PDA

View Full Version : Who are Echostar?

sstylianou1976
01-01-2007, 10:44 PM
I thought I post info on each make so that everyone will know where they are from and what they do. Using Wikipedia here is the info for each make:

'EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) is the parent company of DISH Network and the maintainer of the satellite fleet that provides the signal that DISH Network markets. The company also designs and manufactures set-top boxes to receive the Freeview (DVB-T) broadcasts in the United Kingdom, as well as generic DVB-S receivers.

EchoStar was formed in 1980 by its chairman and CEO Charlie Ergen as a distributor of C band TV systems. In 1987, EchoStar applied for a direct broadcast satellite (DBS) license with the Federal Communications Commission and was granted access to orbital slot 119° west longitude in 1992.

On December 28, 1995, EchoStar successfully launched its first satellite, EchoStar I. That same year, EchoStar established the DISH Network brand name to market its home satellite TV system.

In 1998, EchoStar purchased the broadcasting assets of a satellite broadcasting joint venture of News Corporation's ASkyB and MCI Worldcom. With this purchase EchoStar obtained 28 of the 32 transponder licenses in the 110° W orbital slot, more than doubling existing CONUS broadcasting capacity at a value of $682.5 million dollars. The acquisition inspired the company to introduce a multi-satellite system called DISH 500, theoretically capable of receiving more than 500 channels on one dish.

In January 2005, EchoStar bought the broadcasting assets of the troubled HDTV DBS company Voom including its Rainbow 1 satellite co-located with EchoStar 3 at 61.5° W. On April 29, EchoStar announced that it would expand its HDTV programming by adding the first 10 of 21 original Voom channels and mirror the channels on a CONUS slot.'

Regards,

sstylianou1976

satmo
01-01-2007, 10:50 PM
thankx for the info m8
not on this thread but all the previous ones...

satmo

sstylianou1976
01-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Thanks mate will try to do the same for other makes too but some are not on wikipedia at present so may have to hold fire until I can find some sites to provide the right info for each company since I believe it will help many sat users and provide a educational experience ( and I don't mean the **** by the way in case anyone is wondering :D ) on this sat forum.;)

Best regards,

sstylianou1976

morfsta
04-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Your posting is not related at all to the company Echostar who make satellite receivers (the purpose of this subforum). The Echostar you mention above is a satellite broadcaster in the US.

Power Bank
10-01-2007, 04:55 AM
thanx for clarifying this Echostar is not the receiver manufacturer. It saves me from saying an unkind word or two about them. The shwines stopped giving the satellite downloads of software updates for my Echostar 3600 IP I could receive on Heatbird 13 deg.

Power Bank :mad:

germar
17-02-2007, 05:53 PM
HI any information about echostar 2300 2ci please thanks in adbance