PDA

View Full Version : Is Sky Hd Worth It?

chelseaboy
26-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Would you pay for SKY HD? Personally i wouldnt, heres a simple poll to see who would and who wouldnt.

Personally i think it works out very expensive and thats the reason i would not subscribe would you?

chelseaboy

jackpot18uk
27-06-2007, 12:11 AM
I've BBC HD which is great, but I wouldn't pay extra for Sky HD, might be good but pay Sky enough, £55 a month and the box is overpriced. Pace HD box £99

charlie123
27-06-2007, 12:14 AM
Virgin PVR box, u dont pay anything, but lack of HD content

stevied
27-06-2007, 12:36 AM
I voted no

Not too fussed about sky hd at the mo

Dont get me wrong would love to see sport and nature progs in hd but think i will wait for dreambox 8000 and then see .

I pay sky too much already [if i didnt have kids i would get rid [of sky]!!]

stevied
27-06-2007, 12:45 AM
Would you pay for SKY HD? Personally i wouldnt, heres a simple poll to see who would and who wouldnt.

Personally i think it works out very expensive and thats the reason i would not subscribe would you?

chelseaboy

Chelseaboy

When i read you comments in my head, i have the voice of borat!! :D

spud
27-06-2007, 01:35 AM
I had it for 1st 12 months then cancelled the HD sub,films are no where as good as HDDVD or Blu ray but the football does look great.

aecpaecp
27-06-2007, 06:38 AM
man - the whole point is not to need sly!!!!!

Oldhamred
28-06-2007, 05:48 PM
I voted no.

Got a HD box as my Sky+ box died on me. Got my card transferred an the robbing barstewards upgraded my subscription without telling me. As soon as the extr money went out I called them and read the riot act. Got my initial £20 to come back but the HD channels are in the clear. If they take the money again someone is in deap do-do cause I got his name etc.

Even though it's 'free' at the moment I'm still not totally won over by it. Anyway aren't all the American programmes filmed in HD so surely it should be other users paying more as the picture is having to be downgraded?

Much rather tune into D+.

Oldhamred.

painter
30-06-2007, 08:09 AM
I voted no.

Got a HD box as my Sky+ box died on me. Got my card transferred an the robbing barstewards upgraded my subscription without telling me. As soon as the extr money went out I called them and read the riot act. Got my initial £20 to come back but the HD channels are in the clear. If they take the money again someone is in deap do-do cause I got his name etc.

Even though it's 'free' at the moment I'm still not totally won over by it. Anyway aren't all the American programmes filmed in HD so surely it should be other users paying more as the picture is having to be downgraded?

Much rather tune into D+.

Oldhamred.

Been waiting for the DM 8000 to appear for a while now, so I could get a look at some HD broadcasts.
There is a HD ready humax on the market now but have been told its not patchable certainly would not subscribe to that robbin ba****rd Murdoch.

regards painter

zad
30-06-2007, 09:28 AM
ok own up! who said yes?

how can £10 per month + the overpriced box be worth it when only 50% of the programs on the few hd channels are actualy hd?

fair enough in the future (even a year or so) when everything is recorded in true hd this may be worth it however when that happens no doubt sly will have to compress the data more to fit it in there bandwidth alowance meaning a reduction in quality.

TonyO
30-06-2007, 11:28 AM
which is usually shot in low def, its the same programmes shot on the same formats but transmitted in a slightly higher bandwidth.

Digital is by its nature is low def, compressed soft blocky smeary colour bleeding and quite often out of sync, its a quantity medium not a quality one.

