PDA

View Full Version : KATHREIN UFS910 HDTV Satelite Receiver Info

sstylianou1976
11-01-2008, 03:22 AM
KATHREIN UFS910

Are you really HD-Ready?

So you're thinking about getting into the HD game, is that right? Let me share my experience first.
First of all, try to answer the following questions.

1. Do you own at least a 37-inch HD-Ready display?
2. Do you have access to any premium (encrypted) HD channels?
3. Can you imagine an HD receiver without getting any HD ****?

If you answered NO to any of these questions, maybe HD is not for you. You should realize that although the quality might seem great at first even on smaller displays, only a larger screen will give you the real HD experience and will guarantee you won't get bored soon. You see, the problem with HD today is very limited content and many repeats on all HD channels, leading to the impression that most of the time HD is just about the amazement upon the perfect picture quality, which you can't really experience with a 32-inch TV screen. That is exactly what happened to me. First I bought a Humax HDCI 2000, about a year ago, when I had a 32-inch TV and could access only Premiere HD and Canal Sat HD using various CAMs and season interface and lincard emu running on a virtual PC. After less than a month I got bored and sold that piece of **** receiver.

HDTV with Kathrein UFS910

A few days ago, already equipped with a 42-inch plasma, I took the plunge and bought the Kathrein UFS910. What a great machine! OK, it still can't do diseqc 1.2 but don't let that discourage you. You can still connect up to 4 LNBs which should pretty much cover all your HD needs. Moreover, Kathrein UFS910 is best used as a second receiver and thanks to the LNB loopthrough on most receivers it's not a big problem to control your diseqc 1.2 motor with a second receiver if really needed. What really ****ed me off though is that UFS910 comes with probably the worst remote control in the world. All the buttons feel the same which means it's absolutely useless in the dark and you'll most likely end up buying an universal remote control because of this.

Firmware upgrade is very easy. All it takes is an USB memory stick (not all of them actually work, though) or an MP3 player or even a digital camera with all the needed upgrade files, connected to the front USB port. Everything else is done automatically. Today, there are about three different images based on the official 1.04 Kathrein software, but all of them are pretty much the same when it comes to functionality with just minor differences.

Most of the HD channels were found without a problem but to my unpleasant surprise, UFS910 did not find any Digiturk HD nor the Polish N channels which is a real letdown. And speaking of Polish TV... guess what... even in HD you'll still find channels without original audio track. But to be fair, this goes for Germany and France as well. Getting access to Premiere HD, Cyfra HD and Canal Sat HD is not so difficult, but the problem is that only the movie channels come with original audio track (and that's not even 5.1 sound!). So if you're mostly interested in channels like Discovery HD in English, you will need to have access to Sky or Canal Digital as other pay-tv platforms don't offer English audio track on these channels. I have also noticed that most of the National Geoghraphic HD shows look like upscaled SD, unlike Discovery HD (the German one), which is simply perfect... but sadly in German. By the way, SD channels upscaled to 1080i by UFS910 look like crap.

Let's bring on the cardsharing already!

What makes UFS910 so special is the unique software support, not available for any other HD receiver on the market. Mgcamd, Camd3 and Evocamd are already fully functional. Add HDD recording (to an external USB2.0 HDD) and you've got one excellent HD receiver. While other HD receivers might offer better functionality, like UPnP support for example, fully working cardsharing is simply something you REALLY CAN'T live without. Why you ask? Well even if you've got an HD subscription, your channel lineup is still pretty miserable and the only way to enjoy HD to the fullest is to get as many HD channels as possible.

I was a little affraid of that... and my concerns were justified. It is very important to realize that HD channels don't usually form part of the full subscription package but have to be paid for extra. That is why I haven't succeeded in opening as many HD channels as I would like. For example most of the Canal Digital HD channels are not opening as only Canal+ HD and SVT HD are available without paying extra. Take this as a warning and bear in mind that accessing HD channels on most common cardsharing networks will be unsuccessful. This, of course, will probably lead to the creation of HD-specialized cardsharing networks in the future.

Let's sum it up.

UFS910:

+ is currently the only HD DVB-S2/H.264 receiver with FULLY WORKING Mgcamd and Camd3
+ supports recording to external USB HDD
+ has software support which includes various non-official images and channel settings editor

- didn't find many MPEG4 channels (Kabel Deutschland, N, Digiturk), some transponders, however are scanned twice
- has no diseqc 1.2
- doesn't support NTSC signals
- unpolished GUI makes channel zapping difficult
- PIDs are not updated automatically when needed
- lists channels from only 4 satellites at a time
- has just 8 favorite groups and no sorting by provider name
- comes with annoying remote
- does very bad job at SD upscaling
- switches on at 3AM without asking and starts updating EPG... what the I'm Queer Sorry!?
- its LNB loopthrough didn't seem to work correctly, I had to use the one on Dreambox instead
- won't give you any HD ****, but that's not Kathrein's fault smile.gif

Now let's see some pictures!

Thanks to everyone who made it possible to take these!

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5945/camd3wv0.jpg
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2108/exqisq8.jpg
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/7279/vo2lx6.jpg
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5368/next3bl6.jpg

Many thanks to Dr Hans for this great guide on this receiver and as you can see the pictures are stunning so a good option for HDTV viewing.

