PDA

View Full Version : What bolt and raw plug size for t&k bracket? What sat meter?

Satman68
26-12-2007, 07:46 PM
I am in the process of attaching t&k brackets to a wall. What size bolt and raw plug do I need? Can anyone tell me the specific type for both so I can order them or mention the spec for a friend to purchase for me.

What sat meter should I get. I am hopefullly using a h-h 36v motor, these are harder to setup than a disqec type so I think a meter should be of use. I have a budget of £40.00

Thanks

Satman68

echelon
26-12-2007, 08:25 PM
I used 10mm rawlbolts which do not use rawlplugs

Satman68
26-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks for that. As I am not familiar with these, can you say which bolts and raw plugs I could use - Thanks. Can anyone recommend a sat meter?

echelon
26-12-2007, 09:23 PM
if you re-read my answer its quite clear

10mm rawlbolts

no plugs needed or used

Satman68
26-12-2007, 09:40 PM
I did understand your reply-Thanks. I was just thinking if I could use an alternative ie. rawplug and bolt. I will check out the ones you suggest.

echelon
26-12-2007, 09:42 PM
you can use 10mm rawlplugs and suitable coach bolts like the ones used for sly

10mm rawlbolts dont use plugs and are much sturdier

Gone_Fishing
26-12-2007, 10:13 PM
I also used rawlbolts on my T & K and they have never moved :)

I wouldn't use raw plugs not a strong enough fixing IMHO

TNT

onecard
27-12-2007, 12:45 PM
I am hopefullly using a h-h 36v motor, these are harder to setup than a disqec type
Satman68

A h-h 36v motor is not really any harder to set up than a disqec, and in my opinion can be easier depending on the access to the dish.

umgum
27-12-2007, 01:44 PM
rawlbolts all the way

echelon
27-12-2007, 01:51 PM
10mm rawlbolts , definitely

alternatives ? = there arent any really

montsett
27-12-2007, 08:11 PM
or rawl studs

deffo 10mm

montsett

Satman68
27-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks again everyone. I will go with the rawlbolts. I will might now have a go at the 36v motor instead.

aslat
27-12-2007, 09:09 PM
yep...10mm rawlbolts

Don't forget a decent 10mm masonry bit for your drill

Mark the holes, drill to the depth of the whole rawlbolt length. Remove the actual bolt and tap the housing into the hole. Mount your bracket, put the bolt through and tighten with a ratchet.

..make sure the hole is the right size and not too tight (oo err missus) coz rawlbolts are usually one-way..once they're in, they don't usually come out..

cleanrite
27-12-2007, 11:18 PM
As above 10mm good strong fix into masonary, Dont use any cheap shyte, get proper original rawlbolts.
dont drill too deep,

Barney
28-12-2007, 01:47 AM
yep 10mm rawbolts.... and also i use my sat meter satlook micro plus best meter ive ever had been my 3rd eye for many a year,
best of luck,
barney

Satman68
28-12-2007, 04:36 PM
This may sound a little odd, but I may need to move the dish again at a later date. If I turn the rawlbolts anti-clockwise to 'close' the end of the 'bolt' will it slide out? Or should I go with raw plugs and bolts, I realise these are not as strong. I will be mounting a 1m dish on two 't' brackets and an 8ft pole. This will be slightly sheltered from the wind because it will be about 10ft from the ground behind a sloping roof of an external garage. The dish will just clear the roof when it turns to 45deg east. Thats the plan anyway. I am no good at heights and I would like to install it myself.

Satman68

cleanrite
28-12-2007, 04:44 PM
satman68 If your not confident and not sure ,get someone who knows what they are doing,these dishes on an 8ft pole need to be put up properly and need to be SAFE.
safety is the word, not only for you, but for other people.

Rawlbolts once in will not come out,if they are put in place properly,RAWL PLUGS ARE A BIG NO NO as they ARE NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO WITH HOLD AN 8FT POLE AND DISH.

Satman68
28-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Thanks for your advice. I think its rawlbolts then. I have setup a disqec moto on a temporary floor mount and help setup my father-in-laws diseqc on a wall high up, but I was able to stand on his flat roof and reach the dish from a small set of ladders. I will be doing something similar now but with rawlbolts. You have answered my question regarding the bolts and which way to go-Thanks

charlie
31-12-2007, 12:27 AM
ALL depends on the material you are fixing into ,rawbolts great for brick and concrete,but for building block recommend 2 inch by 10 galvanised screws with appropiate good plastic rawplugs

ka004h9564
31-12-2007, 12:39 AM
ALL depends on the material you are fixing into ,rawbolts great for brick and concrete,but for building block recommend 2 inch by 10 galvanised screws with appropiate good plastic rawplugs

Glag you aint putting my dish up.
lol
Ken.

lee32uk
31-12-2007, 01:14 AM
Get some of this type of rawlbolt and you wont go wrong

_http://www.acefixings.com/products/cat/84/medium-and-heavy-duty-fixings/expansion-bolts/rawlbolts/

charlie
31-12-2007, 01:31 AM
Fair enough rawbolts are the best but i have a motorised d80 cm dish fixed to my wall , and have used the plastic rawplug with 10mm sguare head screws, for the ultimate fixing on brick and concrete i recommend hilti redheads.

Detlef
31-12-2007, 01:44 AM
This may sound a little odd, but I may need to move the dish again at a later date. If I turn the rawlbolts anti-clockwise to 'close' the end of the 'bolt' will it slide out?

Here I have to disagree with cleanrite as it is possible to remove a rawlbolt from the wall.
1) Undo the bolt and remove all the bracketry.
2) Then screw a bolt back in to the wall part by about 3 turns.
3) Tap the bolt in a further 6 to 8 mm in into the wall
4) It should now release the clamping wedge (cone) sufficient to wriggle the metal part out of the wall complete with the bolt.

But it is a bit messy to install it and then move it later (unless you are moving house, of course) as you don't want too many 10 mm holes in a nice wall.

ABA
31-12-2007, 01:22 PM
i use m8 10s they are 14 mm rawlbolts but you will need a 14 mm masonry drill bit but i tend to go over the top a little but please put then in to the brick not the compo joint
as to t & k brackets where is the dish going to go against the wall just above the gutter
if its just above the gutter they only want to be as big as to let your mast clear the cutter
if dish is going against the wall you will need clearance to swing your dish around

and the cheepest place to get rawlbolts is screewfix direct

Jono
31-12-2007, 01:58 PM
10mm Thunder bolts 10mm bit no plugs needed they just tap in to the red brick and i ain't had any problems have a 1.2 ch master dish with 4 k brackets going above my dormer all fixed with thunderbolts 8mm would also do with 8mm masonry bit but don't go below that.
Get motor on 0 then try to find Atlantic bird 5w then go for there it should find all sats on the ark if your in NW. Make sure you use the instructions with motor to find setting for it for your location.

Regards Jono
http://www.leofixings.com/images/large_images/Thunderbolt.jpg

TheBadger
31-12-2007, 03:36 PM
:confused: Anything which expands in the drilled hole should not be used close to the edge or top of a wall. Much better are "Multi-montis" which don't require plugs as they cut their own thread in all but the hardest of building material.

^^COMPASS^^
31-12-2007, 04:59 PM
well i used chem fixing & 12 mm studding
if my house falls down i garantee my t&k brackets will still be bolted to the bricks :D

i used these on a daily basis when i worked on flats refurbs in Gateshead to bolt on s/steel supports for new brickwork. & cct masts :D