PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a TM9100, I dunno

Dreamlife
18-07-2007, 10:37 AM
At the moment I have a dreambox 500s, which at the moment is running fantastic with no probs but the odd freeze now and then. I'd like to try this TM9100 but the more I read about it the more i'm unsure. I keep hearing about dead boxes and this jtag thing which worrys me. Like with my dreambox, if it fails to boot I just connect it to the serial and in 5 mins it's back to normal. What are the chances of me buying this box and everything working ok like my dreambox? Is it harder than a dreambox to setup?

eme
18-07-2007, 10:51 AM
i think u will find its only the odd 9100 that goes **** up and thats mostly when people are trying some third party software, the same risk goes with the dreambox, i have a dreambox and that’s been fine butt a few people again have had to use jtag to sort the boot loader, i have the 9100 and i got one for a m8, both are running ur9 software and no major problems, the odd crash but that’s all and u can expect that at this early stage in software development, the 9100 software is coming on in leaps and bounds and i for one think the box is as good as the dreambox if not better and the price is very good. flashing is a breeze and most of the setting software except images work the same as dreambox. so all in all a dam good buy

madian2
18-07-2007, 11:26 AM
like you i was unsure about the tm9100 but i went and got one anyway to see wot the fuss was about?
yes it can be a ba*****d to get it working but there again so can the dreambox
i know i have one aswell so i can canpair the two the dreambox in my eyes is my baby:) but the tm9100 when it is running write is a good box most probs i see
with the tm9100 is the ppl using them [including me] they will only do as wot you tell them to do? anyway first week i had it was ready to put it on the floor and stamp on it but i did'nt [im glad to say] i think the dreambox is easyier tosetup at the moment as it is more stable as you know it has been out a lot longer so there is a lot more support out there for them but on the other hand
the dreambox paved the way for the tm9100 so software is already out there
just needs a fine tune up[alter it] so it will work in the tm9100 there is growing support for the tm9100
so i have now got mine runnin ok got a few bugs but im happy now and it is cheaper than a dreambox 7020 as it can do more or less the same ie mmc/pvr
but you wont find out until you get 1 there is even a new forum for the tm9100 but you will after google it .

go on take the plunge :D

like the dreambox either you like it or you dont?

hope this helps

madian2

echelon
18-07-2007, 11:54 AM
I am glad I bought one despite some of the bugs , and it gets better week by week as the bugs get fixed

and as stated it may be best to keep the original in the flash and run the emus from the mmc as sd cards are very cheap to buy nowadays

I have several images on my integral 1 gig sd card and can choose at bootup

I also have a 250 gig hard drive in it at the moment so it acts as a pvr , and tested my s*y card works in it too

despite having made several jtags I havent had to use one yet ( famous last words ) but its only similar to using a cas1 or cas1 plus interface , or some of the older phone unlockers , so that hasnt put me off and almost everyone with a boot failure has fixed their boxes with a jtag , and I built at least one of those so I know they work

I have a samsung 9500 , and a tm1500 for the daily grind , whilst I learn this tm9100

do I regret buying it ? = no

would I buy another ? = yes , and probably will for multiroom

do I think it will get better ? = yes it will

is it good value for money ? = yes it is , just look at the price of a cam + programmer !!!

does it help to know about pc,s and networking and routers etc ? = yes it does , as its a pc in a sat box

the scare stories didnt put me off then and dont now , as having owned one for 6 weeks I think its excellent at most things and will be brilliant when the ur and juliet and ds images get finalised a bit more

sonic1
18-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Just to convice you more I have had my TM9100 for a couple of weeks, now running UR9 with just the odd reboot happening, I have it wireless in the bedroom sharing my local card and it works 100% for that.
And those of you that have had a dreambox for many years remember well the lock ups and constantly having to give it the three finger salute.
I would say the TM9100 seems far more stable and the dreambox was in its early years;)

Gone_Fishing
18-07-2007, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't even think about it just buy one you won't be sorry :)

