PDA

View Full Version : Help with dish inclination, please

norton850
08-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Hello All

I am in the mid-west of England.
Lat = +51.56, Long = -1.78
I am having trouble seeing satellites at the extreme ends of the h-h mount travel.
I have a 90cm dish and a Criptik Digital H-H Long Mount.
The mount is clamped to a vertical post attached to a south facing wall.
The clamp and post are fixed firmly and do not move.
To align the dish on Thor, the inlination should be 31 deg.
My problem is that the H-H Mount is itself inclined back toward the wall - it looks like about 5 deg, but I cannot measure it.
If it is 5 deg, then the dish should be inclined a further 26 deg, and this is what I have set it at.
If the Criptik Mount inclination is not 5 deg, then this may be my problem.

Does anyone have any information on the Criptik Mount?
A specification with a drawing would be nice.
This might clear up my uncertanty about the 5 deg slant.

Many thanks.
norton850

echelon
08-01-2008, 04:29 PM
I cannot answer the question posed but can give you my thoughts

I have used a stab 120 motor in the past and currently I use a Moteck SG2100 Diseqc Motor , both of these are inclined away from the vertical , and the only vertical you need is the actual pole mount that the motor connects to, which must be totally plumb in all directions

so I would say as long as your pole is vertical you dont need to worry about the motor

which brings me onto the dish , which I assume is an offset dish

now mine is a triax 110cm dish , 26 degrees offset by design

in my case I am at 53 degrees latitude , so you subtract this from 60 , leaving 7 , and subtract this from 26 offset , giving 19 , so my triax is set to 19 degrees offset

I assume your dish is offset so you need to know what this offset is

and in your case its 60 - 51.5 = 8.5 , so subtract this from the dish offset which gives you the angle to set the dish on the motor , set the motor to your latitude and adjust onto bbc world on 1 west , and lock it up and test

so looks like you need to find the dish offset angle

norton850
08-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Hello echelon,

I understand what you say.
Unfortunately, I did not do the original installation so I am not sure who the manufacturer of the dish is.
Still, I will try to get up there this weekend and look again.
I will also try (beg, steal or borrow) an inclinometer so that I can assess the offset of the dish.

Thanks for your time.
norton850

Tony Baker
12-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi Echelon,

Thanks for all your tips and advice over the years it's all been very useful. As is your explanation in this thread about obtaining the correct Dish Inclination angle.
However, yesterday I attempted to mount a SuperJack DG:120 motor onto my 85cm dish and struggled like a lot of other people have on here to find the correct Inclination angle! The reason for this is that I was mounting it onto a Lenson Heath mesh dish and unfortunately did not know the exact "Offset Angle" for the Lenson Heath dish!

I understand your formulae for working out the angle etc. But it looks as though to get it right,--you must have the Dish Offset Angle! Otherwise even if you have spent ages carefully making sure that the mounting pole is vertical the rest can prove to be all purely guesswork!!

I'm in Southampton so my Long is:1:38W and the Lat is:50.9N.

So if anyone happens to know the correct Offset for a Lenson Heath 85cm dish that would solve my problem!

Rgds, TB.

Burnham
12-01-2008, 01:53 PM
The offset for a Lenson Heath 80cm dish is 22°

They never made a 85cm dish - but the 80cm dish size is 80cm x 86cm, so I reckon you have the 80cm dish.

Tony Baker
12-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the Info Burnham, it's much appreciated and a great help!

Rgds, TB