PDA

View Full Version : Motor GONE FOOKING WIND!!!

dude66
02-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Another year and the same SH*TE!!!! Strong wind up to 100km/h here in the west of Ireland!!!.Motor gone, dish facing past 42deg east when I left it on Astra!!! This my 3rd HtoH in 3 years!!!
Dish on cheminey....so that is it no more motor , will get a fixed dish with dual lnb for Astra and Hotbird.
Sick of those stormy winters!!!:mad:
dude66:mad:

icetea2
02-12-2007, 01:30 PM
last year the wind yanked my motor of the chimney. (flat roof). The bricks were still attached to it! Tore them clean out of my chimney...

Reception is lousy at the moment.

Got a fixed one on 30W but that one is almost useless now..

:eek:

onecard
02-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Another year and the same SH*TE!!!! Strong wind up to 100km/h here in the west of Ireland!!!.Motor gone, dish facing past 42deg east when I left it on Astra!!! This my 3rd HtoH in 3 years!!!
Dish on cheminey....so that is it no more motor , will get a fixed dish with dual lnb for Astra and Hotbird.
Sick of those stormy winters!!!:mad:
dude66:mad:

sorry to hear that, but there were some very heavy winds last night, my polar mount was bent, I can only get from 28e to 5e. I will try to repair it when the winds die out.

regards

satwyn
02-12-2007, 02:15 PM
these motors an polar mounts are too weak to do the job properly I have a precision polar mount for a 1.8M dish no wind would shift that if anchored properly

ManikM
02-12-2007, 03:01 PM
shouldnt put a dish on a chimney surely, as they are weak structures/

tr8.
02-12-2007, 04:57 PM
my big dish is 1.8, my small 1.2 both have been through gales and more, they have over 15 years of fault free service,.
The reason is simple strong mount poles, ex traffic light poles back filled with concrete, bury at least 6' then weld arms proir to fill hole with ton of concrete, dish and mount that is good quality ( channel master ) after clamping drill and pin to pole, then a 36v jack arm.

umgum
02-12-2007, 05:56 PM
one meter dish on patio mount attached to 3 4x2 paving stones :D

goping nowhere

dude66
02-12-2007, 06:22 PM
WELLLLLL!!!! Would you believe it??? Once the wind had died down I decided to try (with no hope) to move my dish......and to my surprise it works!!!!:D
NOT EVEN out of track!!! Very strange but ME VERY HAPPY!!!!
But really must think of a better motor if I want to relax when winds are mad!
Dude66:D

satpaul
02-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Not recomended also 60cm maximum by law

rkbuttoo
02-12-2007, 09:13 PM
my sky signal gone...due to the bad weather i think............................ .or could be something else??
can any one help:confused:

dude66
03-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Did you try to unplug the box for a while??
Check LNB cable.
Good luck.

Detlef
03-12-2007, 06:52 PM
WELLLLLL!!!! Would you believe it??? Once the wind had died down I decided to try (with no hope) to move my dish......and to my surprise it works!!!!:D
NOT EVEN out of track!!! Very strange but ME VERY HAPPY!!!!
But really must think of a better motor if I want to relax when winds are mad!
So the wind has just managed to spin the motor. If it is a DiSEqC motor, it probably has "go to zero" so it was able to get back in-step.

In future, if you can, drive the motor so that the dish is side on to the likely wind direction during gales.

Remember that wind exerts a force based on the square of the wind speed - so 80mph is four times as damaging as 40mph and sixteen times as damaging as 20mph.

dude66
03-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks Detlef!! Will keep it mind but here in West of Ireland(Clifden is right beside the see well exposed to the winds) and particulaly where I live the wind tend to swerve.....But for sure next time I park the dish the same way as the wind pushed it....I feel very lucky!
Thanks again.

conman
03-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Actuator arm would probably be the best bet mate.
Im using a Disque motor at the minute on top off a block off flats and if it goes I'm well screwed as have to hire a ladder to get up to the dish, but in my last residence I had a 1.2m dish with actuator arm and as far as I know its still going, as is the X girl I left there as well....good luck to them both:D

CONMAN:)

rkbuttoo
03-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Did you try to unplug the box for a while??
Check LNB cable.
Good luck.

yeh I tried it still no signal....any more ideas please:confused:

dude66
05-12-2007, 01:40 AM
OK MOTOR DEAD this time no movement!!:mad:Will have to chase a better motor now...please advise me as I do it myself..Thank you.
Dude66:frown:

Slap
05-12-2007, 02:29 AM
dude66 has water got to your connection.If you can make new connection.

ManikM
05-12-2007, 09:47 AM
what was the outcome?

