PDA

View Full Version : Co-pilot

paul.p911
05-02-2007, 10:12 AM
I have had a quick look at this section and surprised to see no one mentioned co-pilot as this is easily the equal to Tom Tom, it uses the same navtec maps, and has been around for quite a while.One of the differences is that instead of just saying turn left, or turn right this software says turn left onto philip avenue, or turn left onto davids close ect. Which is as you would agree quite a nice touch.I have run and still run both Tom Tom and Co-pilot,but use co-pilot professionally as i am a courier.I have found over the years that Tom Tom has adopted many pionts that Co-pilot instigated,and vice a versa of course,So please can we accept there are more than one market leader.may I just say that I have been using GPS for as long as it has been available,I paid a £1000 for my first system and it was for co-pilot software and it has improved greatly and got cheaper over the years as there are more types available now.

traveller
06-02-2007, 10:06 PM
I think you will find that Tom Tom uses Tele Atlas not Navteq maps ( my Sony has the Navteq maps and they are much clearer than the Tom Tom 6 on my Ipaq). You'r right in saying that there is more than one sat nav out there and co-pilot running on a phone has to be the answer for a lot of people. One thing Tom Tom has over some of the other sat navs is the ease of use. A mate had a early Garmin and the menus where crap, you could drive there quicker than entering the address.:D

xanadu
06-02-2007, 11:16 PM
TomTom is the easiest to use, and the most hackable which is why it is so popular.
There are no hacks for co-pilot and it's more geared up for business use and can be too complicated for the average person to use.

TomTom on a mobile phone is great. :)

paul.p911
31-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Ok you seem to think tom tom is easy to use have you tried others? or is TTom the only one you given a chance to?I am not saying one way or another,they all drive me nuts on some points and they all have grey areas that is for sure.But what should people look for when buying a GPS. What are the defining items that make the difference? For a start Sirf star 3 chipset is a must what comes after that for you ?,Is it the detail ease of use,more choice? or what?

eme
31-05-2007, 03:10 PM
i have both tomtom on pda phones and Co-pilot, keep going back to tomtom.:)