PDA

View Full Version : Help - a longer pole or change the LNB ?

ManikM
27-12-2006, 01:44 PM
I now have pics of my dilema - as u can see - the lnb is fine pointing to the west - as it arcs east it catches the tiles - now should i get a longer pole (seems a waste) or change the chunky lnb to an invacom or something more streamlined?

Thanks pimps.

Gone_Fishing
27-12-2006, 02:05 PM
What motor is that as mine goes the other way up to yours ?

TNT

elmingo
27-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Easiest and probably cheadest is the lnb,and sort that wiring out eh?

sleepy
27-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Looking at the pics you could probably take the T&K bracket up another brick, just cost you 5 more rawlbolts.;)

ManikM
27-12-2006, 02:33 PM
What motor is that as mine goes the other way up to yours ?

TNT

god how many times have i heard that - its a moteck sg2100 and designed like that

ManikM
27-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Easiest and probably cheadest is the lnb,and sort that wiring out eh?

whats the point in sorting wiring out before i can even get a signal.

elmingo
27-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Only joking m8!!
I'd go with what Sleepy said myself.
Good luck - elmingo

kegrka
27-12-2006, 04:13 PM
just change the 2m ally pole for a 3,5m galv scaffold pole then buy some cable ties and don't forget to put a loop in the cable and make sure it clears the drive radius(turn):)

LETS ROLL

TheBadger
28-12-2006, 08:51 AM
:confused: Might sound silly but why don't you try the mount the other way up? It would look just like a silent gold then. How you overcome the control problem would be another matter.;)

NeasdenNW10
28-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Or change your motor for a Stab HH1200 or HH120. The dish mounting stub points upwards on those. You would gain upwards of 10-12 inches in height.
NW10

ManikM
28-12-2006, 10:57 AM
Looking at the pics you could probably take the T&K bracket up another brick, just cost you 5 more rawlbolts.;)

Hmm can't be too near top of the wall - it will lose strength surely...?

ManikM
28-12-2006, 11:04 AM
LOL i want the cheapest option mate - not the most expensive.

:)

malsat
28-12-2006, 12:20 PM
LOL
add up how many hours youve spent on it so far and the cost of equipment,it would have been cheaper to have a pro round and fit some quality gear and get the arc with out the hassle.

ManikM
28-12-2006, 12:27 PM
my gear is quality thanks, and all its cost me is a few weeks NOT having sat.

satwyn
28-12-2006, 12:58 PM
your answer is simple no new motor or enything so elaborate you need a longer pole make sure you have at least 1.5M between the T and the K bracket a 3inch alloy tube would help they are more rigid than the 2inch ones I use some at the back of the house with a much heavier dish than yours I did use 2inch steel tube at one time but was loosing signal on very windy days but now no problem if you manage to find a pole long enough an extra K bracket would make a strong setup

ManikM
28-12-2006, 01:08 PM
your answer is simple no new motor or enything so elaborate you need a longer pole make sure you have at least 1.5M between the T and the K bracket a 3inch alloy tube would help they are more rigid than the 2inch ones I use some at the back of the house with a much heavier dish than yours I did use 2inch steel tube at one time but was loosing signal on very windy days but now no problem if you manage to find a pole long enough an extra K bracket would make a strong setup

thanks mate - where to get these poles tho.....

madsod
28-12-2006, 01:12 PM
:confused: Might sound silly but why don't you try the mount the other way up? It would look just like a silent gold then. How you overcome the control problem would be another matter.;)

the motor is the right way m8 turn it upside down and it will fill with water and whould go the wrong way also . just get a bigger pole , and not alu , whould be best all round

Tumbling Dice
28-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Hi M8 just thinking if you go up a brick not tempting fate but the ones below with you already having drilled holes in them may have weaken the brick a little so think on M8.. you will also if you get a longer pole remember the width before you buy make sure it will take the U bolts ok width ect and remember (the saying) the higher you go you need plenty below so to speak otherwise not a very strong winds will have it swaying like a drunk on a Saturday night

PS keep posting M8 I am enjoying reading the post. but sincerely all the Pimps hope you get there and get it working fine take dam good care on the safety side

TD official Nushi fan club member No 765543

satwyn
28-12-2006, 02:55 PM
modifying the t+k bracket to fit a 3inch pole is no big deal the motor will fit the 3inch pole but if you stick to the 2inch ones then get a longer one your problem is only a very minor one more height to clear the roof can be done in half an hour but do take care when up the ladder there are a lot of people having difficulty finding 3inch poles in my opinion in longer lengths the 3inch ones are a lot sturdier some people will say a match stick is strong enough with no practical knowledge of the work

xanadu
28-12-2006, 03:00 PM
@ManikM

The back door has been fitted wrong way round, as the hinges should be on the inside. :confused:

ManikM
28-12-2006, 03:14 PM
LOL!

well it seems to get me in and out the house ok.

