PDA

View Full Version : null Cable

Tumbling Dice
21-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Hi M8s
Just got a Technomate 1500 (as always I am crap at explaining) I have patched the receiver so I know how to do that ? (Ok pick yourselves up of the floor m8s)? but if someone can put me in the picture about the cable I used (null modem R232) at the moment I have to disconnect the coaxial cable from dish and the scart lead and mains cable then carry stb to my PC and do the patching (no problem) and then reconnect the stb to all the cables ie scart mains cable & coaxial dish (job done)

but my PC is about 4 meters from my Technomate so if I got a 4 meter (null modem r232) cable and connect it to sat box from PC without having to unplug everything every time I need to patch ? can I patch it like that ?? or have you got to remove scart and coaxial to do it I know you have got to have STB in standby mode when patching ? then after I have done the patch I just have to remove cable from from STB and put it neatly behind mc PC desk till next time plus one last thing with the cable been 4 meters in length could this affect the data transfer due to the length of the cable
the reason I want to do it this way is because I am heavy handed and i will have less stuff to disconnect every time I patch

Kiind Regards
TD

madsod
21-04-2007, 11:56 AM
i keep all my leads in and just send patch . no need to take any cables out

echelon
21-04-2007, 12:01 PM
i keep all my leads in and just send patch . no need to take any cables out

same here , my tm1500ci and my samsung 9500 viaci are both permanently connected to com ports 1 and 2 on my pc

I made the null modem cable myself using 8 way alarm wire ( or phone wire will do ) but a bought cable would also work no problem

if you wanted a longer lead you could use your present null modem cable and extend it using a 9 pin straight wired serial cable ( male to female 9 pin , all pins wired )

4 metres is fine as mine is probably more like 8 or 10 meters , and you could use up to say 20 metres if you needed to

Tumbling Dice
21-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Cheers M8s :)

I am flea bay bound

TD