PDA

View Full Version : The Lyngbox is Out!!

Zipper
01-02-2008, 09:08 PM
For those that are interested "The Lyngbox" is being distributed via a german and spanish distributor this first week of febuaury the price is £650.00 euro, other countries are to follow!.:D

PLus take a looky at the HD 720 Promo videos yeeeehhhaaaawwwwwww.

Regards.

Tarzan
01-02-2008, 09:31 PM
specs look very promising

Zipper
01-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Yuppers linux etc swappable tuners the list goes on.:D

Regards.

Eugenie
01-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Let me be the voice of reason :D

I really do not think it seems very interesting. The Lyngsat company has said that they aim this product towards enthusiasts...yet there is not much enthusiastic stuff in it;

-the Linux is NOT open source as far as I know, source codes will NOT be fully available!
-the recordings have their OWN format which can only be played on the Lyngbox.
-No streaming.
-No divX etc playback.
-They decided to NOT pay licence for 4:2:2 so that is not possible to decode.
-No blindscan.
-No multi cardreaders.
-CI shack in BACK of receiver...and it may not support all possible cams since many emu cams do not follow strict standards...and do not expect Lyngsat to offer support for illegal cams.
-No advanced signal meters as far as I know.
-No advanced DVB info...but a little more then other HDTV receivers already out.
-No IPTV
-No built-in Wi-Fi support
-No USALS support

etc etc etc...doesn´t seem very impressive to me...in fact, they have recieved a lot of criticism for their almost total lack of enthusiastic features.
I sure as hell would not pay 650.00 euro for that!

But....lets see what becomes of it...to anyone who is interested in this receiver...just go to their website (www.lyngbox.c*m) and enter the forum...lots of info there and that is where I picked up most of the info above!

tlal05
01-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Here is the full spec:-
Technical Specifications
In the box
LyngBox
HDMI cable
Ethernet cable
Power cable
Terrestrial antenna cable
Remote control
2 x AA batteries
System specification
STMicroelectronics CPU
Three CPU cores (1×266 MHz, 2×384 MHz)
System memory
RAM: 96 MB
Flash: 32 MB
Hard disk: 160 GB
Store up to 50000 channels
Software
Linux operating system
Proprietary LyngBox software
Software upgrade over Internet
Dimensions
Size (WxHxD) 384×83×256 mm
Weight 3,8 kg
Power
Line voltage AC 85-265V
Frequency 50/60Hz
Mains Power switch
Image formats
JPEG
Video formats
Supported resolutions:
576i, 576p, 720p, and 1080i
Video output
HDMI, Component (Y-PB-PR), SCART, and Composite
16:9 and 4:3 TV screen format
Audio output
Optical S/PDIF (PCM or Dolby Digital pass-through)
Analog stereo audio (2 x RCA)
Video decoder
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
MPEG-2
DVB Subtitling support
Teletext support
Audio decoder
MPEG-2
Dolby Digital (downmix)
Display
OLED front panel display
Indicators for:
Current channel
Program name
new mail
HD or SD transmission
Dolby Digital multichannel audio
PVR status
PVR
Store up to 40h HDTV or 120h ****
Time shift capability
Satellite input
Supports DVB-S and DVB-S2
Modulation: 8PSK, QPSK
Symbol rate (Msymbols/s):
DVB-S: 1-45
DVB-S2: 10-30
Frequency range: 950-2150 Mhz
DiSEqC: 1.1 and 1.2
LNB voltage: 13/18 V
Tone control: 22 kHz
Support for C and Ku band
Support for DiSEqC 1.2 motors
Terrestrial input
Frequency bands: UHF, VHF
Channel bandwidth: 7, 8 MHz
Antenna power: 5 V
Nordig compliant
Antenna output (pass-through)
Conditional access
2 x Common Interface slots
Video decoder
Universal remote control
Operate LyngBox, TV, and DVD
A wireless keyboard can be added as accessory
Audio decoder
MPEG-2
Dolby Digital (downmix)
Connectivity
100BaseT Ethernet port
4 x USB 2.0 port for external devices
Attach a storage device and transfer files
Expandability
Expansion slot for tuner expansion card

tlal05

applematt
01-02-2008, 11:04 PM
2 x AA batteries ... thats a Bonus :D

Hey ZIpper -- you love the new kit!

quibath
01-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Let me be the voice of reason :D

I really do not think it seems very interesting. The Lyngsat company has said that they aim this product towards enthusiasts...yet there is not much enthusiastic stuff in it;

-the Linux is NOT open source as far as I know, source codes will NOT be fully available!
-the recordings have their OWN format which can only be played on the Lyngbox.
-No streaming.
-No divX etc playback.
-They decided to NOT pay licence for 4:2:2 so that is not possible to decode.
-No blindscan.
-No multi cardreaders.
-CI shack in BACK of receiver...and it may not support all possible cams since many emu cams do not follow strict standards...and do not expect Lyngsat to offer support for illegal cams.
-No advanced signal meters as far as I know.
-No advanced DVB info...but a little more then other HDTV receivers already out.
-No IPTV
-No built-in Wi-Fi support

etc etc etc...doesn´t seem very impressive to me...in fact, they have recieved a lot of criticism for their almost total lack of enthusiastic features.
I sure as hell would not pay 650.00 euro for that!