Thats why the broadcasters introduced it.

simon 2003
30-06-2007, 06:43 PM
ok own up! who said yes?

how can £10 per month + the overpriced box be worth it when only 50% of the programs on the few hd channels are actualy hd?

fair enough in the future (even a year or so) when everything is recorded in true hd this may be worth it however when that happens no doubt sly will have to compress the data more to fit it in there bandwidth alowance meaning a reduction in quality.

me sorry ;):rolleyes:but i think its good,the footie is **** hot on my fuji 50" in HD,yea ok lot of upscaled stuff which is crap well marginally better than SD but national geo HD bbc HD ect..are awesome its new tech so i dont mind paying ,ive blagged 12 months halfprice sky cos last season prem plus wouldnt record so happy at the minute
will the other 3 voters please own up :D
simon

aircooled
01-07-2007, 11:39 PM
i fit the stuff and i wouldnt pay the extra for 11 channels wait a year or 2 let them sort out the programing and cost then maybee .Also give them achance to iron out the niggles with it as i dont to swap my nice new hd box for a recon one if it goes **** up on me............

Tarzan
02-07-2007, 07:42 AM
I cancelled my HD sub after 2 weeks as I couldn't justify myself paying £10 extra pm for just a few decent programs in HD.

mintyfresh
07-07-2007, 08:52 PM
It's difficult to justify paying an extra £10 a month for no real new content, just the content in hd. Hopefully in the future they will scrap the charge like they did with sky+ when you take out a premium channel.

bonovox
08-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Whats with the extra £10 a month? Isn't £40 a month enough to be paying out as it is for the SD stuff? You would think that they would include HD in the subscription. Then theres the extra for sly+ as well. So how much does it ALL cost if you get everything on sly now?

fernandez
08-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Then theres the extra for sly+ as well.

Sky+ has been free since July 1st provided you subscribe to a minimum 2 mixes

_http://tinyurl.com/2fyctv

ManikM
08-07-2007, 09:25 AM
which is usually shot in low def, its the same programmes shot on the same formats but transmitted in a slightly higher bandwidth.

Digital is by its nature is low def, compressed soft blocky smeary colour bleeding and quite often out of sync, its a quantity medium not a quality one.

Thats why the broadcasters introduced it.

True, imagine the quality difference we'd see, if the current broadcasted stuff wasn't compressed (blocky \ smeary) That would almost seem like HD.

BUT sadly its not viable.

ABA
08-07-2007, 12:29 PM
sky hd boxs have a standard fault in them
if you leace them on pause for to long
it nackers them up

munted101
08-07-2007, 07:50 PM
I said yes, and if you like your footie, it is an absolute must - the picture is **** hot and even using component video.

It's surprising how so many people disregard Sky HD and haven't even tried it.

As for the fact of paying Sky £40 for a sub, you'd better check your bank account's pimps, as the World package hasn't been that low for a while now.

I'd rather pay an extra £10 a month for the HD content than wasting my hard earned cash on dud smart cards.

leesouthnufc
08-07-2007, 09:08 PM
well at first i thought it was alright but i had the opputuinty to set up hd box with sony bravia ... ( wimbledon what a picture best id ever seen i have to say clour shapness just real class and reality fantastic ..

leesouthnufc
08-07-2007, 09:09 PM
true hd through the technology of the bbc much better ...

Barney
09-07-2007, 01:05 AM
i say NO..more £££'s For Rupie .... Not worth payin extra i would'nt Pay sky sub or HD on Top of sub when i can watch free on C/S ,fook SkyUK..too expensive.Rip off adds adds and more bloody adds then more adds,
Crap Tv if ya ask me better channls on other sats defo ,
regards,
barney

zad
09-07-2007, 10:23 AM
i say NO..more £££'s For Rupie .... Not worth payin extra i would'nt Pay sky sub or HD on Top of sub when i can watch free on C/S ,fook SkyUK..too expensive.Rip off adds adds and more bloody adds then more adds,
Crap Tv if ya ask me better channls on other sats defo ,
regards,
barney

you have to remember tho! if everyone took that attitude there would be no subs and that would mean no cs ether!

the basic sky sub is not that expensive and i have one, however would not pay the extra £10 for a few hd channels

staffspeted
10-07-2007, 04:43 PM
I voted yes but then I'm a millionaire so can afford it!

canthackit
12-07-2007, 11:33 AM
I've voted no.

but i'm just waiting for the installer to arrive full package plus sport...f***king mad i know.

i had the humax 2000 box and a t-rex cam for the world cup got fed up with codes keep ging down so i sold them.

now i wait they've just arrived and my little heart is beating faster and faster eager to get my grubby little mits on the remote to see what i've sold my soul to.

best regards: canthackit

canthackit
13-07-2007, 05:53 PM
ok

all set up HD channels all there got me DD sound system up and running plenty of LFE...conclusion for £299.00 for the box, plus £43.50 for the full package, and a tenner for the HD channels, it's a hype and a rip off don't be suckered like me, i've been around this scene long enough now i should know better.