I'm using original 009 in flash and UR009, Juliet009 and DS on MMC both the UR and Juliet are stable for me

TNT

echelon
18-07-2007, 01:41 PM
I wouldn't even think about it just buy one you won't be sorry :)

I'm using original 009 in flash and UR009, Juliet009 and DS on MMC both the UR and Juliet are stable for me

TNT

I am now thinking of doing this as I have ur009beta1 in the flash at the moment and all the other images on sd card , including ur009beta1 and beta 2 :)

Gone_Fishing
18-07-2007, 01:59 PM
I am now thinking of doing this as I have ur009beta1 in the flash at the moment and all the other images on sd card , including ur009beta1 and beta 2 :)

It works well for me :)

The reason I did this was from when I tested some skins on my MMC and then had to remove them because they wouldn't
boot ended up removing the ones in the flash by mistake :rolleyes:

With the original in flash I can tell the difference plus not a bad idea to stay out the flash either

TNT

zad
18-07-2007, 02:35 PM
its the best box i have ever had even with its few bugs (at the moment)

well worth it!

madian2
18-07-2007, 03:39 PM
it have aready have a few tricks up it's sleeve [ell pee]

madian2

xanadu
18-07-2007, 06:16 PM
I must be the only one here that thinks the TM9100 is not worth buying unless you want constant lock ups and have to reboot the receiver all the time.
Not to mention that I have had to reformat the HDD every time a new image is released, and CI CAMS have not worked very well when recording.
Give it time and it may improve, but it's a big gamble.
I would not buy one if I knew what I do now.

echelon
18-07-2007, 06:24 PM
I dont get constant lockups

I dont have to keep rebooting it

I have used images on an sd card and only formatted it once

the hdd seems ok no matter which image I boot , although early images have various hdd recording problems

I havent tried cams yet as there hasnt been any need for me to use one

obviously some ppl have problems , but I dont mind the odd problems I have had

Gone_Fishing
18-07-2007, 06:41 PM
@xanadu

All those problems could be down to your HDD being incompatible with your receiver

Everyone who suffers reboots and all the other problems you list also have HDD problems aswell

I would disable core files for a start see if that helps as every time your box crashes it sticks a load of enigma files on your drive

I also don't expirience any of those problems in UR or Juliet

TNT

zad
18-07-2007, 06:56 PM
yip im with tnt and echelon here!
i have had no crashes at all using the latest images

Dreamlife
19-07-2007, 04:49 AM
Thanks for everyones replys on this. I'm still deciding at the moment, I may hold off a bit and buy one for the winter months. Like at the moment my dreambox is going really great and I get all channels. The saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it, keeps coming to mind.:)

A
19-07-2007, 08:13 AM
just sold mine off

goodolddad
19-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Hope you made a profit A.:D

A
19-07-2007, 08:48 AM
yes 5 euros:D:D

zad
19-07-2007, 09:47 AM
what were your reasons for selling a?

A
20-07-2007, 08:07 AM
reboots and no real firmware support and having a dreambox 500 and 7020 the 9100 seemed really inferior, yes great price, good looking box but thats all.
Each to his own choice I guess AND I dont have the patience m8:D:D

zad
20-07-2007, 08:19 AM
reboots and no real firmware support and having a dreambox 500 and 7020 the 9100 seemed really inferior, yes great price, good looking box but thats all.
Each to his own choice I guess AND I dont have the patience m8:D:D

well have to agree on that with you,

there does not seem much point in having one of these stb's if you have a dream 500 and a 7020!

just wish i was that rich lol!

nixus
20-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Wouldn't even try to compare with 7020, but with my old dm7000 it has some advantages as well:
Pluses compared to dm7000:
1. Very fast boot from cold start/full restart
2. Excellent tuner
3. RF-out exit to transfer TV signal to another tv set without occupying VCR output
4. 2 outputs for AC3 audio - spdif and ac3
5. separate power on/off switch on the back
6. No annoying LCD display
7. MMC card (SD, Memory stick, CF...) inserts from the front
And no one reboot since UR9 2 and original 009 in flash.
But there is a long way to go to make TM9100 as convinient to use as 7000 (i mean the lack of plugins and image quality primarly)

