PDA

View Full Version : Strange coax

mahler
01-08-2007, 03:50 PM
A friend asked me to fit an F plug to some coax he was given, and when I stripped it back found the outer screen and the inner insulation was covered in a very sticky substance, thought it was glue at first, and it was difficult to work with.

Any one know what this was and why is it there, I've used loads of different coax over the years but never seen anything like this.

Regards mahler

satwyn
01-08-2007, 04:11 PM
had the same thing with motor cable once sorry can't answer your question though

ekon
01-08-2007, 05:17 PM
I have come across that sticky cable too..and a "normal" f connector is a bit too loose a fit? Anyone know what its called?

mahler
01-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Thanks for your answers guys, and I've thought of one possibility that the sticky stuff is silicon to prevent long term ingression of water or moisture, which as we know can cause gradual deterioration of signal quality.

I could be wrong what do you think.

Regards mahler.

pilsner
01-08-2007, 07:20 PM
stolen from cable company ha ha ha thats got ya they dont only nick services now they take the cable as well:D.pilsner

Keano
01-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Yep can confirm the cable you have is used for Cable services and its bloody awful stuff.
Takes ages to wash off, you'll need the F connectors to fit it, I have some here somewhere and they are larger then normal F connectors and they are not twist fit you need crimping tool to fit them.

You're best bet is down to m-a-p-l-i-n-s and try the F connectors for CT100/CT125 these are slighter bigger.

PLANTPOT
06-08-2007, 06:01 PM
My current setup is using this type of cable and as far as I know it was not specifically designed for cable use.
Mine is a twin cable and has the 4 motor wires attached to it.
The glue is very sticky but easy to clean off with a bit of white spirit,and standard f connectors are a perfect fit,so it seems different versions of this cable are available.-PP

satwyn
06-08-2007, 06:52 PM
used wd40 on mine