But....lets see what becomes of it...to anyone who is interested in this receiver...just go to their website (www.lyngbox.c*m) and enter the forum...lots of info there and that is where I picked up most of the info above!

Hi,
Thanks for information again @eugenie
Looks like lyngbox is not The Best Choice for us.

Anyway who even expected that to be a number one?
So let`s wait better ones.

BR,Q

SatSearcher
02-02-2008, 12:06 AM
The spec on this box doesn't seem much different to my Humax HDCI2000, apart from the hard disc recording capabilities.

Eugenie
02-02-2008, 12:41 AM
To be quite honest, to me the specs are really nice for most new HD receivers on the market, the software on the other hand is what will make the winners and loosers. You´d think the manufacturers would pay more attention to that.
I don´t think I´ve been as disappointed in any of the new generation (HD) receivers as I´ve been following the Lyngbox.
When the people behind Lyngsat said that they would put out a DVB Linux unit aimed at enthusiasts I honestly got excited (I think many of us did)...until I started following the information trail over at their forum and reading the manual etc etc. It got more and more obvious that these people were just as ignorant to what enthusiasts want as the rest of the manufacturers. It seems, according to the information available, that they´ve really missed the mark (if you ask me).
I honestly do not know how they can fail so badly!? Some of these people used to use DVB2000 for crying out load! Who knows, maybe in time they will introduce real enthusiast functions but until then I´ll sure give it a miss!
I´ve said it before and I´ll say it again, there has not been any REAL DVB enthusiast software since DVB98/2000!...can you imagine what would be possible with the hardware of today!?

You guys think I complain to much? :D ...well honestly, it´s a dirty job but someone´s gotta do it!

pipino
02-02-2008, 02:01 AM
To be quite honest, to me the specs are really nice for most new HD receivers on the market, the software on the other hand is what will make the winners and loosers. You´d think the manufacturers would pay more attention to that.
I don´t think I´ve been as disappointed in any of the new generation (HD) receivers as I´ve been following the Lyngbox.
When the people behind Lyngsat said that they would put out a DVB Linux unit aimed at enthusiasts I honestly got excited (I think many of us did)...until I started following the information trial over at their forum and reading the manual etc etc. It got more and more obvious that these people were just as ignorant to what enthusiasts want as the rest of the manufacturers. It seems, according to the information available, that they´ve really missed the mark (if you ask me).
I honestly do not know how they can fail so badly!? Some of these people used to use DVB2000 for crying out load! Who knows, maybe in time they will introduce real enthusiast functions but until then I´ll sure give it a miss!
I´ve said it before and I´ll say it again, there has not been any REAL DVB enthusiast software since DVB98/2000!...can you imagine what would be possible with the hardware of today!?

You guys think I complain to much? :D ...well honestly, it´s a dirty job but someone´s gotta do it!

spot on Eugenie!! very well said !(off topic)i wonder about the picture you have as avatar every time i see her i get more and more horney she is yammy :p,who is she?? is not you i hope:D:D
..regards

Eugenie
02-02-2008, 02:34 AM
Off topic :D she is a former eUrotic tv model.

satwyn
02-02-2008, 09:07 AM
do you need a licence for 4.2.2 I wonder if the quali tv makers paid

Eugenie
02-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Check out the link (4:2:2 thread from Lyngbox forum) , sad reading.
They claim that it is not worth it to pay the licence because there are only 5 (!) regular TV transmissions in 4:2:2 in the world...they actually do not understand that it is the 'wildfeeds' people are after...what a bunch of morons!

_http://www.lyngbox.com/support/forum/discussion/13/422/#Item_0

Did the QualiTV folks pay the licence...who knows.

Likvid
02-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Yeah what a bunch of morons, no one is going to pay £650 for that crap.

pipino
02-02-2008, 03:15 PM
on top fooking ugly box looks like a big sardine tin...

EportBlue1878
02-02-2008, 04:18 PM
£650 an its only 1080i not 1080p which means its only 540 lines max so its not full hd only 1080p can use the full 1080 lines:eek:
you could buy alot more for less at £650 id want an ***y 18 year old blonde to come with it for a 24hours guide show how to use bug@r, naked star jumps included:D

xxxAxxx
02-02-2008, 05:53 PM
the box design is very good elegant
also tey think air flow for the hdd side grill (look like M3)
features disaster no cart reader
1x scart
res ist very low
no loop true (Lnb out)
and this is worse CI modul at the back many users will have lot of hard time
ex:box will be staying on a wall unit or other shelf's u can imagine if the user have a CI modul and crush or they need to do a update they have to pull out the box take out and put in again and they seat and nothinks work ha ha ha they hve to doo all that **** again sorry but this box not for every day use every think build at the back good luck to them

john539744
02-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Hio Guy's

Ever since I updated my firmware I keep getting the boot sign everytime i switch the receiver on?????

Any answers chaps:confused::confused::confuse d:

dude66
03-02-2008, 01:40 PM
@john539744
Hi do you have cams in Humax?? If you do it is the problem! You have to turn the receiver off at the back for a few seconds then on again. Then it should be ok.
Dude66:D
PS: You are in wrong thread for your question.

dude66
03-02-2008, 01:43 PM
My Goodness!!!!
€650!!!Who wants to spend that much money for a receiver!!
If I did I would be DEVORCED!!:D
Dude66:D

Likvid
03-03-2008, 04:16 PM
The Lyngbox is out now for sale in Germany and Spain.

Here is a picture from someone received his box yesterday.

pipino
03-03-2008, 04:25 PM
looks like a big chocolate box....LOL :D

Likvid
03-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Shall i order one?

raul
03-03-2008, 04:43 PM
that guy has a serious problem :) , a glen fiddich , chivas , the chocolate box and lg lcd on top of that !

Eugenie
03-03-2008, 04:47 PM
@ likvid...tell me you´re joking :D
Seriously, I just don´t understand how anyone can seriously spend so much money on such a limited unit!?

Likvid
03-03-2008, 04:54 PM
@ likvid...tell me you´re joking :D
Seriously, I just don´t understand how anyone can seriously spend so much money on such a limited unit!?

I have asked for the software sources to the box, hopefully i will receive it in the email any moment.

If i don't get the sources the box will be dead pretty fast on the market.

Likvid
03-03-2008, 04:59 PM
This answer did i get from Lyngbox and i don't understand what they are saying at all.

Me: Will the source code be made available?

Lyngbox: Parts of the source code will be available. Source code based on open source products will be made available. Source code will not be available for proprietary software developed by LyngBox Media or third parties. Source code can be requested by contacting us through http://www.lyngbox.com/support/contact/ .

Eugenie
03-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I just read it at the Lyngbox forum. Seriously, you can forget a complete source code, below is another answer from Lyngbox officals (taken from the Lyngbox forum) which pretty much spell it out;

"Based on Linux operating system, LyngBox software is a combination of open source and proprietary software. Parts of the source code that are based on open source products will be made available. Source code will not be available for proprietary software developed by LyngBox Media or third parties.

But there are no plans to make it possible to manually install new software in the LyngBox. Official LyngBox software will be updated automatically through the internet".

Basically, the Lyngbox GUI/main software application will not be open source etc, drivers are not open source either.

satwyn
03-03-2008, 05:06 PM
I think it looks like a breadbox and they want a lot of bread for it

Likvid
03-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Yeah, I just read it at the Lyngbox forum. Seriously, you can forget a complete source code, below is another answer from Lyngbox officals (taken from the Lyngbox forum) which pretty much spell it out;

"Based on Linux operating system, LyngBox software is a combination of open source and proprietary software. Parts of the source code that are based on open source products will be made available. Source code will not be available for proprietary software developed by LyngBox Media or third parties.

But there are no plans to make it possible to manually install new software in the LyngBox. Official LyngBox software will be updated automatically through the internet".

Basically, the Lyngbox GUI/main software application will not be open source etc, drivers are not open source either.

It seems the management team of Lyngbox doesn't understand the market and what Linux boxes are primarily used for in Europe.

Zipper
03-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Bloody hell I'm glad i never spent nearly 600 squids on that........i thought the topfield was small jeeeeezzzzzzzzzz, and yes you're right it was the complete lack of lyngbox's ignoring a potential customers requests that they lost a sale.:eek:

So i bought a Reelbox avantgarde instead last Friday, only problem is i now have a Reelbox V3 Lite with all the bells and whistles including HD Ext and 2 S2 Tuners WLAN card and more for sale!.:D

Best Regards.

Eugenie
03-03-2008, 06:16 PM
It seems the management team of Lyngbox doesn't understand the market and what Linux boxes are primarily used for in Europe.

Yeah, they certainly do not seem to understand much about what DVB enthusiasts wants. So, yet another receiver for housewives including state of the art Mickey Mouse software.