A
20-07-2007, 09:23 AM
NOT question of rich sold of some old ones and replaced

Gone_Fishing
20-07-2007, 01:39 PM
I think problems people experience are down to image/emu combinations some cause more problems than others

I was looking for a box when the DB7000 came out and they had far more problems in the beginning

Only problem I have is remembering which image I'm using :p

TNT

sonic1
20-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Spot on TNT, I am finding the 9100 far more stable than my 7000 when I first had it but on the other side I have just one image one emu and I am not buggering around with plugins, keys, skins and at every given opertunity like I was when I first had a 7000.
I guess new linux users are like I was a few years ago and just desperate to learn.
I would not get rid of my 7020 for a 9100 but I have to say it is worth every penny:D

goodolddad
20-07-2007, 06:20 PM
sonic1, you have hit the nail on the head.:rolleyes: When i purchased my first dreambox i was just like all the newbies to a linux box, i installed every plugin/new image/emu in fact anything that was posted in the forums :frown:oh what a mug.
Now i count to ten before i install any thing being posted by the instant linux box gurus that where begging for help a week earlier.:)

sonic1
20-07-2007, 06:39 PM
@goodolddad No point trying to tell any one that as we all only learn from our own mistakes. Downloaded UR9 beta2 and still not looked at it beta1 works fine at present, so if it ain't broke;)

goodolddad
20-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Correct, i tried the new beta and have gone back to the first beta.

xanadu
20-07-2007, 06:59 PM
so if it ain't broke;)

It's never been fixed yet! to be able to break it more than it already is.:D

A
20-07-2007, 07:02 PM
It's never been fixed yet! to be able to break it more than it already is.:D
exactly:D

goodolddad
20-07-2007, 07:04 PM
I bet you two were a bundle of laughs when the dreambox first hit the shelves.

goodolddad
20-07-2007, 07:04 PM
:d:d:d

A
20-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Lol:D:D

xanadu
20-07-2007, 07:40 PM

Just telling it, how it is.

No point telling people how great the box is, as it will be very disappointing when they find out the truth ! :eek:

When I buy something, I want to know about the bad points.:cool:

I can then decide if it's worth buying.:)

There were many good reviews on here, and no detailed bad ones at time of purchase, which is why I decided to get one.:rolleyes:

Everyone was saying how it was better than a Dreambox! NO WAY IS IT BETTER !

sonic1
20-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Just telling it, how it is.

No point telling people how great the box is, as it will be very disappointing when they find out the truth !

When I buy something, I want to know about the bad points.:cool:

I can then decide if it's worth buying.

There were many good reviews on here, and no detailed bad ones at time of purchase, which is why I decided to get one.

Everyone was saying how it was better than a Dreambox! NO WAY IS IT BETTER !

I am not saying it is better by any means but when you consider the cost compared to what you, I and many others paid for our first dreambox it is not a bad place to start to understand a linux box.
Will I get another? probably not.:p
Will I upgrade my dreambox? of course!!!!!;)
I do know where you are coming from xanadu:D

xanadu
20-07-2007, 08:08 PM
What people really mean, is that, it is good value for money compared to the price of a Dreambox.

I do not dispute that on price alone.

But..........and there always is a but !

You get what you pay for. :)

A
20-07-2007, 08:32 PM
There were many good reviews on here, and no detailed bad ones at time of purchase, which is why I decided to get one.:rolleyes:

Everyone was saying how it was better than a Dreambox!
Its called sales talk:D
The ART OF MARKETING I GUESS:D

xanadu
20-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Its called sales talk:D
The ART OF MARKETING I GUESS:D

