PDA

View Full Version : is there a more useless satellite installer than me out there.....you decide!

frampton
08-09-2007, 12:20 PM
hi,

finally after 6 years and many many attempts, have got my satellite dish to pick up cabo to astra!!!!

picking up 50/52 on cabo......35/55 on digi(thor) and 60/70 on astra....are these acceptable in the south west with a humax/1m dish and .3 lnb...

please say they are....cos if i make another alteration an f$%k the whole thing up again :(

....i can finally see that mysterious satellite at 30 degrees west!

...having read all the stickys, i had even considered putting up three dishes and a diseq block to switch amongst them...

should i hang my head in shame that it has taken so long...or be pleased?

frampton

ps i did make it hard for myself by sticking the dish in a bleeding akward position to tinker with in the first place....doh!!

echelon
08-09-2007, 12:37 PM
cant answer for humax but the figures seem low for a 1m dish

plenty of dish help in the dish forum here

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=58680

obviously you need a good line of sight and must track the arc correctly to get the sats properly

I have just fitted a new motor and lnb to my system and realigned the whole thing so have a look at the posts in that forum

I will move this thread into there too

ps: my typical tm1500 / triax v1.1m dish / Inverto Twin 0.2 Universal LNB , level and quality figures for those are:-

28e - astra 2 - 73/93

19e - astra 1 - 73/93

0.8w + 1w - thor - digi 54/64 - bbc world 70/83

30w - hispasat - 72/90

so my typical figures are about 70 strength and 85 sig quality

scallywag
08-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Dont hang your head in shame.It is great credit you are having ago.
But as Echelon has said I think you'll need to get the ladders out because his figures are about what I am getting in the North with a 1m dish. Shortish cable run give or take a percent or so.

frampton
08-09-2007, 02:06 PM
i really appreciate those figures....it gives me more of an indication of what is possible. funnily enough i lent my father a televes signal indicator a fair while back, and have been checking the signals by running up and down the ladder.

i have replaced all connectors, and used one run to the motor from the receiver, and gained a few points..

final point...the dish is quite old (7 years) and the lnb i have just checked is an mti 0.6!!

any idea what gains i could make with newer gear, or is it likely to be miniscule

thanks again

echelon
08-09-2007, 02:41 PM
old dishes are no problem at all , a dish is just a dish , and the bigger the better

as for the lnb , I would recommend a 0.2 or 0.3 lnb as they are much better nowadays

and the tuners in modern receivers can be better so dont assume yours is wrong unless a humax user replies

so might be worth getting a better lnb and checking again , also worth checking you are on the arc with the fta channels given in the sticky thread up top

ps:- checked 0.2 lnb on flea bay and around £8 to £19 delivered , single inverto is about £8 delivered , mti supreme 0.2 £8.50 delivered

frampton
09-09-2007, 10:50 AM
cheers Echelon,

been looking at the smart titanium 0.2 lnb.....i know these lnbs can vary in quality when matched with various dishs, do you have any specific makes that are more likely to be better lnbs.

cheers

echelon
09-09-2007, 01:17 PM
in the main I dont think there is much difference between any of them , providing you just want the main channels on the main satellites

the differences are apparent when checking for lower strength or more obscure channels

I used to use an invacom 0.3db lnb before the inverto , and if you look in the stickies you will see a fixed dish solution that uses typical sly single and quad lnb,s which are perfectly adequate for the main sats

so the sharp , inverto , mti , humax , and myriad other makes should be ok for you at around 0.2 or 0.3 db , and I am well happy with the ones I use but I do not have access to all the lnb,s for comparison purposes , like you I buy the odd one and try it

what I can say is that having just fitted the 0.2 inverto it seems ok on all the sats I checked but 7 west is difficult without a bigger dish so maybe on something like that it may matter , or for feeds etc

I would say you will be ok with the smart , or inverto , or sharp , or invacom

your choice , but at least they are relatively cheap nowadays

drahcirk
22-09-2007, 06:52 PM
ur certainly far from useless took 2years to sort out what iwas doing, couldnt do what ech has done though,had a mono block b 4 , that was easy put it on 16degrees twiddle to get 13/19, got a twin lnb ,tried a few times ,looked at a few tuts ,still cant work bl..dy thing out, dam aggravating hobby at times ,good luck,.