PDA

View Full Version : Iboot and UR9beta - be very careful!

retainedstatue
05-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Having just bricked my 9100, just a cautionary note. I was trying to install iboot onto the box, running a clean version of ur9beta (with no emus etc). I`ve installed iboot several times and never had a problem, so I know I didn`t mess that up, but having just failed a couple of times, the 9100 went off, leaving me with just the red power light and nothing else whatsoever. No access to box from DCC, no serial update etc, no possibility of factory reset = corrupted flash.
Got my jtag cable and will be fixing it tonight, but I know of a few other people who are pretty experienced with this box having similar problems. Might be worth getting hold of a jtag cable just in case.

zad
05-07-2007, 04:00 PM
there not too hard to make up if you know how to solder, you can get all the parts for about £5

retainedstatue
05-07-2007, 04:16 PM
That was my problem, wouldn`t know one end of a soldering iron from the other. Luckily a member of another forum I go on took pity on me, so I`ll be having a go at resurrecting my 9100 tonight.

goodolddad
05-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Are you saying you tried to install iboot on your image before you had run the setup sequence?.

retainedstatue
05-07-2007, 04:35 PM
No, I flashed the image via LAN, ran the setup sequence, scanned Astra1, put it on fta channel then tried to install iboot. I meant I hadn`t downloaded any plugins, emus etc.

Gone_Fishing
05-07-2007, 07:00 PM
That sucks hope you get it sorted !

Maybe its a coincidence as far as I know it only installs extra_run on the flash but who knows

What I don't get is I followed evilged guide when I installed iboot but iboot will install perfectly well from start to finish
just using the iboot program ?

Don't get me wrong I'm grateful for his guide as it helped me to understand how it works and if it wont install he
provides files for manual install which is great

I would just say to anyone installing it try using the iboot program for the whole install if it doesn't work then use his guide

Or have I missed something ?

TNT

satzzz
05-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Did you try holding the channel up key on the rec while turning the box on.Then try a factory reset from there.

goodolddad
05-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Sorry for my late reply to answer but i had to look after the horses, so you have done what you would normally do when installing an image into flash, did you by any chance leave the memory card in the box?.
Did you try to replace a backup of a previous images settings?.

nml
06-07-2007, 07:14 AM
The same thing happened to me when installing 08 but i didn't have iboot or memory card installed and the box is still dead.
I am waiting for jtag cable to become available for purchase because i cant see well enough these days to make the cable.
I have had dreamboxes for years an have had no problems using jtag.
The only thing i can think of is do you use a wireless network? Don't know if its possible but i wonder if the connection was lost briefly if this could cause the problem it could be what happened to mine.
It would be good to find a common cause because i believe a number of people have had this problem.

zad
06-07-2007, 08:06 AM
The same thing happened to me when installing 08 but i didn't have iboot or memory card installed and the box is still dead.
I am waiting for jtag cable to become available for purchase because i cant see well enough these days to make the cable.
I have had dreamboxes for years an have had no problems using jtag.
The only thing i can think of is do you use a wireless network? Don't know if its possible but i wonder if the connection was lost briefly if this could cause the problem it could be what happened to mine.
It would be good to find a common cause because i believe a number of people have had this problem.

i think the files are copied over to the box before it starts installing the new firmware, so i dont think a dropout could have caused this (not 100% tho so dont take my word for it) but my box is hard wired and i use my wireless laptop to do all the work with it and never had a problem yet (fingers crossed)

retainedstatue
06-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Yes, I do use a wireless connection, and that is one of the causes I was thinking of as a possibility. I did have a mmc in the machine at the time (I was under the impression you had to to install iboot (the program itself has a setting to format it first)

goodolddad
06-07-2007, 06:17 PM
So i think that your problem may be down to your cir***stances rather than the image, what do you think?.

retainedstatue
08-07-2007, 01:54 PM
It`s possibly my cir***stances, possibly the image or possibly a combination of the 2.

Gone_Fishing
08-07-2007, 03:12 PM
I would say its something that just happens even if your really careful

I use wireless and things are all ok, touch wood they will stay that way

TNT