Regards,

sstylianou1976

bonovox
11-01-2008, 03:56 AM
Thats cool m8. I needed this. I need to buy a HD receiver with CS abilities but the choices are very limited at the moment. The only thing missing from this receiver though is a internal card reader if I read the specs correct. I'm still looking at getting the IP box 9000HD if/when released sometime soon. Certainly this receiver is worth thinking about though, as MGcamd can connect to gbox servers so the cs should work fine.

crabber
11-01-2008, 08:40 AM
I can confirm that it does, the biggest problem is lack of a card reader and the fact that the serial port isn't fully wired so a phoenix wont work either.
I agree the IP box sounds the best bet at the moment, lets hope it is released on time and comes up to expectations.

pipino
11-01-2008, 10:50 AM
I can confirm that it does, the biggest problem is lack of a card reader and the fact that the serial port isn't fully wired so a phoenix wont work either.
I agree the IP box sounds the best bet at the moment, lets hope it is released on time and comes up to expectations.

from what i heard there will be soon support on card reading via smartgo usb

here is few shots about it

http://www.dreamboxx.nu/e107_files/public/1186416787_323_FT0_index11.jpg

http://www.dreamboxx.nu/e107_files/public/1186416787_323_FT0_070806ubbe3.jp g

http://www.dreamboxx.nu/e107_files/public/1186472793_323_FT67541_usb-kensington_01.jpg

i dont know how good is it but days will tell ...regards

Yoda
11-01-2008, 01:58 PM
I have one of these and the picture is fantastic quality, the support is steadily progressing too, new images appearing quite frequently and a nice forum to support the unit.

Yoda

borderfox
11-01-2008, 06:42 PM
I have one of these and the picture is fantastic quality, the support is steadily progressing too, new images appearing quite frequently and a nice forum to support the unit.

Yoda
Does it support CCcam or is there any murmurs of this happening soon??

Yoda
11-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Does it support CCcam or is there any murmurs of this happening soon??

Nope.

The rumours are that the cccam team are special friends with dream-multimedia ooh errr.

Yoda

bonovox
12-01-2008, 04:10 AM
@Yoda
Ok I am looking at buying one of these maybe. Can you confirm the following or give opinions -
1) Have u tried Digit Alb HD channels on this receiver, if so what are they like?
2) Is the CS easy to setup. No need for specific info but I know the dreambox config files and how to set them up so is it similar. Do u use the PC to edit the config files and then transfer by ftp?
3) Does the PVR work perfectly when recording hd channels? I am gonna buy a normal external usb hard drive which I assume will work ok?

Cheers

bonovox
26-01-2008, 05:01 AM
Yeah just got a Kathrein UFS910 HD receiver today. Pretty good machine and easy to setup. Got the CS working and connected to my dreambox using MGcamd and it works great. The pictures from Digit Alb HD channels are great. Just been watching a bit of Ghostrider and even though the films crap its worth watching when viewed in HD, with the vibrant colours. A good receiver.

borderfox
26-01-2008, 09:08 AM
If using the deck of cards as pippino shows above, how many 1 hop $hares could this machine sustain and how much of a limiting factor would a basic 512kb upload line be?
As CCcam is not possible, how would 1 hop share be with other software on nd$?

pipino
26-01-2008, 04:41 PM
If using the deck of cards as pippino shows above, how many 1 hop $hares could this machine sustain and how much of a limiting factor would a basic 512kb upload line be?
As CCcam is not possible, how would 1 hop share be with other software on nd$?

it should be less the 512 kb , just count 1kb every 6 to 10sec per peer

borderfox
26-01-2008, 04:59 PM
it should be less the 512 kb , just count 1kb every 6 to 10sec per peer

Thanks for that. Can the above usb reader be used with DM7020 with CCcam? If buying such a reader, are there others that should be considered? How difficult are they to setup/configure?

pipino
27-01-2008, 12:21 PM
good news for UFS910 owners ,now you can have diseq1.2 working

bonovox
28-01-2008, 12:37 AM
Yeah I've seen this. I don't use diseq to drive my dish anyway as I have a positioner but its a good addition. Hopefully somebody out there is making some better images for this box. Would be nice to see enigma but doubtful. Its an excellent receiver. I was very unsure about buying this for a month and am now pretty glad I bought it. Was watching Ice Age 2 on Prem HD and the picture is absolutely superb. Makes watching SD broadcasts painful now!:D

ginoworm
28-01-2008, 10:54 AM
yea the cave on premier hd yesterday was amazing, there is a new aaf image 1.3 out, this has an addons menu so now when they appear you can download plugins over the OSD.

brain
28-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Hi Guys
Since I dont use Disequ can someone just say where the support is and does it run all the DB does? If so how much and where!! Many thanks - brain

kaja008
29-01-2008, 10:05 AM
you can find more infos here: _http://ufs910.hdtvinfo.eu
not all the plugins are available than in DB, it is far away from perfect at the moment, but it is sure that has amazing picture both in SD and HD

halfax
21-02-2008, 10:23 PM
can some one explain how you can connect four lnbs
cheers

Likvid
22-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Download the Diseqc 1.2 plugin from the site above.

ginoworm
23-02-2008, 10:12 AM
source has just been released for this i believe, does that mean future enigma images??

pipino
23-02-2008, 11:08 AM
source has just been released for this i believe, does that mean future enigma images??

i dont beleive its full source m8 so will limit the possibility of making enigma as yet

halfax
23-02-2008, 03:25 PM
have download diseqc 1.2 but instructions are in german on out to load , any ideas ?
thanks
by the way i think it is a great piece of kit for the price

fchef
13-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Hi guys, I am thinking of buying this receiver myself. So can this act as a server since there is no smartcard slot? Is there software available for this receiver to act as a server (newcs?)?

pipino
14-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Hi guys, I am thinking of buying this receiver myself. So can this act as a server since there is no smartcard slot? Is there software available for this receiver to act as a server (newcs?)?

yes m8 using phoenix thru usb

fchef
14-03-2008, 11:10 PM
So I will need a usb-to serial adapter and a phoenix card reader? Can you possibly give me a link to see which serial adapter and phoenix reader are supported in this model/ Can a smargo do the job?

BIG DOG
29-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Will it do video streaming to pc via lan ?.