PDA

View Full Version : Linux HD receivers on the market

kaja008
25-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Which HD linux receivers are already on the market?
I heard that Kathrein is already out for a couple of month, but the software is still very poor.
Do you know when ABCOM IPBOX 900 & 9000 HD HDTV will be released?
It has the same processor as the Kathrein's.
According the rumours this will be more supported than Kathrein, as SF team is 100% concentrating on IPBOX instead of Kathrein.

regards,
kaja008

daxv8
25-11-2007, 03:16 PM
hi Kaja008,

I have looked at the Kathrein ufs910 and but as you say the software is reported to be an issue . This was reported on Dr Dish test .This is only been sold in Germany but at a good price when you convert from Euros .There is a dedicated formun site and software is coming out which is improving this receiver .Linux is the way to go as you say . We are all waiting on the Dreambox 8000 but what will be the cost (£500+)and also the software will be at an early stage . Any receiver has bugs in the software but is depends on the support.
The ABCOM IPBOX 900 & 9000 HD HDTV is an interesting receiver and if there is good support then this might be an option .
Have you seen a test report?

Cheers

kaja008
25-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Hi daxv8,

IPBOX was used to called CUBE REVO and was waiting for one year to get HD licence.
Now it is have HD licence and known as IPBOX manufactered by ****** company.
As per latest info it is now on stock at some german and ****** shop.
To be honest it takes some time to know if this will be supported or not, especially in the first phrase of introduction.
Just remember to Dreambox, which was a very poor box in the beginning regarding software.
I have just got a Samsung PS 42 Q92 plasma and hardly wait for getting a HD receiver, but it is only a few linux HD receivers out there, and nobody knows which one will be the best.
What I know the Kathrein has the best picture quality, but has bad software support...

Tony Baker
25-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Check out the new Humax ICord HD PVR, it's Linux based and certainly received far more than just the thumbs up from Dr Dish!! It's also worth reading the full specs on the Humax Global site, as it covers both Mpeg 2 & 4. Rgds, TB.