PDA

View Full Version : Backup problems

moggyminor1966
13-07-2007, 11:51 AM
I have only just got a GO 910 and tried to do a backup and it copied them from the device but when I tried to copy them to my PC it started OK but then said "HOME cannot create an install for this item. Required information is missing from the device".

When I swith the device on it just shows the picture of the GO 910 with a large red cross and it will not do anything else.

Please can anyone help as I am new to all this and don't know how to sort it out.

Russell1
13-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Replied to this on The Den :D

xazy
19-08-2007, 02:03 AM
I have exactly the same problem in my TT910. But I did not understand the meaning of Replied to this on The Den. Please explain. cheers. Xazy

rickt
19-08-2007, 03:38 AM
But I did not understand the meaning of Replied to this on The Den. Please explain. cheers. Xazy

I think he means in simple terms , an answer was given on another forum .My friend

Russell1
19-08-2007, 10:00 AM
I think he means in simple terms , an answer was given on another forum .My friend

Correct, but I'll do a copy & paste here of the rest of the posts in the thread -
My first reply :-

Connect it back up to Tomtom Home & see if you can upgrade the software.
Can you use windows explorer to see what is on the 910 ?
When did the problem start, was it brand new when you bought it & have you managed to use it before this problem ?
Let us know how you get on with it, there's a few more things we can do to try & sort it out.

Thanks Russ-I have tried to upgrade the software but this did not work. I am not sure how I check with windows explorer-please advise. Is this program already on my Windows XP system?

The unit was second hand but is only 3 months old and I haave already used it successfully-just wanted to do a backup and install any updated maps.

Yes windows explorer is a part of XP, alternatively you could click on 'My Computer' & it should show up as an extra or external drive. You should be able to copy all the files to your PC for a back up - I know it's not working at the moment, but if you make it any worse at least you can get back to this stage.
Don't know why it did not let you upgrade the software though using Tomtom Home.Could try looking on the Tomtom site for help, or I've uploaded a lot of the Tomtom files from a Go910 here :-

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=559ZUMI7
Its @ 145mb, with all the software & voices etc. but there are No maps or None of the LoquendoTTS folders but you can find all of those on the forum.
If you use the files from that link posted above, copy them all to your Go910 & let it overwrite any existing files & folders.
Then let me know how you've got on.

Reset your TomTom as shown here :
http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6965&Lid=1 and leave the TomTom turned OFF.

1. Connect your TomTom to your computer and then turn the TomTom ON.

2. Wait a few seconds for the TomTom to establish a connection with your computer and then enter the My Computer window on your computer and find the icon for your TomTom. Double click this icon to view the contents of your TomTom.

3. Select All of the items stored on your TomTom (Click "Edit" at the top of the screen and then "Select All") and then make a "Copy" of all of the items (Click "Edit" and then "Copy" while all of the items are still selected). You will not notice a change when you click "Copy" in the "Edit" menu.

4. Go to your Desktop and create a new folder (Right click a blank space, hover over "New" and then click "Folder" in the pop-up menu). Name your New Folder "TomTom Backup" for example (something that will be easy for you to remember). Double click the new folder to open it up and then click "Edit" at the top of the screen and then "Paste". The files from your TomTom will then begin to transfer into the new folder. Do not disconnect your TomTom from the computer while the files are transferring. Some of the files are very large and it may take several minutes for the data to transfer completely.

After the backup copy is finished, FORMAT your TomTom''s memory :

1. Enter the "My Computer" window on your computer and locate the icon for your TomTom.

2. Right click the TomTom''s icon and then click "Format"

3. When the format ****** window appears click "Start" inside of the format ****** window.

4. A warning message will appear; Click "OK" to begin formatting (it is safe to format as long as the complete backup has been created first).

After the TomTom is formatted, open the TomTom HOME program on your computer to install the update :

1. In the list of options on the left side of TomTom HOME click "Explore".

2. In the middle section of the screen, click the small square to the left of the "Application" that you want to install.

3. Click the big green "Install" button at the top of the middle section.

4. Wait for the update to finish (it will usually take a few seconds). When the update is complete, minimize the TomTom HOME screen and return to your Desktop.

Having successfully installed the update, it is now time to restore the necessary elements from your backup back onto the TomTom :

1. Open the backup folder that you created on your desktop and right click the folder for your map (Great Britain PLUS, for example) and then left click "Copy" to prepare the folder for copying (again, you will not notice a change when you click "copy".

2. Go into your My Computer window and locate the icon for your TomTom and open it up. Click "Edit" at the top and then "Paste" to begin the copied Map folder transferring over onto your TomTom. The map will take a few minutes to transfer, as it is quite large.

3. After the map is finished copying, repeat steps 1 and 2 to copy the "Voices" folder (so, select and copy the "Voices" folder from your backup this time instead of the map) from your backup back onto your TomTom. And after the "Voices" folder is transferred, repeat steps 1 and 2 to copy the "Zip" folder back onto the TomTom. After the Map, voices and zip folders are transferred back onto your TomTom, you are nearly finished.

Wait until your TomTom no longer displays the message "Please Wait" and then turn the TomTom OFF. Then removed the TomTom from the cradle and turn it back on. You are now ready to use your TomTom as usual.

Once it's all working make a new BACK UP !!!

Don't know if this fixed it or not for him as not had any more replies :confused::confused: