PDA

View Full Version : Declination confusion!?

luis88
18-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Having had to junk my h-h am now trying to set up a disecq and confused with declination. Disecq manual says 35deg-7.6 for 53 latitude = 27.4 elevation on dish scale. I'm confused in how they can state a figure when the dish offset (24deg) is unknown, any ideas?:confused:

NeasdenNW10
18-01-2008, 09:36 PM
IMHO it's a starting point. Most offset angles of offset dishes are in the 20's. Anyhow the scales on the dishes do not seem to be that accurate.
Norm

luis88
19-01-2008, 12:33 AM
I thought disecqs sounded too good to be true. So essentially were still at find 1 west and twiddle m8?:)

Tony Baker
19-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Hi,

To sort out this problem accurately you only need to read and follow the Formulae set out by Echelon in his post. (In this thread) Because as he explains once you know the correct "Offset Angle" of the dish you're using, and ensure that you have your pole mounted "Absolutely Vertical", next locate Thor at 1:W,-and the rest will all fall in place! That's the advice I followed and it worked out ok 1st time for me! Rgds, TB.

TheBadger
19-01-2008, 05:11 PM
The satellite you choose to give you true south depends on your longitude - 1W is a good starting point for most of mainland UK but not Ireland: 5W would be better. I've uploaded a diagram in zip format which might help with your angle confusion.;)

luis88
25-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Thanks guys, in reality usals proved as good it claimed to be. I set motor elevation, usals for my location, the dish elvation a lucky guess/by experience, pointed it roughly at where i knew 1w was and locked up bbc world straightaway. 15 min peaking and i was all sorted, except i nearly got blew off the ladder on the friday so tried again with the day after.
Happy days:)