PDA

View Full Version : 500S kaput

Lawsy
08-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Hi,

i havbe troubkle with my db500 for the last year. The voltage has been droppimg from the lnb socket at the back . It has been intermittent , but this week something new.

Started with rebooting for no reason. It is connected to a dual LNB on a normal sky sat. Necause of its probs it ios not my proimary box.

The new prob was although i got 93% SNR and 93 % AGC the BER was up at between 135 to 1000 . The second box downstairs on the same set up was perfect so the LNB was ok. I remade all the ends end switched places on the LNB and still the same prob.

The rebooting was continuing and it was hard even to boot up the box. As soon as it initialized the cam it would restart (just before it looks for the signal).

As soon as you remove the sat cable it would start and you could connect the dish.

I decided to test it on motorised dish to see if a seperate feed was different. As soon as i plugged that one in it just rebooted. The motorised set up would call upon the power supply which seems to send the box crazy.

Long story, but here is the finish :-

Very fed up with it now. Has anyone else had this problem. I have tested the board as noted in some posts and that seems to be ok with 14v ping up.

Is there anyone willing to have a look at this for me (willing to Pay).

Or does anyone want to take it off my hands and any contribution will be for a new unit.

I like the dreambox, i have a relook as well, and the db knocks spots of it in regards to speed etc.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Lawsy

Keano
09-09-2007, 01:52 PM
m8 I'll be in touch see if we can't sort it out 4 you.

Lawsy
13-09-2007, 11:15 AM
New development. Gone from Kaput to totally fooked. I reflashed it with new geimini and same problem. Flashed it new PLI image and it must have crashed through the flashing process. Now wont even boot.

Who wants a dead Dreambox to play with. You pay postage and you can have it. All i ask is if you get it working that you give me an explanation of what went wrong, we all need closure when we feel bereavement.

Lawsy.

Only question now as it is only a secondary box that is hardly used , what to get, either a mutant 200s with enigma or new DB500.

Keano
13-09-2007, 12:05 PM
m8 I'll speak to you later.

As for another box mutant's are OK and enigma images are coming out for it every week now.

pipino
17-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Hi,

i havbe troubkle with my db500 for the last year. The voltage has been droppimg from the lnb socket at the back . It has been intermittent , but this week something new.

Started with rebooting for no reason. It is connected to a dual LNB on a normal sky sat. Necause of its probs it ios not my proimary box.

The new prob was although i got 93% SNR and 93 % AGC the BER was up at between 135 to 1000 . The second box downstairs on the same set up was perfect so the LNB was ok. I remade all the ends end switched places on the LNB and still the same prob.

The rebooting was continuing and it was hard even to boot up the box. As soon as it initialized the cam it would restart (just before it looks for the signal).

As soon as you remove the sat cable it would start and you could connect the dish.

I decided to test it on motorised dish to see if a seperate feed was different. As soon as i plugged that one in it just rebooted. The motorised set up would call upon the power supply which seems to send the box crazy.

Long story, but here is the finish :-

Very fed up with it now. Has anyone else had this problem. I have tested the board as noted in some posts and that seems to be ok with 14v ping up.

Is there anyone willing to have a look at this for me (willing to Pay).

Or does anyone want to take it off my hands and any contribution will be for a new unit.

I like the dreambox, i have a relook as well, and the db knocks spots of it in regards to speed etc.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Lawsy

change the power supply m8 ;) or swap all the capacitors inside it thats the problem...cheers

Lawsy
17-09-2007, 08:15 PM
I have been looking at my PSU. It is rated at 12v 2 amp. I thought the dreambox PSU were 1 amp. Can anyone verfify this ?

Also if i were to try a new psu what ratings would you suggest.

Lawsy

pipino
17-09-2007, 11:56 PM
I have been looking at my PSU. It is rated at 12v 2 amp. I thought the dreambox PSU were 1 amp. Can anyone verfify this ?

Also if i were to try a new psu what ratings would you suggest.

Lawsy

yes the PSU has 12v 2Amp now for motor driving before was 1amp with the first units ,but 12v 2amp when basic testing means nothing ,,is to do with filtring (thats what most capacitors do) the downside of those PSUs that they are a real pile of shiyt if you have it pluged 24/7 i would give no more then a year or so ,the capacitors are so bad that they pup internaly,so exchange them for better one and put more votage on the new ones ,,ex:if you see 10V 470uf increase the voltage to 16v or 25v because if the voltage is to just the capacitor will overheat = electrolitic liquid will dryout= problems ,and beleive me i´m talking with experience on the stuff the most anoying thing in all this that dream multimedia couldnt bother to make better quality PSU despite the very high price they sell them , and guess what they are identical to the copies version ..very strange dont you think:rolleyes:...best regards

Lawsy
20-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Pipino,

should have listened to you man.

From beginning. I flahed the pli image via update and not dream up. Done some digging on the net and found out that was a wrong move. This was the reason for the total melt down. Invested in a null modem cable. Reflashed with gemini and my beautiful baby came back to life. Updated with my backed up image and now we have a box in the same broken condition but with a working image that fits me like a glove.

I have in my possesion a DB500C so i tried its power supply on my box. Guess what , all back to normal. No carshes, full signal, BER 0. Fantatstic.

But due to my impatience i have already ordered and paid for a Mutant 200s.

So now i have a working db again but need to source a new power supply.

Any suggestions or links.

Not sure what to do :-

Give the mutant a go and sell the DB with the provise that the buyer needs to source a PSU

or

Stick with what i have got and sell the mutant.

The mutant is a US one. Although i presume i can connect via the RCA outputs.

So need opinion on what to do and where to find a PSU.

Cheers

Lawsy

pipino
23-09-2007, 02:03 AM
i would repair the PSU of the DB500S witch it very easy (using a hammer and a flat screw driver carfuly opening up the ****y PSU),and keep both :D one day you may find it usefull..if not flybayit.regards:)

Lawsy
24-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Hi,

could someone take the time to read the power spec below.

I am sure it is ok but would like someone more qualified to agree before i fry my dreambox.

- AC Input Voltage: 100~240 Vac
- AC Input Frequency: 50~60 Hz
- AC Input Current: 1.6A RMS Max.
- DC Output Voltage: 12 Vdc
- DC Output Current: 5A MAX.
- Output power: 60W MAX.
- No. of Outputs: Single O/P
- Load Regulation: +/-5%
- Min. O/P Current: 0 Amp
- Operation Temperature: 0-40°C
- Protection: Short, Over Voltage, Over Current
- MTBF: 35,000 Hours
- Hold Up Time: 10 mS
- Safety: cUL, TUV-PS/GS, CB, CE, PSE
- Weight: 330 grams
- Dimension: 115(L)x49.3 (W)x30(H)mm

The Universal Kit comprises of the following four ends:

12mm x 4.75mm x 1.7mm Tip
12mm x 5.5mm x 2.1mm Tip
12mm x 5.5mm x 2.5mm Tip
11mm x 3.5mm x 1.3mm Tip

Cheers

Lawsy

Lawsy
09-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Appreciate a reply on this as i want to now buy the power supply.

Any help appreciated.

Lawsy

pipino
27-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Appreciate a reply on this as i want to now buy the power supply.

Any help appreciated.

Lawsy

simple m8,look for 12V -2amp PSU make sure the jack connector fits and the PSU looks better quality ..thats all ;)