PDA

View Full Version : FTA on Astra 28.2E ?

psxnet
19-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have a 90cm mororised system, 1500CI+ with the latest darkman firmware, and a dragon cam as and when required.

The problem I have is that although I can get most fta channels on a variety of satellites, whenever I try to get any from Astra on 28.2E, like 10.788V for instance, although I get a good signal, 97% Level and 85% Quality, all it tells me is "No Audio/Video".

I'm sure it must be me thats doing something wrong, or do I need a FTA card to view these channels ?

Thanks.

echelon
19-06-2007, 06:49 PM
the fta channels are all free to air , hence the name fta

so with your receiver you can get any fta channels on any sat you can see , never mind 28e

so yes you can get all fta channels on 28e and no patch and no cards or cams required

but obviously you need the correct frequency , symbol rate etc to get them

I would do a full channel search on 28e but choose fta only , so you only get fta channels

then alter the list to suit yourself by moving them into the top 40 or top 50 channels , from say 01 to 50

psxnet
19-06-2007, 07:09 PM
OK thanks for that, I will give it a go and see what happens.

I just couldn't understand why I was getting the message with such a good signal.

echelon
19-06-2007, 07:16 PM
if they arent transmitting then you will get good signal , providing they are transmitting the channel ident

so you can get good signal on a channel with no contemt

check lyng sat and king ofsat for up to date channel details

satpaul
19-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Your probably on Astra1

psxnet
20-06-2007, 11:59 PM
It looks like I must be pointing at the wrong sat somewhere as I cant get ANY of the FTA BBC or ITV channels at all, even with a good signal and connecting up the old sky receiver just tells me there is no signal despite the setup screen telling me it's locked OK !

Time to get someone in to set the dish up correctly I think, or forget about these channels and make do with all the others :D

Detlef
21-06-2007, 01:53 AM
You should have a manual override on your STB so that you can nudge the dish a bit.

Find a sat - preferrably one of the eastern ones like Astra 1 (19E) or HotBird (13E) that does give you the correct channels then slowly nudge the dish eastwards whilst checking for a channel like Sky News (12207 V SR 27500 FEC 2/3).

Then try the BBC/ITV ones.

I've suggested using Sky News for the search as some STBs have problems with the lower frequency transponders.Also your channel list may be well out of date and thus the BBC/ITV channels may still be set on the old values before they went FTA.

echelon
21-06-2007, 07:51 AM
It looks like I must be pointing at the wrong sat somewhere as I cant get ANY of the FTA BBC or ITV channels at all, even with a good signal and connecting up the old sky receiver just tells me there is no signal despite the setup screen telling me it's locked OK !

Time to get someone in to set the dish up correctly I think, or forget about these channels and make do with all the others :D

what is your approximate location ?

if you are not in the uk then this may explain your problem as some of the channels are tightly focussed onto the uk itself , especially the freebies like bbc and itv

if you are in the uk then either something is blocking the signal or you are not tracking the arc correctly

psxnet
24-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the replies folks, and satpaul hit the nail on the head, I was pointing 19E at the wrong satellite :redface:

Moving it around manually (as Detlef suggested) soon got everything I was looking for.

Oh and I'm in Lincs echelon.