PDA

View Full Version : how to improve signal?

enes
21-10-2007, 06:37 PM
I have a 120 cm dish with a motor and I have problems with the 7W nilesat signal. I'd like to improve the signal with as low cost as possible. Can anyone tell me what would be the best solution? Should I just change the LNB or I need to change the whole dish for a bigger one?

Thanks,

Enes

TheBadger
21-10-2007, 06:50 PM
;) You answered your own question!

satwyn
21-10-2007, 07:02 PM
yes a mutch bigger one

enes
22-10-2007, 08:00 AM
so changing just lnb wouldn't solve the problem?

zad
22-10-2007, 08:11 AM
if its a lower noise figure it may give you a better signal however a larger dish would do more

enes
22-10-2007, 03:42 PM
I have a 0.6 so I think if I buy 0.2 would be some improvement?

zad
22-10-2007, 04:13 PM
should do, its always hard to tell tho, its one of those try and see type things

skunk
22-10-2007, 04:13 PM
You need a bigger dish changing from a 0.6 to a 0.2 won't make any difference

Keano
23-10-2007, 07:28 AM
Not true, you be amazed what a different LNBF can do.

@ enes might be a idea to tell us what dish you have.

If you have a CM 120cm dish and are not using the matched feedhorn with a C120 then you need your backside kicking:).

I have a 110cm Televes dish and have tried 3 different LNBF with it, the winner was the sharp 0.2 followed by the invacom 0.3 and then the GBsat.

The difference was getting 5.0e (viasat) and not getting it also was able to pick up 7.0w ( V beams ) with the 110cm dish at night.

On my gibertini 150cm dish the sharp performed well but not as good as the gibertini feedhorn and invacom C120.

Now on my CM 240cm dish there is only one winner and thats the CM feedhorn with the invacom C120 single.
I waiting for the C120 quad to arrive so I can try that.

So there you have it, get a couple of LNBF to try and you will see a difference between them all, might be only a few % but that few % could be the difference between pictures and a black screen.

tr8.
23-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Have to say have played over 20years with various lnb, feedhorns,polarisers,etc and the bottom line i can say is if the signal is weak and the dish is properly aligned with a reciever that is good on weak signal, to change the lnb is pointless the only answer is BIGGER dish.

Keano
24-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Have to say have played over 20years with various lnb, feedhorns,polarisers,etc and the bottom line i can say is if the signal is weak and the dish is properly aligned with a reciever that is good on weak signal, to change the lnb is pointless the only answer is BIGGER dish.

Not true, if the guy has a slight signal then by changing to a better LNBF then his current 0.6LNBF then he may get the extra 1% or 2% that he needs.

Like I've already said I've done it myself here so it does work.

This morning I put 0.3 invacom LNBF single on my 2.4mtr dish went to 11996H and had zero % not a thing nothing, so swapped invacom LNBF with matched feedhorn and c120 single invacom and now have 23% and currently watching that other team in Manchester play Brum.

I've also done this on 5.0e with Viasat and 1.5 dish, swapped invacom 0.3 to the sharp 0.2 and had a 8-9% improvement.

ouagadougou
24-10-2007, 01:46 PM
I have a 0.6 so I think if I buy 0.2 would be some improvement?

If you do the maths then changing from

0.6dB NF or 43 Kelvin Noise Temp
to
0.2dB NF or 14 Kelvin Noise Temp

then for a signal of the same bandwidth say 10MHz you will get a sensitivity improvement of 4.8dB which is a hell of an improvement and almost equal to doubling the dish diameter which gives 6dB more. The feedhorn used also makes a big difference as all of us who have tried various LNB/Feed/Dish combinations know. I have done factory verification testing for this many times and the maths and the practice are accurate if the specifications are correct.

However our problem with TV LNB's is that the quoted 0.6dB or 0.2dB specifications are not accurate and are therefore misleading. If you take 10 LNB from the same manufacturer and batch then they will all be different.

Experimenting is the only way to know for sure what is the best combination but it can get expensive with many different LNB/Feed combinations possible.

bbeef
24-10-2007, 03:31 PM
just give the LNB a twist it gave me 10% extra ;-)

satwyn
24-10-2007, 05:18 PM
I advice to give it a stroke as well can work wonders

Ronturner
24-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Nice to know that their is a united supporter that admits that there is another team in Manchester.

I have a 1.2 metre dish which is pressed steel ( I bought it second hand 10 years ago) I live in the South of England (bad news for a BLUES supporter) and would love to get Showtime (Nilesat - Horizontal). I have an IRTE feedhorn and a C120 flanged LNB. I wonder if a new feedhorn and LNB would make a significant difference. At present I usually get the vertical channels without a problem especially at night.

I don't think a bigger dish is an option as I am happily married (at the moment!!)

Of course it's the 3.00pm kick offs most of us are after and it it seems to me that Showtime offer the best choice.