ManikM
28-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Hi M8 just thinking if you go up a brick not tempting fate but the ones below with you already having drilled holes in them may have weaken the brick a little so think on M8.. you will also if you get a longer pole remember the width before you buy make sure it will take the U bolts ok width ect and remember (the saying) the higher you go you need plenty below so to speak otherwise not a very strong winds will have it swaying like a drunk on a Saturday night

PS keep posting M8 I am enjoying reading the post. but sincerely all the Pimps hope you get there and get it working fine take dam good care on the safety side

TD official Nushi fan club member No 765543

Thanks!

We had a scaffold tower to get us in line with pole.

We'll have to build it again to change the pole i think.

All i need is a 2.2 metre galv steel pole i reckon...? It only just hits the roof tiles....

Then again, i could just turn the LNB 180 - or get a less CHUNKY LNB - such as the invacom 0.3 twin.

i think so many things - my head starts spinning.

i dont really want to change the pole as it ONLY just skims the tops of the tiles as it goes east.

scorpio61
28-12-2006, 03:35 PM
Try lowering the roof!

ManikM
28-12-2006, 03:50 PM
lol now theres an idea!

Russell Too
28-12-2006, 04:50 PM
if your dish is larger than 1mtr. then you need a HH120 which mounts the other
way up. Else try local scrap yard and look for some steam pipe.
Kind regards Russell
PS. a little higher and you might miss the Gable of the next house and receive more Sat's. from the East!

ManikM
28-12-2006, 05:38 PM
if your dish is larger than 1mtr. then you need a HH120 which mounts the other
way up. Else try local scrap yard and look for some steam pipe.
Kind regards Russell
PS. a little higher and you might miss the Gable of the next house and receive more Sat's. from the East!

i'm not gonna spend 100 quid on a new motor mate just to gain a couple of inches.

my Moteck is a lovely motor and has won rave reviews - u ask RolfW

cosworth4x4
28-12-2006, 06:08 PM
know anyone who can put a bend in the pipe make it stand off the wall,you going to need a longer pipe then but will save you going higher.

picture below will give you the idea but they are only available in 1 inch from that site.

NeasdenNW10
28-12-2006, 08:52 PM
I would go for a 3m scaffold pole and give some more support lower down on your wall.
"K" bracket at the top, a "T" bracket in the middle and another "K" bracket towards the bottom of the pole. Spread the load.
Wind pressure/speed above gutter height increases, just sit on your roff and notice the difference.
NW10

RAIDER
29-12-2006, 12:54 AM
My opion would be a longer pole mate and move your bottom bracket down the wall abit they are way too close together also where about are you in the country i have a few poles here in wakefield one of them is a 12 foot galvinised 2" or 2 1/2" pole that would do the job also i dont mind helping you set it up on the arc 1 have 2 dishes up myself and have installed quite a few for friends so if your not too far away i could help you out just let me know
All the best Raider

pilsner
29-12-2006, 09:39 AM
from looking at picture u can slide dish up motor arm a good 2-inches also why 2 cables hanging from your dish, lnb feed should screw into motor, how far east do u want to see 1mtr dish is waste of time after 42 east im surprised its clipping tiles.pilsner

echelon
29-12-2006, 10:02 AM
I would go for a 3m scaffold pole and give some more support lower down on your wall.
"K" bracket at the top, a "T" bracket in the middle and another "K" bracket towards the bottom of the pole. Spread the load.
Wind pressure/speed above gutter height increases, just sit on your roff and notice the difference.
NW10

My opion would be a longer pole mate and move your bottom bracket down the wall abit they are way too close together also where about are you in the country i have a few poles here in wakefield one of them is a 12 foot galvinised 2" or 2 1/2" pole that would do the job also i dont mind helping you set it up on the arc 1 have 2 dishes up myself and have installed quite a few for friends so if your not too far away i could help you out just let me know
All the best Raider

these solutions , and adding another K bracket lower down the wall seem the best of the ideas so far

tyronepower
29-12-2006, 10:37 AM
Manikm
there is another way to cure your problem did you kmow that you can buy all sizes of t&k brackets they go from twelve inches upto over one metre so if you are using say twelve inche ones you could go to twenty inches which would move your kit another eight inches away from the wall and allow your arm to move round the arc more hope this helps

ManikM
29-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Manikm
there is another way to cure your problem did you kmow that you can buy all sizes of t&k brackets they go from twelve inches upto over one metre so if you are using say twelve inche ones you could go to twenty inches which would move your kit another eight inches away from the wall and allow your arm to move round the arc more hope this helps

LOL! thanks mate - i've used 24" ones!

