PDA

View Full Version : just moved my dish AAAGGGHHH

dogbob
14-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Hi guys
i live in liverpool and this afternoon i moved my 85cm dish to 16e digialb i am using humax 5100 dragon cam but my signal level is only 60% and the signal quality is a **** poor 20%, Before i buy a card for the new season could anybody tell me whats wrong, I've been out there for hours with no joy.
I've moved my dish from 19e/13e dual lnb.
Thanks
Bob:frown:

TonyO
14-07-2007, 07:47 PM
you might be looking at a deflected signal rather than the direct one, the mono block is not much use on 16E anyway.

dogbob
14-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the quick reply
what do you think would be best
Cheers
bob

grin2
14-07-2007, 08:09 PM
single lnb. and sometimes when you get the strongest signal you can ,you have to skew (twist) the lnb slightly. this increases the signal

satwyn
14-07-2007, 08:11 PM
if you have a good quality .3 lnb with no obstructions and the dish is properly alligned to 16e you might need more gain by upgrading your dish have you had a good signal with your setup in the past some receivers have problems with high s/r

dogbob
14-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the reply
I've had no problems with any other sat.
Would you recomend a single lnb? like an old sky one or something else
Thanks
Bob

TonyO
14-07-2007, 08:28 PM
any bog standard lnb will do with a 40mm collar.

echelon
14-07-2007, 09:41 PM
some sly ones will work fine

especially the slyware ones , or most of their quads like raven or thomson , just make sure they use the 40mm collar type holders , then remove the holder and use the lnb

satwyn
14-07-2007, 09:42 PM
what I mean is have you had good signal on 16e with your present setup before your present problem a good quality lnb will help I do not have a small dish to check the signal on 16e but ok on 1.8m dish

andem
14-07-2007, 10:13 PM
we get good signal on 16e with a mono block on an 80cm, i think you should try again, move up and down slightly and left and right, but very small movements, twist the lnb a little. You should tune to something from the ITV transponders, you should get at least 60% quality (not signal) on an 85cm dish.:) try and take a tv near your dish and then move slightly. First get up and down right so you are on the arc and then move left to right until you have best signal quality, then twist lnb for perfection.

dogbob
14-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks guys
I've done all of the above and still a bad signal.
I'll keep trying
Thanks for all your help
Bob

umgum
15-07-2007, 08:26 AM
are all the other sats fine???

echelon
15-07-2007, 08:55 AM
lets face it , you can use a monoblock on 16e if you really wanted to , just block off the offset lnb with silver foil and line up the dish on 16e using the main lnb ( the right hand one if looking from the front of the dish ) , and an 85cm dish is quite capable of pulling in this 16e sat so no worries there

alternatively use a single lnb , and a slyware lnb with 40mm collar will work absolutely fine , no worries. I have tested several sly lnb,s , single and quads , and they work ok on most sats , and I have 5 sly lnb,s in use all the time

so if we assume it is not the lnb , and not the dish , it makes me think that maybe the humax isnt setup correctly , or even up to the task , so I would double check that it can actually deal with these frequencies and symbol rates and try an fta channel with a good strong signal
( how are you deciding if it is lined up or not ? , sat meter ? , using the 5100 ? , recent channel list in the 5100 ? )

I have found using a technomate 1500 or similar is great for aligning dishes and lnb,s , providing you have a recent channel list installed , so if the 5100 isnt up to the job then maybe he should consider changing to a more modern receiver ? ( just because it works on 13e and 19e doesnt mean it will work on 16e )

tr8.
15-07-2007, 09:00 AM
this says that all you should need is 60cm for a good signal in your area so a bit of fine adjustment my be the prob or check the conections

tr8

Prontopro
15-07-2007, 09:01 AM
Poor atmospheric weather will also seriously affect your signal. If you have dark clouds in the direction of 16E that won't help.