Keano
24-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Nice to know that their is a united supporter that admits that there is another team in Manchester.

I have a 1.2 metre dish which is pressed steel ( I bought it second hand 10 years ago) I live in the South of England (bad news for a BLUES supporter) and would love to get Showtime (Nilesat - Horizontal). I have an IRTE feedhorn and a C120 flanged LNB. I wonder if a new feedhorn and LNB would make a significant difference. At present I usually get the vertical channels without a problem especially at night.

I don't think a bigger dish is an option as I am happily married (at the moment!!)

Of course it's the 3.00pm kick offs most of us are after and it it seems to me that Showtime offer the best choice.

M8 how far south are you, I know a couple of guys who get the sports on 11996H with a 1.2mtr dish.

Guy I know on another board gets sports with a CM 120cm and matched feedhorn in South Wales, only times it goes is in heavy rain.

It could be that the dish you have is not performing.

Do you know what make it is ?

I am also thinking if you are using a IRTE feedhorn then that feedhorn is designed for a IRTE dish and not yours, unless your dish is a IRTE.

The bottom line is any dish over 120cm then you really have to use a matched feedhorn and c120.

Its no point the LNB only seeing 100/110cm of the dish or more than 120cm and picking up noise.

Can you post a pic of your setup ?

Cheers

Keano
24-10-2007, 07:23 PM
I advice to give it a stroke as well can work wonders

You on about the wife ?

If so i tried that but got a slap and told not no go there until dish goes:D

Krikkitt
24-10-2007, 07:24 PM
@ Keano - have you tried the CM F/H on the 1.5 against the Gibbi F/H ?
I chose the CM F/H for my 1.2 Gibbi as it just looked much better manufactured. Be interested to know

Rgds

K.:)

Keano
24-10-2007, 07:34 PM
@ Keano - have you tried the CM F/H on the 1.5 against the Gibbi F/H ?
I chose the CM F/H for my 1.2 Gibbi as it just looked much better manufactured. Be interested to know

Rgds

M8 before i got the 2.4 i did use and try the cm feedhorn on the 1.5 gibertini and got good results, it was not far of the matched gib feedhorn.

What I have seen is that invacom do a feedhorn that is adjustable, F/D 0.32 - 0.43.
The only problem with cm feedhorns is that they have a grove that sits in to the holder so you cant adjust it.

Krikkitt
24-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Yes mate, was going to file those off but didn't get much difference playing with the focal length in any case.

Isn't that Invacom F/H for prime focus dishes anyway ???

Keano
24-10-2007, 08:04 PM
yeah those F/H do say for prime focus dishes but they also say can be used with the invacom c120.

I might get one next month just to try it and see what happens.

Krikkitt
24-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Got one @ home, might stick it on the Gibbi and Inverto this W/E for a chuckle.

ouagadougou
24-10-2007, 09:17 PM
yeah those F/H do say for prime focus dishes but they also say can be used with the invacom c120.

I might get one next month just to try it and see what happens.

It probably wont work well as its designed for lower F/D than your CM2.4.

The scalar rings are adjustable with the Invacom feedhorn and I used one on my 2m dish with good results but cant see it working as well as your Dual Mode feed on the CM2.4

Captain Jack
19-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Hm I have a 1.2m Gibby dish with a 0.6db MTI "BlueLine" LNB. It works quite well and I think I am getting pretty much the best signal. Tried a 0.3db Invacom last year and was quite disappointed with the results. Would it be worth trying a Gibby feedhorn + C120 LNB?

Well, it will look better in any case :)

Keano
19-11-2007, 06:34 PM
m8 i have to say i am 95% certain you will see a improvement with the gibby feedhorn and a c120.

I saw a improvement when i got the gibby feedhorn and invacom c120 on my 1.5 gibby dish and i tried about 5 different LNBF's.
The only one which came near was the sharp, thats now on my 110cm dish.

krouzer
04-12-2007, 01:26 AM
I'm in Scotland dunfermline i have chanel master 1.8m dish and i can only watch nile sat after 8pm and not all the chanels ether and i have invacom lnb with feed horn and my question is, is ther a beter lnb i can use or is there something eles i can do to improove the signal?????
krouzer:confused:

AndyX
04-12-2007, 09:35 PM
I'm in Scotland dunfermline i have chanel master 1.8m dish and i can only watch nile sat after 8pm and not all the chanels ether and i have invacom lnb with feed horn and my question is, is ther a beter lnb i can use or is there something eles i can do to improove the signal?????
krouzer:confused:

Yep, Stirling Scotland, its the same on my Fibo 1.2 with some vertical transponders only around 9.00pm. Not much to be done except get a bigger dish or wait for a more powerful satellite with the right footprint

Detlef
04-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Have I missed something? We don't know where enes lives.

As said, the wide beam barely reaches the UK and the middle east beam doesn't even reach Italy.