:o)

I like the idea that my dish can go up the motor arm more - seems least hassle - but thanks again everyone for all your help so far.

Diamonds the lot of you.

ManikM
29-12-2006, 02:11 PM
these solutions , and adding another K bracket lower down the wall seem the best of the ideas so far

cheers mates!!!

:)

ManikM
29-12-2006, 02:13 PM
from looking at picture u can slide dish up motor arm a good 2-inches also why 2 cables hanging from your dish, lnb feed should screw into motor, how far east do u want to see 1mtr dish is waste of time after 42 east im surprised its clipping tiles.pilsner

dual output LNB mate for 2 receivers.

ManikM
29-12-2006, 02:13 PM
All the best Raider

Thanks Raider - really nice of you - but im in hertfordshire mate - hemel hempstead.

The Skipper
05-01-2007, 08:29 PM
I too have the Moteck SG2100
Bang on motor, using it with a Gibertini 90cm.
Easy to install and setup, and personally I think the 'drop-down' design will last longer than the pointy up ones.

Skip.

Oh yeah, get as high up the pole as you can, don't go any higher on the bricks.
On my T&K's I knocked some stainless steel plates to fit over the U-clamp so that the T&K bracket angle iron didn't bend.

ManikM
08-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Do u think a 3 metre scaffold pole will be overkill?

Will it be too heavy for the wall?

Do you think i should get another 1 or 2 brackets to spread the load!?

Also - do you think i will need to change the angle of the dish inclination - the setup has been moved 20 miles north west (london - hemel hempstead).

Should it hopefully only be a matter of moving the dish left or right until i've found 1 west - incidently 1 West is where the motor is currently set to (i locked onto 1west before dismantling the setup)

Thanks guys!!!!

TheBadger
08-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Personally I would fit another T&K pair - I've been using two lots for 10 years and never had any trouble. You shouldn't have to change the dish angles but the elevation angle of the mount may need slight alteration.

ManikM
08-01-2007, 01:09 PM
thanks mate

and a 3 metre scafold pole?! or they easy to hacksaw thru (think im gonna have to buy a 6metre u see)

ok thanks!

Gone_Fishing
08-01-2007, 01:48 PM
thanks mate

and a 3 metre scafold pole?! or they easy to hacksaw thru (think im gonna have to buy a 6metre u see)

ok thanks!

You could hacksaw through it but it would probably take a week :)

What size standoff are your T & K Brackets as you can get
35" now which would probably take you far enough out
from the roof ?

TNT

insomnia
08-01-2007, 02:02 PM
If its just the LNB thats fouling then it may be worth looking at whether you can rotate the LNB 180 degrees.

I've never tried it but the vertical and horizontal polarisations will still be on the same axis so it may be worth a try - and it won't cost anything!

Can anyone confirm if this will work?

ManikM
08-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Hiya pimps.

this is discussed earlier in the thread and yes it should work ok...(turning the lnb 180)

im using 24 inch stand offs mate! - where can u get 35's?

TheBadger
09-01-2007, 08:32 AM
:D No problem shortening it with a full size hacksaw fitted with an HSS blade (not the usual mild steel they come fitted with!).

NeasdenNW10
09-01-2007, 10:55 AM
As The Badger says, HSS (high speed steel) hacksaw blade. I use a metal cutting disc in my angle grinder when at home.
NW10

ManikM
09-01-2007, 12:49 PM
thing is - even tho its my house - my dad reckons a scaffold pole is too heavy for hanging on a wall - LOL with my T & K's

if i buy a scaffold pole i beleive i have to get a 6m one - so i'll have to cut it at the depot - how long will it take dya think?

my dad reckons i should clamp my old 1.5 steel pole to my new 2m ally one so it forms more strength with some more height.

what dya think of that idea?!

am i ever gonna get this sorted!? LOL!!!

Gone_Fishing
09-01-2007, 01:10 PM
im using 24 inch stand offs mate! - where can u get 35's?

Obviously I cant tell you where but google t & k brackets
and your have your answer, if the extra 11" would solve
your problem then it would be the cheapest and easiest
option

TNT

ManikM
09-01-2007, 01:14 PM
wouldnt bigger brackets than 24inch be more load on my poor little wall?

my dad suggests these:

_http://www.aerialsandtv.com/polesandbrackets.html#Clamps

and clamp 2 poles together.

