PDA

View Full Version : Error 71, flash firmware or flash cleaner first?

oldgasman
01-05-2017, 01:52 PM
Dear group, I downloaded and installed the latest firmware from the Icecrypt site, it failed, error 71.
I understand how to do the serial cable recover I think, but, would you recommend reflashing the latest firmware first or the flash cleaner?

Many thanks chaps

oaktye
01-05-2017, 03:50 PM
Hi oldgasman i did the same thing about 3 months ago with a brand new s3550hd, corrupt firmware from the icecrypt site unbelieveable ! so porter express and null modem cable and an old laptop sorted it out for me. i didnt use flashcleaner or anything else just reflashed with a different firmware download ! Hope this helps Regards from a probably slightly younger gas man

buck401
01-05-2017, 04:54 PM
I always use the flash cleaner first and then the firmware without any problems.

oldgasman
01-05-2017, 07:11 PM
Oh let joy be unbounded! By using the search function on this most knowledgeable of forums I found this post

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?157444-How-to-Hard-Flash-Boot-Cleaner-Firmware

Basically I put the image on a USB stick, it failed. I tried another stick, another failure, I tried a 3rd one, success. It loaded and restarted and worked, and I have a new shiny menu screen with this new firmware version.
Thank you for your help,,,,, if i can see so far it's that I have stood on the shoulders of giants.

It makes me wonder chaps, given the mercurial nature of my USB sticks maybe I'd be better off using Porter Express for any future fiddling