DaDragon
05-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Not wanting to sound a grump or a moaner,but surely any dish on a chimney is just asking for trouble !!.Iknow sometimes there is nowhere else(although i dont believe that)
I am at the top of a very exposed railway embankment,with big trees all over the place
but with carefull positioning i have put my 1.5 metre centrefeed inbetween 2 sheds with a holly bush growing just below it.It is mounted on a 3" galvenised pole buried in about 15 bags of concrete.No matter how windy it gets it goes nowhere.I have changed the actuator once in 11 years,and that was to give me more arc (24").If you plan first before you install it will pay dividens in reliability.
Regards DaDragon

snaps
05-12-2007, 02:48 PM
i have my motorised dish as low as possible in back garden. ive given up on high dishes, as ive lost many here in Galway. So far so good the last few days ive been lucky. Even during large gusts my signal doesnt go. I know 3 people here in Galway that have lost sky dishes. When there is a SW gale i park mine as far east as i can so side of dish is at wind, like stated in the thread earlier.

dude66
05-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Here is a photo of my dish.....so you can see for yourself.
Can not do anything too windy now still!!:mad:
Dude66:mad:

satwyn
05-12-2007, 06:44 PM
is it not possible to reposition the dish and have more space between your t/k brackets add another set if possible

leesouthnufc
05-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks Detlef!! Will keep it mind but here in West of Ireland(Clifden is right beside the see well exposed to the winds) and particulaly where I live the wind tend to swerve.....But for sure next time I park the dish the same way as the wind pushed it....I feel very lucky!
Thanks again.

hi clifden is that on the edge of connermara , cause i know the place m8 when . me and me work partner use to subbie for sly ...when the first free sly offer came avaiable to rep of ireland... we were based in salthil and it was bloody terrible weather .... but really nice place galway ...:cool: right on the atlantic lol

dude66
05-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Hi Satwyn,
There are already TWO brackets to support the axe of the motor.....This is VERY VERY sturdy it never moved an inch......BUT it is the ARM of the motor that suffer most! It is put under severe pressure and end up giving.....It looks like I won't be able to go up for a while as wind are promised strong all week!!:mad:
I am really considering getting a LNB monoblock for Astra and Hotbird....they are the most popular sats anyway.....Will think about.
Thank you all for your ideas.;)

satwyn
05-12-2007, 09:11 PM
you could consider channel master 1M dish with maching polar mount 18inch actuator arm you would need 3inch mast I use alloy steel also an option my c/master 1.2 is also exposed to the elements so far no major problems 1m would be better in high winds less load on the dish

brain
05-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Hi guys
Never had much faith in Disequ so have always used a strong 36v motor plus positioner. i know its a shade more fuss but we get really strong winds and Ive never lost one yet. its mounted on a 4' bore iron pole and in eight years i am only on my second motor - mainly cos i managed to damage the casing of the first. i watch the dish bash around in gales here in the SW and when all is over it still seems to be perfectly in place. i have mounted all this on the side of a wooden garden building so if it does need any maintenance i can get at it really easily. just sharing this in case its any help. it is often possible to get a clear view in the garden. Good luck guys. Cheers - brain

Captain Jack
06-12-2007, 11:00 AM
My 1.2m dish is in the back garden on a Moteck motor, below the fence line. No probs with the wind. That's set in about 10 bags of concrete and supported by 3 scaffold poles. The motor is the weak point but haven't had any problems for well over year (although had this dish/motor up on a wall without probs for 3 years beforehand)

ManikM
06-12-2007, 11:05 AM
mate, the motek 2100 is a good strong motor!!

dude66
06-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Thanks for your tips guys.....Went up the roof today and as suspected arm of my matronic(?) motor gone.....Took down motor and now have dish pointed at 19deg east for the moment...will wait and see about replacing motor... Where it is,it is very high and as I said before it is ALREADY my 3rd motor in 3 years....so I will see.

Captain Jack
06-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Dude66... what about getting a Stab HH120 motor? They look very sturdy.

kappen
31-12-2007, 05:39 PM
Hi there.

I know this is a very old post (well, I am still older though) but I think
one possible solution will always be the same.
I had the same trouble with a polar mount and a large dish.
First of all, with large dishes the opening angle of its beam is really narrow,
thus not allowing a sloppy installation. Likewise, the smallest change anywhere (due to wind, i.e.) can bend it off-beam.

When I looked at the cost, I decided it would be cheaper to install an EGIS-Rotor, because one option is to tilt the antenna facing 90 deg up when it gets
windy. The second advantage is, that you can calibrate any new alignment (due to wind) from inside your house.

I have not had any problems ever since.

Hope this helps.

kappen

onecard
01-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Hi there.

When I looked at the cost, I decided it would be cheaper to install an EGIS-Rotor, because one option is to tilt the antenna facing 90 deg up when it gets windy. The second advantage is, that you can calibrate any new alignment (due to wind) from inside your house.

kappen

Surely this cannot be cost effective, EGIS-Rotors cost an absolute fortune, but they are without doubt an excellent rotor

regards