Oh well no fool like an old fool.

upset and regards: canthackit

leesouthnufc
13-07-2007, 06:35 PM
ok

all set up HD channels all there got me DD sound system up and running plenty of LFE...conclusion for £299.00 for the box, plus £43.50 for the full package, and a tenner for the HD channels, it's a hype and a rip off don't be suckered like me, i've been around this scene long enough now i should know better.

hi i do nt think the sly sports is brilliant but wimbledon was fantastic viewing .. what i saw ...

chelseaboy
13-07-2007, 07:20 PM
hi i do nt think the sly sports is brilliant but wimbledon was fantastic viewing .. what i saw ...

wimbledon was free to air with any hd box, so you dont need to have sky hd.

chelseaboy

leesouthnufc
13-07-2007, 07:40 PM
just compare the sly hd then put on the bbc preview channel on and see the difference .. if its filmed in true h d its superb ..

tad
15-07-2007, 11:17 PM
no not worth the money

spud
15-07-2007, 11:28 PM
ok

Still cancel for a full refund mate.you get 30 days.

canthackit
16-07-2007, 05:05 PM
Spud

i'm glad you told me that....i'll get me 29 days worth and then cancel.

and oh by the way just this morning i get a circular from s£y telling me my subs are going up to £54.00 for august then up to £55.50 from september and then on.

king gr8 i've only been with 'em for 3 days and they're king conning me for more already.

regards: canthackit

tr8.
16-07-2007, 06:01 PM
but what about hd in general, i am trying to get my wife to believe we realy realy need a hd sat reciever, and shes only just got over the technomate 9100 appearing, but as i pointed out it was to cheap to not get one!!

and what hd box would you get?
my new 9100 linux based unit i now realy love and still not using all it can do

tr8

satbird
16-07-2007, 07:19 PM
I'd rather pay an extra £10 a month for the HD content than wasting my hard earned cash on dud smart cards.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you m8 i have spent hundreds on satelite stuff wishing now i had not bothered.
Sky HD in my opinion is worth the money if you like football.:)

chelseaboy
23-07-2007, 11:43 AM
I'd rather pay an extra £10 a month for the HD content than wasting my hard earned cash on dud smart cards.

Totally agree with you m8 i have spent hundreds on satelite stuff wishing now i had not bothered.
Sky HD in my opinion is worth the money if you like football.:)[/QUOTE]

Its not just the 10 pound, if you want to watch the football in hd, you have to subscribe for the football likewise the films.

i personally think 55 pound a month is a lot of money 12 months 660 pound.

you can get a digitalb card, humax hd reciever, motorised dish, trex cam,diablo cam, gamma card and you will still not have spent as much as what you would have paid sky.

You could even probably add a small hd lcd on top.

The thing with sky is the films are shown over and over again, and the only films that are worth watching are the ppv films which you have to pay on top.

And as for the football you can watch in hd, how about all the other games?

If you are willing to spend all that money on sky to watch a few football games, fair play to you.

I think what you will find is most people who say its worth it, our trying to justify there purchase beacause they are stuck in a 12 month contracts.

Lets see what they say in a few months.

