PDA

View Full Version : thinking of buying a hd tv any help please

paul01609
31-05-2007, 06:49 PM
im thinking about buying a 1080 hd plasma or lcd tv this weekend,i have been looking at d/l some hd movies wich are like about 8gb will theese still play off a normal dvd player in hd burnt on to a duel layer disc?or would i need to buy if at all possible a hd dvd player if there is any.also i have a media center pc will the hd tv be able to be used as a moniter? im using my plasma as one at the moment but the wrighting is so crap
sorry to ask some thing that might be simple but i know nothing about hd
many thanks fellow pimps

Gone_Fishing
31-05-2007, 07:55 PM
HD movies you can download are mostly MKV/H.264 which currently isn't supported by any hardware player so you
would have to playback using your PC hooked up to the screen

The other option is to buy a HD DVD or Blu Ray player but you would have to buy the movies legit that is if you have any
money left after buying a 1080 screen :D

TNT

leeboy
31-05-2007, 07:57 PM
The Pioneer PDP427XDE is probably the best tv on the market at around the £2000 price range. It surports 1080i and has two HDMI inputs on it which you will need to watch true digital uncompressed High Definition from an HD source. If you have a fairly new media center on your PC it should have a HDMI output which you can connect directly to the screen or possably a dvi connection which you can convert to HDMI. This means you wont have to burn any films as standard dvd players wont play hd content anyway. Most of the hd content i have d/l has been compressed and is not what it says it is. Your best bet is to get a humax hdci2000 reciever and a bluray dvd player with the Pioneer.

paul01609
31-05-2007, 08:08 PM
£2000 is well out of my price range im thinking more around £1000,my pc has dvi connection so if i got a dvi to hdmi cable and down load a hd movie will that play off my pc in high def?

Gone_Fishing
31-05-2007, 08:10 PM
The Pioneer PDP427XDE is probably the best tv on the market at around the £2000 price range. It surports 1080i and has two HDMI inputs on it which you will need to watch true digital uncompressed High Definition from an HD source. If you have a fairly new media center on your PC it should have a HDMI output which you can connect directly to the screen or possably a dvi connection which you can convert to HDMI. This means you wont have to burn any films as standard dvd players wont play hd content anyway. Most of the hd content i have d/l has been compressed and is not what it says it is. Your best bet is to get a humax hdci2000 reciever and a bluray dvd player with the Pioneer.

The Pioneer PDP427XDE supports 1080i that means you can feed it 1080i but its not a 1080 screen that can display full
1080 Res, its also one of the worst screens for retention which means using it for PC use is out of the question

As for HD you can download they are HD DVD and Blu Ray rips done in MKV/H.264 and the picture is fantastic

Yes you can connect it to your PC with a DVI but you wont be buying a 1080 screen for £1000

TNT

MandM
31-05-2007, 08:13 PM
have look at samsung M or F series, both have good reviews/followings and probably fit your budget/requiremnts!
good luck

paul01609
31-05-2007, 08:14 PM
or should i just go with the 720 hd tv im thinking more to wards a plasma than a lcd,had a lcd and at the moment i have a plasma wich i think the picture is much better on my plsama.also i have a 360 and was thinking about about the hd player but if its not possible to burn the hd movies will be a waste of money i think

Gone_Fishing
31-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Just to clear things up any 42" plasma you buy will have a resolution of 1024x768 a full 1080 screen will have a Res of 1920x1080

You can copy HD DVD discs using a HD DVD 360 drive hooked up to a PC and store them on a hard drive but each movie will
be 40 - 50GB in size so your need a big drive, you can burn them to HD DVD discs but they cost as much as the movie its self

If your going to be playing 360 games you want to buy a screen that doesn't suffer from much retention like a Panasonic

TNT

paul01609
04-06-2007, 03:43 PM
well i got a toshiba full hd tv with an extra 3 years warranty 42"lcd £949 save my self prolly about £400 on comet and currys prices with the savings on the tv and warrenty very happy with the system and i can really recomend empire direct fantastic.and the 3 years warrenty was an extra £20 because i spent over £200