Is everyone on commision here, hence the good reviews? :D :D

eme
21-07-2007, 11:53 AM
i have dreambox 7000- plus tech 9100, i am using the 9100, picture just as good, also got rf out, firmware is easy to update by sd card, keys can be entered into 9100 which they cannot in dreambox, software support very good, had two software resets otherwise stable, tuner is very good, power supply in much better than dreambox, decoding is the same as dreambox, internet key updating no problem, as for the people’s views there s no real firmware support and it’s not as good as dreambox in my view that is rubbish, the 9100 is much further on than the dreambox ever was. Oh and at lest it has a automatic hard drive fan as well. All in all a dam good buy for £99.00 in anyone’s books me thinks.:)

Gone_Fishing
21-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Is everyone on commision here, hence the good reviews? :D :D

No you just don't seem to be able to except the fact that your experience is not everybody's experience

If I had the problems you listed mine would have gone back as soon as it arrived and I would have told everyone to avoid it like the plague

Fact is I have no problems period running UR8/9 or Juliet in fact I don't recognize the box you describe

May be if you said what HDD your where using and what emus and images then people who don't own one would know when they are likely to get problems

TNT

xanadu
21-07-2007, 01:07 PM
I have tried many different HDD's. Currently using 300GB Maxtor.

Have tried all the images and all are the same. Juliet/UR8,UR9B1/B2

eme
21-07-2007, 02:09 PM
i have a 260 gig maxtor in and all is well running ur009beta2, no problems. are u sure your receiver says technomate 9100 as most don’t have your problems :D:D

dishdad
21-07-2007, 06:03 PM
i have dreambox 7000- plus tech 9100, i am using the 9100, picture just as good, also got rf out, firmware is easy to update by sd card, keys can be entered into 9100 which they cannot in dreambox, software support very good, had two software resets otherwise stable, tuner is very good, power supply in much better than dreambox, decoding is the same as dreambox, internet key updating no problem, as for the people’s views there s no real firmware support and it’s not as good as dreambox in my view that is rubbish, the 9100 is much further on than the dreambox ever was. Oh and at lest it has a automatic hard drive fan as well. All in all a dam good buy for £99.00 in anyone’s books me thinks.:)

Hello eme, do not have a 9100 but read every thread related to it, whatever, plus or minus, it certainly seems to be a 'good for the money' receiver and as I said in another thread, nice to see another receiver on comparative operating lines resulting in competative pricing.

Threads run basically as the Dreambox launch on initial config and related questions.

Think the Technomate has aleady proved its serious!

Tuner wise, the DB7000 is acknowledged as poor, whereas, I believe, the 7020 sees an improvement....Technomate receivers I have found have always had sensitive tuners installed.

Your comment '' keys can be entered into 9100 which they cannot in dreambox'', assume that overlooks that the plugin TuxBoxCommander can be used needing only the remote control to manually edit all key files....NO Internet connection needed ie: all D+, Cabo, Polsat, Biss, DCW etc etc,

available via Blue Button/Panel.

16133 16136 16135

Congrats to all those involved with the input on the 9100

xanadu
21-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Tuner wise, the DB7000 is acknowledged as poor, whereas, I believe, the 7020 sees an improvement

Some say the DM7000 tuner is poor, but I have not found anything the TM9100 will get, that the DM7000 does not,
and so even that feature has not given me a good enough reason to keep it.:rolleyes:

eme
21-07-2007, 07:40 PM
yep i had overlooked the plugin TuxBoxCommander . but hay we dont know everything, we live and learn. :D

dishdad
22-07-2007, 12:46 AM
yep i had overlooked the plugin TuxBoxCommander . but hay we dont know everything, we live and learn. :D

Agree, calculated that the 'learning curve' with the Dreambox has so far ac***ulated 5724 kilometros......some curve and still learning***!!!

These 9100 owners deserve the same.

Enjoy your weekend.

nixus
22-07-2007, 09:33 AM
I have 2 dm7000 working great, but i bought tm9100 and put one of my dreamboxes to the shelf. The reason is evident - i just missing the pioneer spirit of early dreambox days.
Yes dm's are almost perfect now, but this makes my life a bit boring; tm's give me a fresh breath.

eme
22-07-2007, 01:03 PM
thats the way nixus, it adds a bit of spice to life. hehe