PDA

View Full Version : upscaling receivers

doct140
19-11-2007, 09:52 PM
im thinking od buying a set top box freeview with hdmi , found the goodmans and bush .cheap . they have upscaling capabilities but do they upscale signals from db conected via scart , any suggestion or solution thnks

peggle
20-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Upscaling will only work over HDMI or Component.

doct140
20-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Upscaling will only work over HDMI or Component.

i want to conect db or cable box via scart input to the receiver and get it upscaled tru the hdmi is that possible and is it worth a try ?

peggle
20-11-2007, 11:08 PM
No.

I suspect the improvement seen by using an upscaling player is more to do with keeping the signal in the digital domain rather than increasing the resolution.

After all the TV itself upscales the picture to fill the whole screen.

doct140
20-11-2007, 11:57 PM
i c what u mean , and u r right
i have a db and a cable box conected via vid and scart to lcd tv 42 inch the picture on db is terrible strings all over and shadows depending on channel and is worst on the cable box conected with the scart sometimes it looks like a badly tuned analog tv signal . i have another pace hd tv receiver when i put a sd channel via hdmi it gets a good picture .and heard that some hd upscalers can sharpen the inputs and turn them digital (hdmi) and better pic . i think i was wrong then

Tony Baker
21-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Check out the latest release from Humax the ICord-5000 this is just about the most advanced SD/HD PVR Sat Rx out there, it is also Linux based and features Upscaling for all SD Chns!! TB

montsett
21-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Alba PLC, also known as bush, hinari, goodmans, breville(as in toaster), Harvard, International, Ministry of Sound, are the market leader in low end audio, A/V and other budget CE products in Britain. there are much better if not for the same price then just a liitle more.

the way to go anyway inmho is with a pvr so you virtually have sli +,i.e to be able to record two progs while a watching previously recorded prog or chase play and the freedom to be able to watch what you want when it's convenient for you to watch it.

montsett

madgooner
21-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Hi mate i have the Goodmans upscaling reciever and i must say the picture is great improvement over my normal recievers and the built in panasonic digibox. Worth the money but the only problem is the programs that are not widescreen will be showed as the old fashioned box 4-3

doct140
24-11-2007, 12:24 AM
thanks all for reply
'madgooner thats the one im thinking about discounted at the moment 39 quid
i have 42 inh lcd 1080 is it worth it ?

madgooner
25-11-2007, 09:11 PM
It will keep you going until the freesat HD next easter!

doct140
25-11-2007, 09:44 PM
thnx mate