dogbob
15-07-2007, 11:03 AM
thanks again for all your replys.
I have no trouble with any other sat, my humax is ok i have no problems tuning it in it's just 16e.
What if i got a t-rex and tuned into premier for the footy.
Thanks for all your help
bob:confused:

snaps
15-07-2007, 11:23 AM
some transponders on 16east are weaker than others. try a strong one 1st. check all your cable for kinks, bends etc. i have always sworn by using good quality equipment for any job. this way you will know its not equipment quality at fault. Here in the west of Ireland a 90cm/1m dish is reccomended for some transponders on 16east. I know people that struggle with the "premium" transponder on 16east here with an 80cm dish, especially in our lovely wet weather. I have a .2 titanium lnb, with a 1.1m dish. When i upgraded the lnb from a .3lnb, i noticed straight away a big difference in weaker transponders/satellites signal strength increasing. example, mbc transponder on 26east was very weak. since upgrading (And skewing lnb) its perfect even in wet weather now.

dogbob
15-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Thanks Snaps i'll try .1db lnb
cheers
bob

cueboy
16-07-2007, 09:42 AM
hi m8 im in liverpool and same problem with 16e pulls in very weak for some reason always has have 1 meter dish had many hours up and down the ladder lol good luck with yours m8 regards cueboy

retainedstatue
16-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Always been borderline with 16e here in southport too. Maybe it`s a merseyside thing !?? With a bit of fiddling I can get the digitalb transponders, but not exactly rock solid. I remember reading somewhere that transponders on this sat have very variable power.

icewater
16-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Hi dogbob,

i'm having the same problem at the min. just fitted a humax hdc1-2000 reciever. i have managed to find astra 28.2, 19.2 and hotbird 13.0 without anyreal problem. however signal strength and quality is better for 28.2 and gradually gets weaker as i move down.

when i scan for eutelsat W2 on 16.0e i am finding nothing when i have the transponders set to all. however when i pick transponder 11304.0 v i can get a signal of approx 45% with about 70 - 75% quality. and am finding roughly 20 channels, then when i pick another transponder the signal drops to 15 - 20% and quality reads 0%.

i am trying to get digitalb for the coming football season, so from reading above could it be my lnb (not sure what type/strength i have on) or could it be that my dish may have moved slightly or wasn't set up properly when installed.

any help guys would be well appreciated.

doh!!!! sorry guys just discovered that my humax doesn't have all the transponders, just found the digitalb sport channels.

cheers.

thanks

ian
16-07-2007, 12:11 PM
guys,i think your problems are more likely to be because of the symbol rate used.some recievers cant lock on very high or low symbol rates.you need to post a question to someone with a larger dish,lets say 1.2m and are using your reciever,to see if they still have your problems.ian.

Prontopro
16-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Hi dogbob,

i'm having the same problem at the min. just fitted a humax hdc1-2000 reciever. i have managed to find astra 28.2, 19.2 and hotbird 13.0 without anyreal problem. however signal strength and quality is better for 28.2 and gradually gets weaker as i move down.

when i scan for eutelsat W2 on 16.0e i am finding nothing when i have the transponders set to all. however when i pick transponder 11304.0 v i can get a signal of approx 45% with about 70 - 75% quality. and am finding roughly 20 channels, then when i pick another transponder the signal drops to 15 - 20% and quality reads 0%.

i am trying to get digitalb for the coming football season, so from reading above could it be my lnb (not sure what type/strength i have on) or could it be that my dish may have moved slightly or wasn't set up properly when installed.

any help guys would be well appreciated.

doh!!!! sorry guys just discovered that my humax doesn't have all the transponders, just found the digitalb sport channels.

cheers.

thanks

Assuming that you have no line of sight problems as you move your dish westwards then you should check your arc as it sounds more like your dish is incorrectly tracking it. 19.2 and 13 are big signals and you wouldn't see a drop off like your describing as you move your dish on the correct arc. Get the arc correct and 16E will drop in.

icewater
16-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Cheers prontopro. it seems my dish is off the arc somewhat, so a bit of adjusting needs to be done as i'm getting no signal at all the further west i go.

cascara
16-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Cheers prontopro. it seems my dish is off the arc somewhat, so a bit of adjusting needs to be done as i'm getting no signal at all the further west i go.

My guess is that your vertical axis is drooping. I suggest that you check that before you do any dish adjustments.