PDA

View Full Version : Echostar pulse not working or is it jaeger mount?

markie
27-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Basically, have Echostar 3600 receiver, which has worked fine with another make of mount at my old address for years. Moved house and bought new Jaeger smr99g h-h mount and new dish. It is tracking the arc fine, but what is happening is that I am storing the Sat positions via the Echostar (e.g. Thor at 1365 (1365 is just a dish position number assigned by the Echostar, no other relevance) , but when you return to Thor the receiver shows the dish has moved back to position 1365, but no Thor because the motor arm has not moved back to the correct position (i.e. 0 on the mount); it is approx 5 degrees out . Using the Echostar you can move the dish east or west to find Thor again and store the new dish position, but once you return it is out again !! This is true for all the other satellites. I assume the pulse setting is not working as it should. Have tried changing the pulse wires around, but no difference and I have not connected the motor wires to the pulse ! Do you think this points towards the Jaeger mount playing up, or the Echostar receiver? Would doubt the receiver, as it did work fine like I stated above, but have not used it for 4 months until now.

Any help much appreciated.....

steeler
27-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Hi Markie have same set up, have renewed one motor as it gave up the ghost. Prior to this I had the same problem, whilst taking down broken motor, noticed that the moveable driven arm from the motor is secured to the dish and 2 bolts pass through the spindle. These had worked loose and caused a slight slippage on position every time the dish was sent in each direction. Setting the receiver to Auto seek made things worse (as I now see) as it constantly moved right and left to align. Might be worth checking this before you start paying. Doubt its the receiver they are pretty robust in motor area. Next guess would be replace reed switch( very cheap).

tr8.
28-12-2006, 01:14 PM
first and most likely is the cable to the motor, check that the motor conections are soldered this better conection to both the echostar and dish motor, what cable is being used? has it been damaged or kinked? or is it very long? by switching the cable all it does is change east and west, if the reed switch had gone it would not move, as the mount is new that may have a fault but rare, the echo is very robust and not likely to be the reciever, have you checked there is no movement on the dish,pole etc
I drilled and pined all my brackets they dont have any chance of movement

tr8

Ghoulie
28-12-2006, 01:19 PM
if i play around and try extreme limits E & W - known settings slip by a count of @ 50. - but if i stay shall we say central - astra2 to Thor - no problems - but beyond these get the 50 count slip.

silver echo 3600 via ip