PDA

View Full Version : Humax on a network

JimM
11-11-2007, 10:45 AM
Hi guys

Is it possible to connect the serial input of the 5400 direct to a router and update keys etc via another PC on the network. Would save me the hassle of having to hook up my laptop to the 5400 everytine I wanted to update

Thanks

Jim

voith driver
11-11-2007, 01:41 PM
hi jim,
well i do not know about that, but if you are going to have a line to the 5400 anyway, why not just leave it connected to the computer in question, i can see a couple of objections there, but if your plans are to leave a fixed line of some sort connected to the 5400 anyway ----?

all the best
voith

JimM
11-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Hi Voith

Thanks for the suggestion, my issue is that the Humax is downstairs and right next to the router, PC is upstairs with a cat5 run down to the router. If I could get the Humax to work off the router I could update either from the PC or from the laptop wirelessly.

At present the laptop spends it's life next to the TV etc it's sole puprose being to update keys etc. Not a huge problem just looks a bit ugly and my 4 year old keeps playing with it !

Cheers

Jim

gbmitie
11-11-2007, 03:12 PM
you can make a very long null modem cable out of telephone cable or alram cable up to 30 metres and keep that connected. This is ok if you have the facility to hide the cable.

gbmitie

JimM
11-11-2007, 04:36 PM
you can make a very long null modem cable out of telephone cable or alram cable up to 30 metres and keep that connected. This is ok if you have the facility to hide the cable.

That's what I was using before I got the laptop, mrs wasn't too happy with the fact that I just slinged the cable out of the upstairs window and dangled it down to the front room though. Not being able to shut the windows made the house bloody chilly too :)