM
I remember only having 2 TV channels, then STV + Then channel4. Then when video's came out we rented one from Radio Rentals - had a betamax at first then VHS. I remember trying to copy videos and they were usually crap quality with lines and stuff on. Then I remember when people started using Scart leads - what a difference to picture quality that made.

It still makes me laugh when people pay crazy money for HDMI leads - even though a £1 lead can give you the same quality as a £20 lead - some people are daft.

3tv
13-01-2018, 11:35 PM
I remember only having 2 TV channels, then STV + Then channel4. Then when video's came out we rented one from Radio Rentals - had a betamax at first then VHS. I remember trying to copy videos and they were usually crap quality with lines and stuff on. Then I remember when people started using Scart leads - what a difference to picture quality that made.

It still makes me laugh when people pay crazy money for HDMI leads - even though a £1 lead can give you the same quality as a £20 lead - some people are daft.

harks back to the days of ya gold plated scart lead to squeeze the last ounce of signal out :) Gotta have gold plated hdmi cables, the pq/aq is miles better :)

suckers. You either get a picture or you don't. Do the Currys sales guys push the gold plated option :)

catseye
14-01-2018, 08:15 PM
harks back to the days of ya gold plated scart lead to squeeze the last ounce of signal out :) Gotta have gold plated hdmi cables, the pq/aq is miles better :)

suckers. You either get a picture or you don't. Do the Currys sales guys push the gold plated option :)

& the extended warranties !

TonyO
15-01-2018, 03:30 PM
I still got a Furgerson 3V23 and a Sony Betamax in one of my garden sheds, I cant bring myself to throw them away, I've still got a VW beetle I havn't driven for 15 years as well in the garden, if I charge the battery up it would go again straight away, just too much rust to get it MOT'd.

I've got to get less sentimental and visit the dump more often, I cant keep putting up a new shed in the garden every 5 years !

brain
15-01-2018, 05:15 PM
Fun to see this appearing again. Philips. betamax. Ferguson etc etc and the endless waiting with D2mac till an important prog started on Scandinavian TV and a quick hunt for the new code and on air in 3'!! LOL
The best stupid deal from a certain large store was buying a new TV - 1 year warranty plus £20; 2 year warranty plus £40 - what about a 3 year one sir? No says I - that will be even dearer I said. No - that one is free. Free?? Yes - a special deal with the manufacturer!!!!!!! Keep rolling! - Brain