I had a humax and i have to admit the picture was good, but i didnt think it was worth it so i sold that on and bought 9100.

chelseaboy

BOOGIBEAR
30-07-2007, 09:16 PM
s#y are robin b#stards,wouldnt give em the steam off mi s##t:eek:,fook i hate them,monopalizing fookrs,so many questions they wont answer,dont mind adverts but some of them go on for ages,change channel and they all seem to be on adverts,couincidence i think not,brainwashing,possibly:eek::D

Detlef
30-07-2007, 11:25 PM
I voted yes but then I'm a millionaire so can afford it!
:D

But you don't get to be a millionaire by wasting money on overpriced stuff.

This is another case of S!yholding back progress by overpricing - just like they did by killing off DMac in the UK some 15 years ago.

Although Hollywood makes stuff in HD many channels only use standard DVDs or even professional tapes.

TCM can't even get widescreen right and transmit in either cropped or letterbox when a standard S1y box could sort it all out for them if they did it properly.

Ragnarok
03-08-2007, 04:13 PM

Sky HD in my opinion is worth the money if you like football.:)[/QUOTE]

I agree in part with the above, Sky HD is a quality product, I personaly think it's worth it. The Sports is quality and not just football but a huge range or sport, Football, Cricket, Speedway, Darts, WWE, Rugby, Golf, NFL, Boxing, Pool, Tennis, ect and nobody else comes colse to sky's comprehensive coverage, only football or GAA can you find more of elsewhere. The movies yea they get repeated but there are only a finite amount and with loads of movie channels of course they are going to be repeated.

As far as other sats go I'm sticking to my Skystar2 now, most encryptions when hacked publicly are always available pretty quickly on there and it's highly unlikly to not be able to handle any new encryptions, Plus there is card sharing. With cam's and cards you never know if the software suport is going to remain, or if the hardware will be able to handle new encryptions.

For me there is simply no point in spending stupid money on satellite comertial hacks( ok there are a few gems but the reality is that you won't know if you going to get your moneys worth untill it's been going a good year or so and by then you may be too late) or ligit services if you don't like the price or the service.

At least with ligit services you know exactly what you get for what price. With Hacks of any kind it's a gamble, so obviously the less you pay the better.

speedo28
04-08-2007, 09:07 PM
I find anything to do with sky is a total rip off
they make you pay extra for everything ie if you subscribe to sports they make you pay extra for a premium match or fight
I would not give them the time of day

PioneerHD
06-08-2007, 09:54 AM
There is not enough channels for me, yet but soon enough there will be lots and i will upgrade to HD

rasp
06-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Why not do a self install.

£188 with quad Lnb HDMI lead.married existing card to new sky hd box you do not have take out extra subs until you want to.

Sold two SKY DIGI boxes £50 in total.

£188 - £50 total cost £138

RASP

canthackit
07-08-2007, 05:06 PM
just to reiterate my opinion that it's not worth it.

the programming line up particularly on HD is appalling, it's so bad i've not even bothered to boot the box, it's just not worth the bother.

please don't subscribe to it you'll regret it.

regards: canthackit

BOOGIBEAR
21-08-2007, 11:52 AM
great if you like watching a lot of comercials:)

jackdusty
23-08-2007, 12:16 PM
I have Sky HD and intend cancelling. Once the programme contents improve then I may return. My TV upgrades the picture and there is not a big difference. Yet to see a bluray/hd dvd movie.

JD

Detlef
15-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Getting into new technology too early usually leads to disappointment. Given a year or so the price will halve, the content will improve and the channels will agree a common format.

chelseaboy
13-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Ive gone down the ps3 route to view hd, ive got a 3 month free rental at xxxxfilm and have been ordering films that i want to watch, not what sky are going to throw at me.

happy days chelseaboy

bgsats
30-11-2007, 12:28 PM
How do other European HD broadcasters deal with subscriptions? Do they charge an extra monthly amount - if so how much?

Bud3
11-12-2007, 11:09 PM
I personally think they sent out low quality pictures to start with so they could then charge for a better quality later, I don't think it would have cost them much more if they had sent out good quality at the begining but they did it low quality first just to get more money out of us, as they do !!!!!! I would not pay. ;)

GARTCOSH
17-12-2007, 12:26 AM
i think they have lowered the quality of normal channels so it makes hd look even better.