Gone_Fishing
09-01-2007, 01:42 PM
wouldnt bigger brackets than 24inch be more load on my poor little wall?

my dad suggests these:

_http://www.aerialsandtv.com/polesandbrackets.html#Clamps

and clamp 2 poles together.

Just sent my old man a pic and asked him as he was a builder
by trade and he said you would have to use a longer pole
because your brackets are located near the top of the wall

Also depending on how long the pole is you might consider
adding an extra bracket lower down

Seems theres no cutting corners on this one probably not
what you wanted to hear :rolleyes:

TNT

ManikM
09-01-2007, 02:43 PM
thanks mate!

question:

Would a 3 metre scaffold pole be too heavy for the wall? Thats what my bro and dad keep saying.

What about this - if i replaced the 2m ally pole with a steel one, and use a more streamlined LNB - this should work...?

If i did this - would i need another bracket if i simply swapped the ally for steel? (would steel make it more sturdy?)

ABA
09-01-2007, 04:06 PM
looking at your pictures you have your t & k brackets just 15 inches apart
if you get a longer pole make sure it is long enough to move your brackets to about 3 ft apart or more if you can get away with it
the more distance they are apart the more sturdy the pole wil be
as to longer t & k brackets the shorter the better less strain
if you go to a motor factors you can get a 3 meter length 3 inch wide exaust pipe they are plenty strong enouth for what you want and not to heavy

ManikM
09-01-2007, 04:52 PM
thanks mate!!

for 3inch poles, does it require new U clamps, and would that mean drilling another hole in the brackets to accomodate the 3 inch width!?

cheers - r u sure its strong enough at motor factors and can u send me a link or pm me.

thanks!

Slap
16-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Looking back at all your post I am with TNT post 2 and if you had your motor on the other side of the pole you would be able to see the settings marks on the motor and to fine adjust.

Gone_Fishing
16-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Looking back at all your post I am with TNT post 2 and if you had your motor on the other side of the pole you would be able to see the settings marks on the motor and to fine adjust.

Hes already solved the problem

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=59256

TNT

Slap
16-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Yes I know he has but where was the thought to save money and time the solution was there in the first place.

ManikM
16-01-2007, 07:20 PM

what you on about mate!?

how can i put the motor on the other side of the pole - i wanna get sats.

Slap
16-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Turn your motor the other way up and put it on the other side of the pole.

ManikM
16-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Turn your motor the other way up and put it on the other side of the pole.

ITS designed like that you lunatic

Captain Jack
03-02-2007, 01:10 PM
SG2100 are very nice motors. I've used one on my 1.25m Gibertini dish for years without problems. Congrats to ManikM for doing a sterling job on his installation. There's that feeling of satisfaction when you do something yourself!

I had the same problem with my location and I pondered on whether to stick it up on the wall or ground mount it. In the end I decided to mount it in the garden as I thought the bricks wouldn't hold such a heavy dish especially in the winds. Installing the dish behind a fence also provided decent shield from the breezes (it survived recent storms without problems).

As for your problem... well the EASIEST thing to do is simply rotate the LNB 90 degrees so that the bottom is pointing sideways, but then you'd need to change all your horizontal chans to vertical and vice versa. I am sure you could also turn it 180 degrees so that the cables point upwards in which case you wouldn't need to change the polarities

http://img157.imagevenue.com/loc482/th_03271_DSCF0159_122_482lo.JPG (http://img157.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=03271_DSCF0159_122_ 482lo.JPG)http://img153.imagevenue.com/loc522/th_03367_DSCF0160_122_522lo.JPG (http://img153.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=03367_DSCF0160_122_ 522lo.JPG)http://img135.imagevenue.com/loc412/th_03493_DSCF0161_122_412lo.JPG (http://img135.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=03493_DSCF0161_122_ 412lo.JPG)http://img146.imagevenue.com/loc376/th_03580_DSCF0162_122_376lo.JPG (http://img146.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=03580_DSCF0162_122_ 376lo.JPG)

ManikM
15-04-2008, 10:14 PM
LOL a year and half later - sooooo funny!!!

Thanks to all that helped!!!

Captain Jack
15-04-2008, 10:15 PM
And the dish is still up!!! :D

ManikM
15-04-2008, 10:17 PM
@ManikM

The back door has been fitted wrong way round, as the hinges should be on the inside. :confused:

its to avoid the oven door when open i guess (small kitchen) with a clever use of space.

ManikM
15-04-2008, 10:17 PM
And the dish is still up!!! :D

LOL yes - and stayed strong in the winds we've had (touch wood)

im not sure if i ever posted the final pics...i'll have a look...

No i didnt - here they are...

(three t & ks and a scaffold pole)