PDA

View Full Version : HD terestrial in Oz

crabber
05-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Isn't it about time we got HD on terrestrial in the UK?
I know there are bandwidth issues but I am in Western Australia where I always thought they were well behind, ABC for instance is still transmitted in VHF.
However channel 10 starts full 1080i transmissions in a few days and channel 7, SBS and ABC are already transmitting some HD programs.
I must admit I had never seen HD before apart from in shops and on PC at home as I am waiting (perhaps in vain) for the DB8000, but watching HD has made me realise what I am missing at home.

satwyn
05-12-2007, 03:10 PM
not long to wait I think you can always go the satellite route bbc hd is free c4 also available if you pay then more is open analogue on the way out in 18 months time then we should see some changes plenty of bandwidth to go around

cosworth4x4
05-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Isn't it about time we got HD on terrestrial in the UK?
I know there are bandwidth issues but I am in Western Australia where I always thought they were well behind, ABC for instance is still transmitted in VHF.
However channel 10 starts full 1080i transmissions in a few days and channel 7, SBS and ABC are already transmitting some HD programs.
I must admit I had never seen HD before apart from in shops and on PC at home as I am waiting (perhaps in vain) for the DB8000, but watching HD has made me realise what I am missing at home.

you should not have said that,im wondering how long it will be before you get a question can i recieve that from the uk, :D

crabber
06-12-2007, 08:13 AM
@satwyn, yes the reason I haven't gone the sat route is still waiting for a dreambox type HD receiver to come out.
As regards bandwidth I have read that even with analogue switched off frequencies could still be at a premium and worse still some channels may be sold for mobile phone use.
@cosworth4x4 I think my answer would be "you would need a pretty big aerial for 9000 miles"
Actually I have been pleasantly surprised how easy the signal is to pick up here as the standard TV aerial is vhf/uhf combined.
Do HD TV's for the UK have built in HD receivers so they are ready to go when we get some programs transmitted in HD?

satwyn
06-12-2007, 09:53 AM
I think not sd only so far you will need stb for current breed of tv's

suky
12-01-2008, 12:02 PM
HI
I am interest to see the difference in the HD quality infortuinately i can afford to by a HD receiver now.
Can we watch HD channel from a normal receiver like dreambox? Which channel in hotbird can we receive HD Chanel for the test?
thank you

crabber
12-01-2008, 01:52 PM
No not from a dreambox, we are waiting for the 8000 model for that.
There are a few HD channels on Hotbird but you would need an HD receiver to see them or an SS2 card or similar in a fast PC.