PDA

View Full Version : RGB vs HDMI?

ictc
09-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Can some one help sort this out for me.
What is the difference in picture quality between RGB and HDMI quality? I know HDMI carries an audio.

I know the difference between RGB and Composite.

The reason I am asking is I have an ATI HD2600 graphics card that has RGB, S video, Digital and HDMI but my 24" Dell flat screen has i/p's for VGA, Digital, S video, Digital and RGB (no HDMI) and runs at 1920x1200.

Thanks.

Gone_Fishing
09-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Ones digital and ones analogue

If your talking RGB as in the same format carried by scart then it cant carry Hi Res formats which makes having your screen and card pointless

On your monitor by digital do you mean DVI because if you do then you can go from HDMI to DVI which would give you the best performance IMHO and in HD if you have any

Edit : If you have DVI on your card aswell then use DVI to DVI

TNT

Hixxy
10-09-2007, 03:13 PM
I think ICTC is referring to RGB as component, if this is the case then there isn't an awful lot of defference between it and the dvi/hdmi signal. Even tho HDMI supports sound, you may find the the graphics card does not output audio on the hdmi. Given the choice I'd opt for either dvi or hdmi.

Gone_Fishing
10-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Yes thats why I asked as component can carry hi resolutions :)

TNT

pege63
10-09-2007, 06:26 PM
composite video:
även kallat FBAS eller CVBS, där färg och svartvitt samsas på samma koppartrådspar. Ger den sämsta bilden, klarar ej HD-upplösning.

Ett snäpp bättre är S-video:
även kallat Y/C eller S-VHS. Där har färg och svartvitt var sina koppartrådspar. Klarar ej HD-upplösning.

Riktigt bra blir det med 3 koppartrådspar, en för vardera rött, grönt och blått. Kallas RGB-anslutning. Kan i princip hantera HD-upplösning, men gör det vanligen inte.

En SCART-anslutning kan överföra composite och antingen RGB eller S-video, ibland omställbart. Klarar ej HD-upplösning.

Ännu bättre än RGB är komponentvideo:
även kallat Y-Pb-Pr, Y-Cb-Cr, YCC, Y B-Y R-Y eller YUV. Den kan normalt även hantera HD-upplösning.

VGA eller Dsub-15, överför en variant av RGB-signaler (benämnd RGBHV) för anslutning av en dator. Klarar HD-upplösning.