PDA

View Full Version : HDTV CAMS - what do they do?

GazC
05-08-2007, 09:39 AM
I have seen a couple of these advertised, mainly for Viaccess MPEG 4 and also one for Cyfra+ HD but what do these CAM's actually do? They are official CAMS (VIA, Aston etc) for official cards but are they the only way to watch HDTV from the providers in question?

Do they mean you don't need a HD receiver (can't see that myself)?

Or are they just another layer of cost that means you need a CAM upgrade if you want to watch HDTV plus the cost of your HD receiver?

Any help much appreciated?

GazC

tracker
05-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Viaccess CAM MPEG-4

• PCMCIA Style Case to accept Smart Card for decoding subscription channels
• Transcode MPEG4 transmission into MPEG2 allowing a MPEG2 receiver to decode MPEG4 transmission without having to change your receiver.
• Facilitates decryption of MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 broadcasts conditional access for Viaccess encrypted channels
• Fits into any standard DVB (Digital Video Broadcast) CI (Common Interface) slot on a Set-Top Box
• Works on satellite or terrestrial transmissions
• Future proofing your future common interfacing requirements

GazC
05-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Cheers Tracker m8 - so it allows you to watch using your mpeg2 capable SD receiver to watch the mpeg4 stuff (albeit 'transcoded into mpeg2 - non HD)?

Am I right in assuming say if you have a HD encrypted transmission that as long as you have a HD receiver (+ card sub of course) and basic CAM (that is non mpeg4 etc) this would do the trick?

tracker
05-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Q1 : seems so from the announcements, yes - but have not tested these Mpeg4 to Mpeg2 cams.
Q2 : don't quite understand ?

GazC
05-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Cheers again Tracker - what I meant was say I wanted to see the CYFRA+ HD channels - if I used an official card, my HD receiver do I simply need a normal Seca/Astoncrypt CAM (as opposed to one of HDTV advertised CAMS)?

tracker
05-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Think you need a MPEG4 cam for Cyfra+ HD as you mentioned in your first post or a dedicated HD receiver with a card slot for Cyfra+ HD cards (... if there is one out there ...). But then again i may be wrong - more opinions appreciated.

tracker
05-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Seems like Cyfra+ HD dedicated receiver is Phillips DSR 6201 HD.

morfsta
16-08-2007, 05:21 PM
I can see Cyfra+ HD channels on my Humax using cs, so not sure if there is any difference between the version of encryption used for them.

Also, one thing to bare in mind with these Mpeg4 Cams is that a lot of mpeg 4 channels currently utilise dvb-s2, which most receivers without mpeg 4 can't get anyway...

Tony Baker
16-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Sounds as though this new Cam would be perfect for anyone who still owns a "Quali-TV" HD Sat Rx which is only able to unlock Mpeg:2 Chns. So having this new cam for Mpeg:4 would make the "Quali-TV " Sat box a very versatile Rx! Rgds, TB.

satwyn
19-08-2007, 05:18 PM
will these cams let you view free to air mpeg4 such as bbc hd

AlCappuccino
21-08-2007, 09:21 AM
You dont need any cam to view BBC HD which is FTA you only need a HD sat receiver ans a HDReady and/or Full HD TV set.

As regards Quali TV 1080 IRCI receivers unfortunately there will be no cam able to convert Mpeg2 in Mpeg4 (H264)

Tony Baker
21-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Al, check out post No:2 because from what Tracker seems to be saying there does now seem to be a new Cam which will convert? TB

satwyn
21-08-2007, 09:58 AM
I belive there is a cam on the market that converts mpeg 4 to mpeg 2 therefore allowing you to view mpeg4 transmissions with an mpeg2 receiver you should therefore be able to view bbc HD with mpeg2 receivers not in HD though

munted101
21-08-2007, 11:50 AM
The CAM should work with terrestial channels aswell, such as BBC HD and ITV HD ;)

morfsta
21-08-2007, 12:51 PM
AFAIK there is no terrestrial HD offerings at the moment.

I think the trial in Crystal Palace is over.

It is currently a moot point as to whether there will ever be a HD terrestrial service, depends upon the use of the analogue frequencies, currently being reviewed by Ofcom.

renibacterium
20-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Would a Cam that converts mpeg4 HD to mpeg2 (HD? or more probably SD) decode 4.2.2 HD transmissions in a Quali-tv receiver?

Tony Baker
20-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Reni,

If you check then I'm pretty sure that you'll find that the "Quali-TV" STB which is Mpeg:2 only. Was one of the few HD sat boxes the actually decoded 4.2.2 Transmissions anyway!

GazC
20-06-2008, 04:09 PM
It does do mpeg2 HD 4:2:2 feeds but I guess the question being posed here is whether the qualitv + a CAM converting mpeg4 to mpeg2 could then in turn decode mpeg4 HD 4:2:2 feeds -to which I don't know the answer?

renibacterium
20-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Reni,

If you check then I'm pretty sure that you'll find that the "Quali-TV" STB which is Mpeg:2 only. Was one of the few HD sat boxes the actually decoded 4.2.2 Transmissions anyway!

Yes I have one and yes it does decode 4.2.2 mpeg2 very well

GazC "It does do mpeg2 HD 4:2:2 feeds but I guess the question being posed here is whether the qualitv + a CAM converting mpeg4 to mpeg2 could then in turn decode mpeg4 HD 4:2:2 feeds -to which I don't know the answer?"

Exactly ! If it does it will give a new lease of life to the Quali-tv and give access to all those HD Mpeg4 4.2.2 feeds.