PDA

View Full Version : Tools to extract files from dreambox images?

mrdude
05-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Hey guys, I recently bought a dreambox 500 and was wondering if there were any windows tools to open a dreambox image file and extract the contents? I know I can just install the image on the box and take what I need that way but If I had an image extractor it would make life easier for me.

Cheers.

digger556
05-04-2007, 07:50 PM
I dont really understand what youre trying to achieve m8 ?

The Image is linux-code.... install the image to the dbx and ftp from pc to dbx.... youll then see the folders and files in the image.... the scripts are editable which is why it is so interesting.... ;)

if you want to reverse the code..... look at sommat like idapro or olly to see whats happening???? but afaik i dont think that would be possible.... someone else might be able to assist?

dig5

mrdude
05-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Of course it's possible m8, the dbox2 is using the same software (linux) and there is a tool called New tux flash - this lets you load a neutrino based image file and extract whatever files you want from the image.

It's kind of like when you open an iso file using isobuster, ultraiso etc - all the files are just stored in an image.

I don't need to use ida pro because I don't want to reverse engineer anything - but if I did I would still need to extract the image contents before decompiling the files the image contained.

Anyway I am sure you don't know what I am talking about and therefore don't know which tools are available - however I know that a tool exists because I used it a long time ago I just can't remember what it's called, therefore I can't use google to search for it - I did find a java tool to do what I need today but I don't want to install java on my laptop just to extract some files especially since there is no doubt a win32 version floating around.

digger556
06-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi dude....

You are right m8, I didnt know that you could extract images from say, the dbox2.... i aint ever experimented with that item. I have however experimented with dbx's but in the same breath, never needed to extract owt from the images. As i say, hopefully someone in the know may assist here?

If the linux extractor-(tuxflash) works for the dbox2 images.... wouldnt it just work for the dbx images or is that just specifically for the neutrino based images ??? I have to say that I have never come across any software you describe on the dbx forums i visit ???

Ill have an ask about and keep a look out for you m8y.... sorry i couldnt help you.

dig5

mrdude
07-04-2007, 02:04 AM
OK cheers m8, dbox2 images can be both neutrino or enigma based much like the dreambox, but they are slighty different therefore the the dreambox tools won't work with them - however some do but that's mostly just streaming type tools.

digger556
07-04-2007, 11:04 AM
nps m8..... feelers are out.....

I would be interested in this myself, i can see the benefit or making custom personally tailored .nfi images....

dig5