PDA

View Full Version : Help setting up a TD-110 correctly on STAB-HH120 motor

badflyer
22-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Hi all, I’ve had a fun day setting up my 1.1m dish today. It’s a Triax TD-110 and I’ve fitted it on a STAB-HH120 motor. Just need some advice setting the thing up correctly, because I struggled to pick up signals to the east of 28.2 today i.e. 39E, 40E and 53E. My location is Birmingham.

I’ve set the dish up Using 1deg west as my reference point (tuned into BBC world), the pole is absolutely vertical (according to my level stick) and I’ve set the elevation angle of my rotor to 52 degrees as per instructions. I’m using an Infineon 0.2db LNB.

The elevation of the dish was the next challenge. I’ve set this to 33 degrees, looking at the scale on the side. I’m not sure if this is the correct figure, (can someone confirm?) but it definitely gave me the strongest SNR on my Dreambox 500s signal meter on 1W (TV and dreambox were both in garden!)

I also noted the motor doesn’t turn further than 40E, even with me pressing the “Go east” button on diseq screen. ..It’s an old motor. I did do a return to 0 deg in dreambox to reset the rotor counter and that seemed to work ok, so can only assume rotor is knackered towards the east limit?

My aim is to get some Russian channels on 53E for the Mrs, but that didn’t happen today! So, here are my 2 questions, what is the correct elevation angle for TD110 for my location to get 1W, and do I need a new motor, if so, which one. Many thanks

echelon
22-12-2007, 05:49 PM
td110 is 26 degrees on its offset , so you need to subtract 60 - 52 = 8 degrees from this giving a dish settings of 26 - 8 = 18 degrees when on 1 west

some motors have physical limit setting stops so you may find this causing your problems , or maybe you need to delete any east-west limits on your dreambox

even if you do all this I am not sure you will see any russian channels on 53e as I dont remember much on 53e if anything at all , just utr and hth

badflyer
22-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the reply echelon, Agreed! 26 deg is the offset as per manufacturers datasheet and the equation to get the elevation is as per the Stab hh120 instructions. I also agree the number works out to be 18 degrees on 1W.. but on the dish itself, i had to set the elevation to 33deg to get a good snr... strange..

Do you know where the diseq limit values are stored in dreambox? It's not in satellites.xml, I just looked in there! thanks again

echelon
22-12-2007, 06:39 PM
I know nothing about dreamboxes which is why we have dreambox forums m8 , so ask in there imho

as for the elevation , did you set the motor elevation or the latitude angle ?

52 degrees latitude on my non-stab motor is 38 degrees elevation angle on the rotor

I would say you should set the stab to latitude 52 degrees and the td110 dish angle to 18 degrees and find bbc world on 1 west
as 1 west is 1 east of you then set the motor to 1 east for thor so that the zero point is true south

the markings on the motor and the dish should both be on the left hand side as viewed from the rear of them

NeasdenNW10
22-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Both my Stab motors, HH-100 and HH-120, have latitude marked on the side.
According to Multimap, Birmingham is (as close as dammit) 52.5north and 1.9west.
I know that I am 3 degrees further east and 0.4 degrees further south than you. I get good reception, russian channels, on the following transponders off of 53east with a 1m dish.
10974H, 8150.
11031H, 3750.
11161V, 5787.
cheers Norm.

Captain Jack
23-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Also 11044V is strong and carries a good host of Russian chans.

A lot of setting up process is trial and error. You cannot rely 100% on the figures marked on the dish/motor. You'll no doubt need to do some minor adjustments. Also, on my Dreambox, the longitude/lattitude settings are waaay out of what they should be. I am 51.5 degrees north but the setting in the DB is 60! I am sure this probably has a lot to do with my dish being somewhat out of alignment, but it tracks the sky perfectly between 53E and 43W with "incorrect" settings.

NeasdenNW10
23-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Hi Captain Jack
Trouble, I find, with 11044V is the high symbol rate. I've tried a couple of TM's and a C-Tech on that transponder recently but never got a picture.
Norm

Captain Jack
23-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Odd. Works OK on my DM7020 - although, I must I admit it, the signal is slightly lower with this higher SR than when it was around 30000.

bgsats
25-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Badflyer, are you sure the centre mark on the stub of the Stab motor is aligned accurately with the centre (not marked) on the bracket on the back of your dish.? If not, you would have to alter the dish elevation to compensate, the dish wouldn't track properly, and you would have more travel on one side of the arc than the other. You probably checked this, but I didn't see any mention of it in your post. I can't remember what the maximum travel might be on the Stab, but the info should be around somewhere. I believe they're the same motor as the Cryptik and the Manhattan HH100 or 120, probably others too. You would need approx 110 degrees total - 55 either side of South. I seem to remember it should be OK.

NeasdenNW10
26-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Some new Russian channels on 45east, 11550V, 27500, fta.
My Stab Rotor Sat HH100-HH120 motor handbook states
Angle of rotation +/- 65 degrees
Mechanical limits +/- 70 degrees
Norm

Captain Jack
26-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Thanks NW10, got them :)

notmyrealname
27-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Hi Captain Jack
Trouble, I find, with 11044V is the high symbol rate. I've tried a couple of TM's and a C-Tech on that transponder recently but never got a picture.
Norm

Hi m8,
Thats strange just scanned this transponder (11044V) and got 9 Tv channels and a few radio no problem. Nice strong signal too. Using technomate tms1500+ and 1meter gibertini dish.Location near Manchester.
PS- for anyone searching for this satellite the strongest transponder by far is 11.616V 2894,
regards,
nmrn

badflyer
01-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Hi all, and happy new year!
Today i moved the concrete slab, patio mount, motor and dish as far to the back of my garden as possible. I am happy to say that i'm now picking up 39E and every west of it ok! Looks like i still have a problem with 42E,45E and 53E and the reason is i think my neighbours roof may be blocking the line of sight of my dish. I still wont give up on this so i think the next option is to fix some brackets to my rear garden wall, get rid of the slab and use a pole to hold the dish and motor. Need some help with the geometry to calculate how far up the pole the dish needs to be mounted to clear the neighbours roof. Also, is it possible to have an imaginery line reference with the naked eye from the dish to the sky? If so, please tell me how to do it (i hope that makes sense).
Thanks for any help.

bgsats
01-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Once you know the reqired view angle for, say, 42E, you can cut a triangular template, place it on a horizontal surface (table?) and look along the sloping edge. Rather crude, but works. Or trial and error with a fixed dish - don't disturb your motorised setup, acquire another dish from somewhere. Or for the neighbour's house - dynamite.:)